Sleeping Arrangements While Sasquatching

wiiawiwb

I suddenly realized I had pics from my caribou hunt last month. Here is the Cabelas Alaskan Guide 6-man tent I sleep in. It’s set up 55 yards from the cook tent.

43B36E7A-7933-4A54-AB7D-616960AE1AC2.jpeg

The cook tent is an Eskimo ice fishing tent.

5968B16A-D3DE-4278-83F7-0C058EA07656.jpeg

• Upvote 2

Cool thread!  Thanks for the info. and the great pics guys!  that inspired me to get my $20 tents down from the attic and see if they still work.  :rolleyes:  lol   I had a nice Hillary "wall tent" with a canvas top for decades, but I think i finally let the tent poles get rusted out.  

7 hours ago, xspider1 said:

.........I had a nice Hillary "wall tent" with a canvas top for decades.........

A “Hillary” tent? As in Sir Edmund Hillary?

I have always been fascinated with the Whelan shelter, even though Col. Whelan himself noted that the design was not sufficient for extreme bugs or extreme cold, both of which define the Alaskan outdoors. My ice fishing cook shack, coupled with a citronella candle, is sufficient to survive attack by the hordes of mosquitoes and biting flies. The wide open Whelan shelter would get me eaten alive. 

0308A72E-2FBF-4961-A11B-CED49393AC3F.jpeg

I’m jealous of all you western guys and your awesome tents. Maybe I’m soft but I don’t winter camp here in MN. I used to deer hunt but that was all done from the friendly confines of a cabin or house. Personally I’m a hammock guy. This past weekend in the BWCA was the first time I used the hammock and the wife and child were in a tent. Normally when camping with them I sleep in the tent. They both are now demanding hammocks for next year after trying out my set up. Thinking of giving them my ENO and upgrading to Warbonnet or Hennessy. 

15 hours ago, Huntster said:

A “Hillary” tent? As in Sir Edmund Hillary?

Yep!  My Dad bought me a tent like this, in around 1986:

hillary-tent-338x225-338x225.jpg

Nice, basic tent that I used many times, but fairly difficult to set up (requires 2 people)...

• gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic