BFF Census Poll

gigantor

Poll: BFF Census  

137 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, MIB said:

Not that more younger people would be a bad thing right now but if the demographic is based where I think it is, those folks younger than us will be along when they reach the point in their lives we're at in ours.   I did not have time nor interest in looking for bigfoot at their age either despite being a "knower" before I turned 13.  All is not lost, all is not gloom and doom.   I think we all need to focus on what we can do rather than focusing on someone younger to do the "heavy lifting" for us.   Dunno about the rest of you, but though I feel the wear and tear of the years, at 54 I'm a long ways from trading my trail cams for a rocking chair.

MIB

Frankly...it'll be much more interesting to study space and watch future Mars landings for the next generation than try and track down a "myth" that's been laughed at and not proven for over 60 years.

Now THAT'S funny NatFoot. You entertain the possibility (nigh-on certainty?) of humans serially landing on a dead planet with zero life-sustaining resources (O.K., maybe some ice) to be a much safer bet?  You and Elon might need to get a room and do this in private, hmm?.  ;)   I'm not going to be able to get the coffee stains off the front of my shirt. Thanks a lot!   

But seriously, the idea that we now know all we need to know about life on earth...which is the subtext of your comment...and launch ourselves to a dead rock to escape the ecological havoc we've wrought here?  At least we have the lack of possibility we can do the same to Mars I guess, so there is some rough justice built-in.  Though, if we take that same incurious non-scientific bent with us, we WILL be guaranteed to be just as clueless there.

• Upvote 1

I'll remove myself off your guy's lawn for the rest of this conversation.

Edited to add--you guys understand that no one cares about this stuff but "us" and most find it laughable. 

Space exploration is real and is far more interesting to everyone else....but you guys, apparently.

Edited by NatFoot

^^^ There’s an outstanding view of reality. Big Science has sold Americans a huge dose of Martian snake oil. 

That said, I suppose there would be nice technological spin offs from Martian exploration, but frankly, Mars is just a red version of our moon. There’s nothing there but rocks, and we already have the technology to get some of them, if we really need a few trillion dollar rocks.

25 minutes ago, WSA said:

Now THAT'S funny NatFoot. You entertain the possibility (nigh-on certainty?) of humans serially landing on a dead planet with zero life-sustaining resources (O.K., maybe some ice) to be a much safer bet?  You and Elon might need to get a room and do this in private, hmm?.  ;)   I'm not going to be able to get the coffee stains off the front of my shirt. Thanks a lot!   

But seriously, the idea that we now know all we need to know about life on earth...which is the subtext of your comment...and launch ourselves to a dead rock to escape the ecological havoc we've wrought here?  At least we have the lack of possibility we can do the same to Mars I guess, so there is some rough justice built-in.  Though, if we take that same incurious non-scientific bent with us, we WILL be guaranteed to be just as clueless there.

You can ridicule Nate all you want but it is you who are being foolish WSA, Nate is being a realist. If you for one second thing there will ever be some big scientific push to look for Sasquatch you are sadly fooling yourself. I would agree we should be spending our energy on fixing things here on our planet Earth instead of trying to go to Mars but there's that old saying "there's the way things should be, and the way thing are".

• Upvote 1

MIB wrote:

I'm a long ways from trading my trail cams for a rocking chair.

————————————————————

Some days I wonder...

Edited by norseman

I find it interesting that the laughable part of BF has only been a recent construct in American society.  After, as Huntster put it, people began to bow to Big Science seemingly thinking that Big Science is the end all be all of all things reality.

While I do agree with Nate's sentiment that it is more plausible that Mars exploration will be more popular and garner more funding/attention, but I don't find the notion of 'serious' Sasquatch inquiry to be laughable at all.

• Upvote 1

I don't know how I became Nate.

Guys--Im not saying that the research is not credible or entirely fascinating (to me) but I'm speaking about the general public and specifically to the younger generations.

My mistake if I misread the point of your comment Natfoot. My apologies.

The techno-narcissism that underlays a lot of the popular scientific dogma does easily get stuck in my craw, I'll be the first to admit. Or, as John Prine so adroitly summed it up:

We are living in the future

Tell you how I know

I read it in the paper

fifteen years ago

If you wanted a history that proves how nuts mankind is, just look at the tragic story of lighter than air rigid dirigible technology. Yes, to some, at one time, filling a gas bag with the most flammable and leak-able gas we know of, and suspending people under it to fly around seemed like a perfectly good idea.  That pretty much sums up the manned mission to Mars program, except that when a zeppelin crossed the Atlantic, there was air to breathe and water to drink on the other side. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, NatFoot said:

I don't know how I became Nate.

Aren't you this Nathan?

If not, I apologize, if you are, I've always called you Nate, sorry if you don't like it.

9 minutes ago, WSA said:

My mistake if I misread the point of your comment Natfoot. My apologies.

The techno-narcissism that underlays a lot of the popular scientific dogma does easily get stuck in my craw, I'll be the first to admit. Or, as John Prine so adroitly summed it up:

We are living in the future

Tell you how I know

I read it in the paper

fifteen years ago

If you wanted a history that proves how nuts mankind is, just look at the tragic story of lighter than air rigid dirigible technology. Yes, to some, at one time, filling a gas bag with the most flammable and leak-able gas we know of, and suspending people under it to fly around seemed like a perfectly good idea.  That pretty much sums up the manned mission to Mars program, except that when a zeppelin crossed the Atlantic, there was air to breathe and water to drink on the other side. 

Talking strictly technology?

Either we figure out how to spread out and live amongst the stars? Or we will share the same fate as the dinosaurs. Its simple and just a matter of time.

It will not be easy. But neither was Magellan’s voyage or building the Pyramids or eeking out an existence in ice age Europe. Humans conquer obstacles thats what we do. And we have already put men on the moon. And have spent a year in Earth’s low orbit on a space station. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, WSA said:

Who really wants to go to space? It is difficult to send humans underwater.  Robots do well in space. Take it from "BONES" : "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence". Do you really want a case of 'Andorian Shingles'. Rite Aid doesn't have a vaccine.

WSA, hydrogen is good. The reason that the zeppelins used hydrogen is that the U.S. would not give them helium. The coating on the skin fabric of the Hindenberg was 'dope paint' and the formula was similar to solid rocket fuel propellant. Helium has a leak rate because the atom is small. Sneaks by everything. Good for squeaky duck speak.

1 hour ago, Rockape said:

.........If you for one second thing there will ever be some big scientific push to look for Sasquatch you are sadly fooling yourself..........

Drag a real sasquatch carcass into a surprise press briefing, and then watch Big Science fall all over themselves in a race to catch a herd of them alive. Usually crying to government for money and milking the “donate here” buttons on warm, fuzzy environmental websites full of pics of cute, big eyed seal pups, the science whores will find sasquatch hunting money galore under their pillows. They’ll forget all about their silly Martian microbes.

Catmandoo....I think  you meant to say hydrogen is the small/smaller atom.  Yes, that embargo was behind their decision.  But it would be like me deciding to fuel up my Hyundai with nitro because the station had no 87 octane for sale. Still a nuts-o decision.  What most people don't realize is there were, like, a dozen zeppelin crash/burns before the Hindenberg immolated over Lakehurst. It was not as if that should have been a surprise to anyone.  We as a society get fixated on some technological goal, and all of our reason goes out the window. Pathological Technology is the term coined to describe it. Our Mars Mission fixation is one of the latest.   

• Upvote 1

• gigantor locked this topic
  • gigantor unlocked this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured and featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor locked and unpinned this topic