BFF Census Poll

gigantor

Poll: BFF Census  

137 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

First of all cooking steak on an open grill is the worst thing you can do. Putting it on a pan, keeping all the fat is very important. Also, ruining it with whatever spices are out there is not good. The only thing you need is sea salt and olive oil and choice+ or better beef. 

Grades are 

prime

choice+

choice

choice-

select+

select

select-

anything below that, you’re into chef boyardee range.

standard+

standard

standard-

commercial+

commercial

commercial-

utility+

utility

utility-

21 minutes ago, Cotter said:

From my past experiences, I know you don't make a comment as such unless you are confident in the definition.......

A dictionary Nazi, I am. It’s an old sin taught me by nuns.

For the record, I was just trying to poke the old Texan a bit. If the sun is so hot and bright as to cook food, you will never find me in the area.

Will brings up good points about beef. For example, I’ve learned never to grill wild game over any heat. It’s just too lean, and before it even gets to medium finish, it’s way too dry. We cook game in the crock or pressure pot, or (in the case of grouse or fish) in the oven. We grill beef, pork, fish, and chicken.

I know Will is a beef guy, but I will politely disagree with his 'no beef on a grill' comment.  If done properly, a good grilled steak is hard to beat.

That said, I am a ribeye fan, maybe the marbling keeps the juices in better than say, a sirloin or tenderloin.  But I am a rare steak guy, seriously don't want to heat the inside any higher than what the natural body temp of the steer was.

I've also had excellent rare venison tenderloin on the grill.  You have a very small window to operate before your eating shoe soles.

I also am a fan of pan frying steaks, if done properly, they're hard to beat as well (but you don't get the good grill taste).

I do salt, pepper, and a dash of garlic powder on my steaks.  No olive oil, but if pan frying I use a healthy dose of pasture butter.

(Though at times I'll do a blackened steak with hollandaisse (sp?) sauce, or a coffee rubbed steak)

I've no idea of what grades of meat I use.  I almost always get my beef from a local farmer.  No large operation at all.  At times, I bet I've seen the beef I've eaten out grazing.

The times I DO happen to buy beef, it's the local butcher shop, watch em cut it in front of me.  That's where I occasionally get my 4" thick 'football' ribeyes.

Just picked up a small farmette (7.5 acres) that I've gutted and am almost finished remodeling.  Gonna move to the pastures next year and get the fences mended.  Then, a couple of my own beef cattle will be out back grazing.

Gigantor, I had no idea that this is the food thread. I'll go check my can of SPAM, regular flavor.

What is the comparison of this census to the previous one(s)?  Age groups?  No gender separation.  Afraid of being gender specific? There are many women researchers.  One of them, a member of this forum, stated that there should be a 12 step program for male researchers. True speak.

10 minutes ago, Catmandoo said:

......There are many women researchers.  One of them, a member of this forum, stated that there should be a 12 step program for male researchers. True speak.

Twelve step program for drinking? 

Good booze goes well with well grilled meats.

• Upvote 2

Guest Washingtonwildman

Rib steak for me.  Broiled rare with mushrooms, salt and pepper.  Crispy on the outside, bloody inside.  And, a cold one!

3 hours ago, NatFoot said:

What if I'm young but also a charcoal guy? Do I get into the club?

Sure, age doesn't matter, only wisdom.

3 hours ago, Huntster said:

Those of us who are environmentally aware know otherwise......

Give me a break. Go ahead and eat that crap if you want to, but don't try to compare it to BBQ.

2 hours ago, Will said:

Once again, it’s the quality of the beef, what heat you use makes no difference at all. 

You'll get no argument from me about the superior taste and quality of grass fed beef, but how you cook it sure as heck matters. Of course, some people will eat any crap that's set in front of them because they don't know the difference between food and good food.

Edited by Rockape

1 hour ago, Huntster said:

I’ve learned never to grill wild game over any heat. It’s just too lean,

Generally that's true, which is why we wrap dove breasts in bacon before we grill them. But goose, turkey, any fowl really can be smoked low and slow but you need to brine them first. A proper brine and no matter how long you cook it, it won't be dry. Works pretty good for wild pork too.

5 minutes ago, Huntster said:

Let me guess........as a Texan, do you slather on all that goo called “bbq sauce”?

No, I only use sauce on a few things, pork ribs I always brush on a thin coat or two and let it cook on.

I"m admittedly a pretty poor cook.  My go to is a hot cast iron skillet, lots of butter, sear both sides of the steak then into the oven to be warmed up just enough.   I like them rare and bloody.    Despite my poor cooking skills they usually come out good since my father is a butcher and I often times get very good steaks.    A little salt and pepper and thats it.    

Edited by Twist

It took her over 35 years, but Mrs. Huntster finally succeeded in making me the cook and chief dishwasher of the household. After a few years of that I figured out that I really like spending lots of time away from home.

I'll wash dishes all day if a good cook is willing to do the cooking.  I'll be the sous chef if needed.  I don't mind helping, I just don't have the touch.    

Admin

Y'all making me hungry!

26 minutes ago, gigantor said:

Y'all making me hungry!

I’ve been told that you can get a killer steak at a restaurant near you called Fogo De Chao. :lol:

• gigantor unfeatured and featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor locked and unpinned this topic