Sleeping Arrangements While Sasquatching

wiiawiwb

Huntster -

I have much better toys than a silly little Glock if that's what matters.    I didn't not-look because of fear, I "not-looked" because at that moment, it never crossed my mind to do so despite what I heard walk up and stand there.   It's hard to explain the detachment, it's not rational, and it didn't hit me 'til a few days later when I was trying to lay out what'd happened to a friend that I realized how out of character not-looking was.   THAT is when it started to be disturbing.  

Madison -

It is an amazing camping area.    Fishing, too.   It's a fairly brutal 9 mile round trip day hike with 1700 feet of climb, then 500 feet of drop which has to be reversed to exit.   Done it a few times ... worthwhile IMHO.

It was scary the first night dealing with 1 infant and either 2 sub-adults or 2 females ... or more.   The adults were edgy and seemed intent on "control" .. I presume it was triggered by the presence of the infant.   The second night was pretty cool.   It seemed to be a lone adult male.   He seemed to assume he was in control to such a degree that he wasn't bothering to assert it.   Much less uncomfortable.    I'd much rather deal with the alpha males ... on one hand, much more dangerous if they choose to be, but on the other hand, seemingly much less inclined to choose to be.   

Fun times.

MIB

20 minutes ago, MIB said:

.......... I didn't not-look because of fear, I "not-looked" because at that moment, it never crossed my mind to do so despite what I heard walk up and stand there.   It's hard to explain the detachment, it's not rational, and it didn't hit me 'til a few days later when I was trying to lay out what'd happened to a friend that I realized how out of character not-looking was.   THAT is when it started to be disturbing.........

Well written. I understand. It is indeed difficult to explain, but the word "detachment" is a good word to include. Been there, done that, more than once, and two times that immediately come to mind there was an element of complete surprise on my part. Once I was shot by a sniper, and another I surprised a large bear in a place (but not moment) where I expected one to be. In the bear incident, upon seeing the bear, I reacted perfectly with my actions up to and through my first shot (which was a good one).............and then I "detached" as I watched him roll backward, spin, thrash,...............and then lope away.

Much later, back at work, a friend called it "buck fever". I disagreed, pointing out that my actions through the first shot (despite my initial surprise) were immediate and perfect, and he pointed out that "buck fever", which I never truly understood despite being a lifelong hunter, has no required timeframe. To this day, as you correctly write, I can't say he was correct or not, I can't adequately explain it, but it's very real.

Moreover, since 2012, when I drove my pickup truck through the ice and to the bottom of a large lake at 44' deep, I've also been dealing with PTSD in a very alert, expectant, and educated way. Unlike 1975 when I was shot and PTSD was still a psychological phenomenon newly recognized in Vietnam veterans and undergoing new, intense, and continuing research, I fully expected to feel its effects after my brush with death trapped in my truck at the bottom of the lake. I even knew what those effects would be since I had gone through them more than once before.

I'm learning that I knew nothing, but also that 7 years later I'm still learning that I don't understand so completely that my new experiences really won't be of much help to me or others. I'm quite confident that people who experience sasquatch encounters deal with very unique PTSD effects for the rest of their lives afterwards, and there's really not much they can do about it, even if they're wise enough to understand that they're going to go through it.

Suffice it to say that I now strongly believe that PTSD has a definite cumulative effect. Each time one adds another psychological trauma (and that includes emotional trauma like fear, loss, surprise, etc as well as physical trauma), your mental health dies that much more, and recovery might not be forthcoming. My PTSD, starting in my childhood and being built upon every few years since with fresh traumas, emotional wounds, fears, and even major disappointments have destroyed me, and hurt everyone around me. 

I'm crazy to want to see a sasquatch. Maybe that desire says a lot about why my life is not much more than a collection of regularly scheduled traumas?

• Upvote 3

^^^^^^

Just as a footnote, I've sequestered myself in my bedroom for the past several days with the blinds drawn due to another breakdown of some sort. I've been doing a lot of reading during this time. It's remarkable what one can find when one looks for it.

"Knock, and it will be opened unto you. Seek, and ye shall find".........

At any rate, cumulative PTSD is extremely common among front line police officers, even those who haven't experienced lots of deadly gunfights themselves simply by dealing daily with murder, suicide, and accident victims, the anguish of victims families, or even just the regular exposure to evil (which is most definitely something I have felt and have a definite ability to detect).

