BFF Census Poll

gigantor

Poll: BFF Census  

137 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Rockape said:

BBQ is cooked with low heat for a long time, grilling uses a hot fire and you cook it quick, like you would a steak.

Ah, well I prefer to bbq, even steak.

I am impressed I was not the only one that chose classical music. Would love to hear from the other two. I have played piano since I was ten years old. My mom insisted. 

Admin
59 minutes ago, Patterson-Gimlin said:

I am impressed I was not the only one that chose classical music. Would love to hear from the other two. I have played piano since I was ten years old. My mom insisted. 

I like Wagner, Tchaikovsky, Holst, etc 

There are 10 people who like classical....  and more people prefer charcoal.

13 hours ago, Huntster said:

Ah, well I prefer to bbq, even steak.

Certain cuts are good BBQed. I like to BBQ a thick sirloin or chuck steak. Ribeye, T Bone, Porterhouse, cuts like that I prefer grilled quick since I like them rare. I almost always pan fry my steaks though.

12 hours ago, norseman said:

My favorite is to pan sear bone in ribeye with butter and garlic.

You mean some butter and garlic on top after it's cooked? Oh yeah, now you're talkin'.

4 hours ago, Patterson-Gimlin said:

Charcoal should have been a landslide. 

The vast amounts of fast food establishments in this country proves most people don't know anything about good food these days. I don't understand how so many people eat that slop.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Rockape said:

......I don't understand how so many people eat that slop.

1) Too lazy to cook and clean up afterwards (like my brother’s family)

2) So controlled by this culture of economic slavery that they don’t have time to cook and clean up afterwards, or perform any other basic human function, like raise kids or take a walk in the woods

32 minutes ago, Rockape said:

Certain cuts are good BBQed. I like to BBQ a thick sirloin or chuck steak. Ribeye, T Bone, Porterhouse, cuts like that I prefer grilled quick since I like them rare. I almost always pan fry my steaks though.

You mean some butter and garlic on top after it's cooked? Oh yeah, now you're talkin'.

The vast amounts of fast food establishments in this country proves most people don't know anything about good food these days. I don't understand how so many people eat that slop.

Oh no! You baste it in butter and garlic while its cooking! I love using cast iron too. Because I love the seared crunch on the outside. It also holds all the juices in.

Edited by norseman

3 hours ago, norseman said:

Oh no! You baste it in butter and garlic while its cooking!

I suppose you could do that. I always just add it on top after it's done. I always use bacon drippings to fry my steak, gives it some smokey flavor.

I love using cast iron too. Because I love the seared crunch on the outside. It also holds all the juices in.

Cast iron is the only way to go. Got to have your pan good and hot for that initial sear.

• Upvote 1

Two things that go very well with a great steak, perogies with sauteed onions in butter or wild mushrooms sauteed with butter and garlic (chantrelle or bolete mushrooms) Mushroom season is just around the corner on the west coast.

^I just got a few pounds of maitake (hen of the woods) from a buddy of mine.

I haven't gotten into the bolete or chanterelle hunting yet - not confident enough in my identification.

Always nice to have someone show you first. The Chanterelles only have one sort of look alike, the Jack O Lantern (I think I spelled that right) which has open gills underneath the cap. Where as the Chanterelles is solid underneath. Once you locate where they are, you can go back year after year to harvest. Some years will be better than others. And because you know where they are, you can gently move the leaves out of the way and get the little button Chanterelles. The Chanterelles are actually one of the more safer ones to go after, and they're delicious. King Bolete is also an easy one to identify and delicious. They are sponging underneath and tend to get worms if not too fresh.

• Upvote 1

Forgot about the Morels! Best place to get them is where there was a recent forest fire, and when spring comes in the mountains, you'll should be able to find some. I like those with pasta. 

Gigantor, I tried to do the survey. But you didn't put in any manufacturing jobs in the list... I'm a machinist by trade. So I picked biology which is my educational background. Then I got to the gas/charcoal question and it won't post if you don't answer it. I happen to use a Traeger grill which I love because it smokes and BBQ's at the same time. It makes great ribs! But I guess otherwise I would be more partial to charcoal. Anyway I didn't finish the poll. 

Edited by BigTreeWalker

• gigantor unfeatured and featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor locked and unpinned this topic