BFF Census Poll

gigantor

Poll: BFF Census  

137 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, Huntster said:

We don’t have the wonderful variety of indigenous hardwoods that you guys have down there. It’s pretty much birch and alder, both of which I’ve used, and neither of which I’m impressed with. Now I use the trimmings from my apple trees, or buy wood chips at the store. I like hickory best.

I have to buy those bags of chips when I want Mesquite since it doesn't grow over here in far East Texas. I've used Apple wood before too and it's very good. Hickory is by far my favorite too, it just gives that naturally sweet smoky flavor. We used to gather Hickory nuts for my grandma to make cakes with and would use the whole nuts on the BBQ too. I think they're even better because the shells are like hardwood and you get that oil off the nut when it smokes.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rockape said:

........We used to gather Hickory nuts for my grandma to make cakes with and would use the whole nuts on the BBQ too. I think they're even better because the shells are like hardwood and you get that oil off the nut when it smokes.

I always wanted to try “chestnuts roasting on an open fire”. Never got a chance.

6 hours ago, Cotter said:

Gas over charcoal?  BLASPHEMY!

Lol, agreed. Used gas for a while and switched back .... something soothing about a perfect bed of coals.

BFF Patron

I tried the chestnuts on the top of a woodstove once, very nice!

Better than charbroiled!  

At some point in the near future the next crop of genetically modified blight-free hybrids will be in the ground growing repopulating the

Southern Appalachians!

Coals for aluminum foil meals is the best--dutch oven cooking with coals in the ground even better.

Gas is for speed and large groups when roasting for an army.  

Edited by bipedalist

3 hours ago, Huntster said:

I always wanted to try “chestnuts roasting on an open fire”. Never got a chance.

My Grandpa would put a big pan of mixed nuts on top of his wood burning stove and roast them, they had some chestnuts mixed in. Chestnuts, Walnuts, Pecans and several more kind. He'd parch peanuts too.

4 hours ago, norseman said:

Learn something new everyday! Hickory nuts!

Pecans work just the same. My old boss BBQ'ed with nothing but pecan wood and pecans, made some of the best BBQ I've ever ate. Made his own sauce with hot pepper vinager he bottled. It was so hot you could barely stand to eat it but man it was good.

3 minutes ago, Huntster said:

Shelled and unsalted?

The peanuts? No, he cooked them until they were kinda brown, but still in the shell. Called it "parched". Same as the mixed nuts.  He didn't eat them with salt. They have a little different flavor when they're parched, and a little sweeter.

Edited by Rockape

To really blow your old foagie minds...I'm 33 and I remember finding the first iteration of these forums over 10 years ago (almost 15...is that possible or revisionist history?).

So I would have REALLY been an outlier at that stage of my life.

Hope they are out there screwing with researchers and hapless duck/deer/elk hunters everywhere tonight and early tomorrow morning.

Well its pretty obvious from this census that we need a younger generation to pass the torch to. People who are interested in the outdoors and want to explore this phenomenon like we have. Maybe you guys will be more successful than we were too.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, NatFoot said:

To really blow your old foagie minds...I'm 33 and I remember finding the first iteration of these forums over 10 years ago (almost 15...is that possible or revisionist history?).......

33? My youngest child is older than you. I don’t let her or her dog on my lawn, either.

I was an early member of the Bigfoot Forums 1.0. I can’t remember when I actually joined, but I thought it was before 2000. The oldest post I could find in the archives was the summer of 2002.

1 hour ago, norseman said:

Well its pretty obvious from this census that we need a younger generation to pass the torch to. People who are interested in the outdoors and want to explore this phenomenon like we have. Maybe you guys will be more successful than we were too

Edited by MindSquatch
Sorry. No pictures in this thread.

8 hours ago, NatFoot said:

To really blow your old foagie minds...I'm 33 and I remember finding the first iteration of these forums over 10 years ago (almost 15...is that possible or revisionist history?).

So I would have REALLY been an outlier at that stage of my life.

Hope they are out there screwing with researchers and hapless duck/deer/elk hunters everywhere tonight and early tomorrow morning.

I need to qualify my statement by saying that it was never directed at Nathan as I find him very refreshing and a model of behavior for younger folks many of whom I take exception with. He is clearly energetic, has well-thought-out and novel ideas (such as those with thermals), goes out on his own to do research, and is willing to participate. We need more people like him on BFF and, frankly, around the country. If I could duplicate him and sprinkle him here, there, and everywhere I would. 

My hat is off to him and I hope he continues to do his good work. I also sincerely hope he becomes a model for others his age. We all do better when the bar is raised.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, norseman said:

Well its pretty obvious from this census that we need a younger generation to pass the torch to. People who are interested in the outdoors and want to explore this phenomenon like we have. Maybe you guys will be more successful than we were too.

Not that more younger people would be a bad thing right now but if the demographic is based where I think it is, those folks younger than us will be along when they reach the point in their lives we're at in ours.   I did not have time nor interest in looking for bigfoot at their age either despite being a "knower" before I turned 13.  All is not lost, all is not gloom and doom.   I think we all need to focus on what we can do rather than focusing on someone younger to do the "heavy lifting" for us.   Dunno about the rest of you, but though I feel the wear and tear of the years, at 54 I'm a long ways from trading my trail cams for a rocking chair.

MIB

• gigantor locked this topic
  • gigantor unlocked this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured and featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor locked and unpinned this topic