But this caught me by surprise! Apparently, the longer one accumulates trauma, the more it affects one's sense of smell! 

https://www.biologicalpsychiatryjournal.com/article/S0006-3223(17)30567-X/fulltext

It was brought to my attention nearly 20 years ago that I had lost my sense of smell, just before or just after I had been shot in the head, and most definitely my worse gunshot injury, and the one that took the longest time to recover from (lost my eyesight in my right {dominant} eye that took years to fully regain). What is amazing is that the damage to the eye healed fully, but my sense of smell appears to be gone forever. Today is the first that I'm learning that it may be associated with PSTD.

The PTSD associated with sasquatch exposure, in my estimation, could be particularly damaging with the added factors of others rejecting your claims, including officialdom, in addition to the wonderment one would engage in for the rest of his/her life afterwards over what they had seen.

Edited by Huntster
  • Upvote 2

Speedy recovery, Hunster. And you're right, I have read much and learned much myself in the last almost 6 years that I've been here. Only about 20% was about Bidfoot. The other 80% was all the peripheral science and subjects associated around the creature. Be well, my friend. 

• gigantor featured this topic
1 hour ago, Huntster said:

I've sequestered myself in my bedroom

Get out of that bedroom and get into the woods. We are of the earth, and when we lose our connection to it we go crazy. In the woods, you will be with god, you will see his wonders and you will understand his way and therefore yours.

It's in large part a sleep problem. I can't sleep at the appropriate times, then later crash from exhaustion. It's also common in the spring. For a number of years it appearred also associated with cluster headaches, but that also appears to be age related, because I haven't had any of those in a few years. 

When I had to go to work, anyway, and make things happen, it was pure Hell. At least now I can just blow the world off and stay in bed. Got wifi, streaming, and a refrigerator just 40' away, and safe from bears and bigfeet. It beats the best tent I've got (I know........I did 6 days in a tent in sub-zero temps alone on an ice fishing trip that went bad some years ago.........I got really sick).

• Upvote 1

I'm either in a Marmot Limelight, rarely in a Henessy hammock, as the human burrito, out on a cot if no bugs or the back of the Rover, which is preferred to the  hammock if only for the insect free view. It's a deathtrap as far as accidents on a roadway but all the glass sure makes it nice to see out of. That said, I still like the tent for getting to those sweet spots, not to mention the sounds are much easier to hear. I'm never going to have the experience of something waking me up by sticking its muzzle into my back through 4 mils of nylon in the truck. I'll never know what that was...

R0027108.thumb.jpg.6dde40e0ec8203c974ed74de832131f4.jpg

R0018774.thumb.jpg.4629c9f94530abbf2ea3b086c89e6b4d.jpg

Later, with the carpeted sleeping platform installed:

R0032272.thumb.jpg.b219826bb9c34a2afd60715f51db3b3f.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

^^^^ Marmot Limelight is my choice of car camping tents these days.    Mine is the 2P.   Not sure about the old ones, the new ones have poles that go straight up about a foot, then have a dog-leg and change to a more normal dome tent.   That bottom foot or so having vertical walls makes the whole floor space usable for sleeping, not just storage.   Like it ... like it a lot.   I usually set it up where I can use a large flat tarp overhead and just put the center line of the tent under the tarp so water runs off.   Dry entry/exit and a large space out front for a lawn chair, gear storage, cooking space, etc.

My current ride is a 2014 Tacoma crew cab with a 5 foot bed ... even with the tail gate down, not truly long enough to sleep in so a tent of some sort is a practical necessity.

MIB

Lets see I once let others sleep in my camper on the upper part of the part of the comfort part of the camper so that they could sleep well, While I slept on the floor away from the windows so that I would not be grabbed by these creatures. While at the same time my brave pit bull slept on the couch near the windows comfortably. The worst thing about this whole deal was is that my brave pit bull at around 2:00 am in the morning decided to wake me up. His sleeping arrangement was him coming around my head and waking me up while was on the floor because there was some thing near the window that was spooking him that was spooking me. What ever was spooking him that was spooking me was trying to enter the camper and was trying to open the door.. Again At the time I did have my Kimber 45 and I did lock and load  but my dog did not make a fuss and was shaken so this put me in a state of shock.

The two that were in my camper were well asleep and I could not awake and I was way to nervous to even try. So all I could do was to hold my pistol and hope that they do not enter. But if you understand my encounters from the start then you would understand why I slept on the floor of my camper. This is not the most oddest thing I have done when I have camped since my encounters cause I have done other odd things as well for my own safety. 

If I was to sleep out in the field I just would sleep with out being armed. I would have my pistol in hand and would be ready and shoot while I sleep. I cannot call it ptsd  because I understand what PTSD is  due to my time in the service. But being out in the field it is different and they are not what we call normal animal behavior. There has been times that I should have been killed and yet I am still alive. I was In a tent where this creature was just two feet from my head and again I had my pistol. But I held and not made a move and was shown that this thing could of killed me if it wanted to. Yet all it wanted was the salmon that was in the open and left the rock on a stump.

