BFF Census Poll

gigantor

Poll: BFF Census  

137 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, Huntster said:

Ribeye is my favorite cut, too. 

That or Porterhouse. Around here we get what are called "chuck eye steaks". Not sure exactly what cut they are, somewhere off the chuck,  and they're usually kind of small but I'll put them up against any steak for flavor and tenderness.

1 hour ago, Twist said:

My go to is a hot cast iron skillet

Yeah, me too. Most of the steaks I eat I cook in a cast iron skillet.

1 hour ago, Twist said:

I"m admittedly a pretty poor cook.  My go to is a hot cast iron skillet, lots of butter, sear both sides of the steak then into the oven to be warmed up just enough.   I like them rare and bloody.    Despite my poor cooking skills they usually come out good since my father is a butcher and I often times get very good steaks.    A little salt and pepper and thats it.    

That’s exactly how I do them, except with olive oil and no pepper on the grill. They can be cooked very well in the oven with the broil setting, rack up high.

2 minutes ago, Rockape said:

That or Porterhouse. Around here we get what are called "chuck eye steaks". Not sure exactly what cut they are, somewhere off the chuck,  and they're usually kind of small but I'll put them up against any steak for flavor and tenderness.

Yeah, me too. Most of the steaks I eat I cook in a cast iron skillet.

Yep, it’s a chuck roast cut into steaks. Very tender. 

1 hour ago, gigantor said:

Y'all making me hungry!

If what we cook and how we cook it is of any importance to the poll, this has been a huge success.

1 minute ago, Will said:

That’s exactly how I do them, except with olive oil and no pepper on the grill. They can be cooked very well in the oven with the broil setting, rack up high.

Yep, it’s a chuck roast cut into steaks. Very tender. 

I've always thought so but was never sure. I think it's the small ends of the chuck,after they cut the chuck roasts.

7 minutes ago, Will said:

I've tried both seasoning before and after the cooking.    I've found a little salt right before cooking, and a little more salt and then pepper immediately after coming out of the oven.   Then a bit of resting covered with another plate before cutting or forking it.    Keep in the juices.    When I do start eating, I dip each piece back into the a pools of juice before eating.       

Edited by Twist
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rockape said:

You'll get no argument from me about the superior taste and quality of grass fed beef, but how you cook it sure as heck matters. Of course, some people will eat any crap that's set in front of them because they don't know the difference between food and good food.

Just a correction, mine are corn fed all the way. Grass fed is awful, there’s only one guy I know that can consistently get choice graded carcasses out of his grass fed herd. It starts with genetics and ends with wrapped alfalfa. The wrapped alfalfa is like candy to them and it’s the only way to get them to hog on grass. 

I start finishing in November on 8-900 lbs cattle, they each eat about 1 1/2 tons of a typical 12% corn/barley mix. My bull is the grandson to a bull named Prophet. He’s an ugly little bastard but is one of the highest marbling bulls ever. https://selectsiresbeef.com/index.php/bull-database-view-page?bid=158

Edited by Will

^^ I was going to ask if you were a butcher, chef, or just a connoisseur of fine meats.   I did not consider rancher.    My dads primarily been a beef butcher and some pig.   Grew up in a farming family.     

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Rockape said:

If what we cook and how we cook it is of any importance to the poll, this has been a huge success.......

I think it's important for any sasquatches reading this as well as our tech guru to know that there are a lot of carnivorous sasquatch hunters on this forum, and several of them like their meat still bleeding as they devour it.

2 hours ago, Cotter said:

I know Will is a beef guy, but I will politely disagree with his 'no beef on a grill' comment.  If done properly, a good grilled steak is hard to beat.

That said, I am a ribeye fan, maybe the marbling keeps the juices in better than say, a sirloin or tenderloin.  But I am a rare steak guy, seriously don't want to heat the inside any higher than what the natural body temp of the steer was.

I've also had excellent rare venison tenderloin on the grill.  You have a very small window to operate before your eating shoe soles.

I also am a fan of pan frying steaks, if done properly, they're hard to beat as well (but you don't get the good grill taste).

I do salt, pepper, and a dash of garlic powder on my steaks.  No olive oil, but if pan frying I use a healthy dose of pasture butter.

(Though at times I'll do a blackened steak with hollandaisse (sp?) sauce, or a coffee rubbed steak)

I've no idea of what grades of meat I use.  I almost always get my beef from a local farmer.  No large operation at all.  At times, I bet I've seen the beef I've eaten out grazing.

The times I DO happen to buy beef, it's the local butcher shop, watch em cut it in front of me.  That's where I occasionally get my 4" thick 'football' ribeyes.

