wiiawiwb

Sleeping Arrangements While Sasquatching

MIB
On 9/22/2018 at 3:59 AM, wiiawiwb said:

What do you folks use for housing arrangements while out in the field?

Varies a lot with weather and whether it's a car camping trip or backpack-in trip.

My current car camping setup is a Marmot Limelite 2 tent set up at least half under a tarp which allows me in and out in the dry and gives room for cooking, etc under cover.   I throw down a Cabela's cot pad and use an older Hollofill II semi-rectangular bag with a Thermarest down blanket to throw over the top if the bag is not warm enough.    The whole thing breaths good so condensation is not an issue and it gives me plenty of bug-free space.  I really like the bent-pole design on the tent because the sides go up vertically a foot or more before curving in which really increases the useful floor space.

Typically my backpacking is summer, not constant rain, maybe t-storms, hopefully not.  I go pretty light.  

The setup used most includes a Bearpaw Wilderness Designs bug bivy, a Thermarest NeoAir pad, and a Western Mountaineering MityLite bag.    I generally pack a cuben fiber tarp as well .. just in case.   The alternate setup uses the same pad and bag but exchanges the Bearpaw WD bivy for a ground sheet and an REI Bug Hut I.   The BP WD bivy is lighter, the Bug Hut 1 is a little easier to get in and out of.  

I have a bunch of other stuff to choose from if weather changes so I can really fine-tune my gear to conditions.   I admit it, I'm a gear junkie / addict.

MIB

• Upvote 1

Lamplight

My wife and I usually camp in our truck, which is a 1995 Mitsubishi Montero, mentioned in the squatching vehicle thread. We took all the seats out of the back and made a sleeping platform and slide-out cutting boards/cook stove surface. My wife made the curtains for the sleeping area.

For backpacking we have a small, waterproof Nemo tent. It's very minimalist, and has a tiny footprint which is useful in the Cascades. In my single days I used a Hennessey Hammock with a Hammock Gear down underquilt. Quite comfortable and pretty effective in our rugged terrain here, but useless for two people.

• Upvote 1

RedHawk454

I've had a lot of success with this Kelty one man Tent.  It's an easy pack in-pack out tent if hiking in or driving to some spot.

1FUCc4f.jpg

LHmMliN.jpg

Edited by RedHawk454
  • Upvote 2

norseman
BFF Donor

Nice job! Plussed!

Where are you camping?

RedHawk454
18 hours ago, norseman said:

Nice job! Plussed!

Where are you camping?

The one site where I drove my jeep is here

nf4b6Y0.png

aVjP1fw.png

Pikes peak below

pT3NhJB.jpg

The snowy one is in southern Wyoming in the Medicine Bow National forest.

norseman
BFF Donor

Nice country!