All I had to do was make the wrong move and it would of beat me with that rock. I would of been dead and the dudes that were with me would of found a bloody mess.But I held restraint and did not make the mistake that I was awake. But you can bet I was scared of my ass  and I locked and load my pistol as slow as I could . But my heart was pumping loud and there was no way to silent that and not even my breathing which was even harder. especially when I was trying to rack a load into the 45 .I had to use my pillow and had to do it slowly while the creature was just two feet from me. At the same time I was calling out to the other two guys that went out to the creek for water on walkie talkies..

So when people talk about sleep arrangements well , what can you realy say about sleep arrangements. You are either going to be comfortbly be where you are going to sleep where these creatures are. Or else you are going to sleep being armed  or with some type of security which is the I will always be when I am in the field . Sorry since I cannot help the way I feel since I no longer have a comfort zone while I am in the wilderness. so people will just have to be beware around me when I am out there. Yes, I do apologize to people when they do see me armed when I am in the forest but I have nothing against the people but mostly against what I do not understand.. It is mostly for my own safety..

11 hours ago, ShadowBorn said:

Lets see I once let others sleep in my camper on the upper part of the part of the comfort part of the camper so that they could sleep well, While I slept on the floor away from the windows so that I would not be grabbed by these creatures. While at the same time my brave pit bull slept on the couch near the windows comfortably. The worst thing about this whole deal was is that my brave pit bull at around 2:00 am in the morning decided to wake me up. His sleeping arrangement was him coming around my head and waking me up while was on the floor because there was some thing near the window that was spooking him that was spooking me. What ever was spooking him that was spooking me was trying to enter the camper and was trying to open the door.. Again At the time I did have my Kimber 45 and I did lock and load  but my dog did not make a fuss and was shaken so this put me in a state of shock.

The two that were in my camper were well asleep and I could not awake and I was way to nervous to even try. So all I could do was to hold my pistol and hope that they do not enter. But if you understand my encounters from the start then you would understand why I slept on the floor of my camper. This is not the most oddest thing I have done when I have camped since my encounters cause I have done other odd things as well for my own safety. 

If I was to sleep out in the field I just would sleep with out being armed. I would have my pistol in hand and would be ready and shoot while I sleep. I cannot call it ptsd  because I understand what PTSD is  due to my time in the service. But being out in the field it is different and they are not what we call normal animal behavior. There has been times that I should have been killed and yet I am still alive. I was In a tent where this creature was just two feet from my head and again I had my pistol. But I held and not made a move and was shown that this thing could of killed me if it wanted to. Yet all it wanted was the salmon that was in the open and left the rock on a stump.

All I had to do was make the wrong move and it would of beat me with that rock. I would of been dead and the dudes that were with me would of found a bloody mess.But I held restraint and did not make the mistake that I was awake. But you can bet I was scared of my ass  and I locked and load my pistol as slow as I could . But my heart was pumping loud and there was no way to silent that and not even my breathing which was even harder. especially when I was trying to rack a load into the 45 .I had to use my pillow and had to do it slowly while the creature was just two feet from me. At the same time I was calling out to the other two guys that went out to the creek for water on walkie talkies..

So when people talk about sleep arrangements well , what can you realy say about sleep arrangements. You are either going to be comfortbly be where you are going to sleep where these creatures are. Or else you are going to sleep being armed  or with some type of security which is the I will always be when I am in the field . Sorry since I cannot help the way I feel since I no longer have a comfort zone while I am in the wilderness. so people will just have to be beware around me when I am out there. Yes, I do apologize to people when they do see me armed when I am in the forest but I have nothing against the people but mostly against what I do not understand.. It is mostly for my own safety..

Camping in some Grizzly country requires people to use a hard shell. No tent camping. I encountered this up around Cooke city, Mt.

29 minutes ago, norseman said:

Camping in some Grizzly country requires people to use a hard shell. No tent camping. I encountered this up around Cooke city, Mt.

My spouse and I were each hikers and tent campers long before we met and I did much more solo camping in those days. Then we camped together for decades- always in a tent. Often times for two weeks at a stretch. When we retired we decided it was time to go West which we have dome twice now for a couple of months each time. When planning the first trip we decided on just what you said. That's why we picked up this rig. Yeah, it's small but for dyed-in-the-wool tent campers, to us it is a palace. The truck now also has a cap on it.:

1645662325_TheRig.PNG.6a7d0fe7391452106228c6fed7cd1996.PNG 

Edited by hiflier

• gigantor unfeatured this topic