Just picked up a small farmette (7.5 acres) that I've gutted and am almost finished remodeling.  Gonna move to the pastures next year and get the fences mended.  Then, a couple of my own beef cattle will be out back grazing.

I don’t disagree with your love of the grill, it does put a specific taste to it that pan frying eliminates. I won’t do hamburgers on anything but the grill. I like my burgers well done and my steak rare like you. The local butcher usually has choice and better. He might age his carcasses too, which really improves the tenderness and taste.

some of you may not know that aging a carcass at least 14 days is a natural tenderizer. I have mine done to 21 but they say you don’t gain much after 14. I did one for 60 days one time because the damn butcher was so busy he claims he couldn’t get to it. Carcass literally had a green carpet of mold all over it, of course they cut all that off. Been selling to a good friend of mine for years, he got that one, said it was the best one he ever had. :)

6 minutes ago, Twist said:

^^ I was going to ask if you were a butcher, chef, or just a connoisseur of fine meats.   I did not consider rancher.    My dads primarily been a beef butcher and some pig.   Grew up in a farming family.     

Just raise them, butchering is a nasty job, God bless your dad, I know how difficult it is. The butcher I use has a USDA inspector that is a good friend of mine, he’s taught me a bunch about carcasses and how to produce great beef. It all starts with genetics, then feeding, and finally dry aging and the cut.

2 minutes ago, Will said:

.......I did one for 60 days one time because the damn butcher was so busy he claims he couldn’t get to it. Carcass literally had a green carpet of mold all over it, of course they cut all that off. Been selling to a good friend of mine for years, he got that one, said it was the best one he ever had.

I came home from a moose hunt with a party of guys. Three moose carcasses were flown to Anchorage on Alaska Aurlines cargo from a native village on the Yukon River that we stopped at on the way home. When we got home all my partners pulled the “I gotta’ go to work” line (like I didn’t?) and disappeared. I went to Anchorage to get the meat. It “had a green carpet of mold” all over it. I asked the cargo agents what happened, and they said their cooler defrosted or some shit and everything inside got wet. So I go home and start trimming it off, then processing the meat and packaging it. Took me three days. It was the last moose I ever processed myself. I don’t remember any truly bad taste or anything, but it was always on my mind, and I had a bad taste in my mind. That was yet another hunting trip that helped make me a solitary hunter.

^^ Does that still not leave you alone to process the kill?   Or did you replace said friends with a nice side X side equipped with a winch? lol.    Or maybe just smaller kills.....

53 minutes ago, Huntster said:

I came home from a moose hunt with a party of guys. Three moose carcasses were flown to Anchorage on Alaska Aurlines cargo from a native village on the Yukon River that we stopped at on the way home. When we got home all my partners pulled the “I gotta’ go to work” line (like I didn’t?) and disappeared. I went to Anchorage to get the meat. It “had a green carpet of mold” all over it. I asked the cargo agents what happened, and they said their cooler defrosted or some shit and everything inside got wet. So I go home and start trimming it off, then processing the meat and packaging it. Took me three days. It was the last moose I ever processed myself. I don’t remember any truly bad taste or anything, but it was always on my mind, and I had a bad taste in my mind. That was yet another hunting trip that helped make me a solitary hunter.

The way I understand it, it’s why cattle need to be fat. The ideal fat layer on cattle seems to be about 6/10ths or a little over a 1/2 inch thick around the carcass. That leaves enough room to trim the mold off. Probably not much fat on a moose so it’s probably much harder to get it off. 

If any of that mold finds it’s way into the ground, which is the most likely place it would end up. It then will drastically change the taste for the worse. 

I had had a processor do this ONE time, we suspected that’s what it was, never used them again. 

2 minutes ago, Will said:

The way I understand it, it’s why cattle need to be fat. The ideal fat layer on cattle seems to be about 6/10ths or a little over a 1/2 inch thick around the carcass. That leaves enough room to trim the mold off. Probably not much fat on a moose so it’s probably much harder to get it off.........

It was very time consuming getting it off, and there was a lot of waste. 

There can be very thick fat on moose between the hide and meat, but no marbling at all. The fat is thickest on the rump. It can be almost 3” thick there.

1 hour ago, Huntster said:

It was very time consuming getting it off, and there was a lot of waste. 

There can be very thick fat on moose between the hide and meat, but no marbling at all. The fat is thickest on the rump. It can be almost 3” thick there.

Was the waste just fat? 

• gigantor unfeatured and featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor locked and unpinned this topic