Whistler

Interesting New Trail Cam Photo..

Rockape
1 hour ago, Huntster said:

You’re in northeast Texas, aren’t you Rock?

Yeah, about 100 miles south of the border with Oklahoma. My father's family is from Oklahoma so I've been there some and been all over the state really, Arkansas too, mostly when I was truck driving, Texas/Oklahoma/Arkansas/Louisiana was the territory of the company I worked for.

Twist

Bigfoot festivals and celebration of bigfoot for tourism means tends to put me off to an area in regards to reports.   Not because it is not BF country, but because its tough to determine if its "true sighting" based or "culture" based.  Its my own biased view, but how I think.   That being said, its still a very interesting picture, hope to find out more.    

• Upvote 1

Rockape
1 hour ago, OKBFFan said:

There is a huge Bigfoot festival in honobia every year.  It’s pronounced “ho-nubby” here.  

Thanks, lot of sightings in that area I believe.

Whistler

Thanks for the outstanding comparison NCBFr & Thanks for the bump hiflier! Always happy to share something new & interesting :rolleyes:

Cheers!

NatFoot
2 hours ago, Twist said:

Bigfoot festivals and celebration of bigfoot for tourism means tends to put me off to an area in regards to reports.   Not because it is not BF country, but because its tough to determine if its "true sighting" based or "culture" based.  Its my own biased view, but how I think.   That being said, its still a very interesting picture, hope to find out more.    

I tend to agree here.

The more BF is not "mainstream" or on the minds of the locals/witness, the more credibility for me.

If I'm not a believer and have no interest and see something I can't explain...that's much more credible than hearing a couple knocks and whoops or seeing a blur and going straight to Squatch.

OkieFoot

The Bigfoot Festival in Honobia, OK that OKBFF mentioned takes place this weekend. MK Davis is one of the speakers. They also have an evening storytelling.

I don't know if this is right but I've read the town has about 75 people and I've read the festival brings in about 3,000 - 4,000 visitors each year. Apparently Bigfoot is a cash cow once a year.

LeFlore Co. has the most sightings reports out of all the counties in Oklahoma. I'm going by memory on this; if you look up sightings in the western Arkansas counties that border LeFlore, which would be Sebastian, Scott and Polk, there aren't near as many sightings as in LeFlore Co. I looked it up once before out of curiosity and I think think this is fairly much correct. I know the terrain is similar and I think populations are somewhat similar if you omit Ft. Smith and Van Buren in Sebastien Co.

sidenote: I mentioned going by memory because when I tried going into the BFRO website yesterday and today to look at the numbers of reports again, I kept getting warning messages about it's not a safe site. Is this correct? I've gone into the site before without getting these warnings.

Huntster
2 hours ago, OkieFoot said:

.......LeFlore Co. has the most sightings reports out of all the counties in Oklahoma. I'm going by memory on this; if you look up sightings in the western Arkansas counties that border LeFlore, which would be Sebastian, Scott and Polk, there aren't near as many sightings as in LeFlore Co. I looked it up once before out of curiosity and I think think this is fairly much correct........

That is correct. My SSR query included a 1000 sq. mi. area which included portions of Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana, and Arkansas. Le Flore county amounted to nearly 8% of the reports of the entire region. I believe Le Flore county boasts as many or more reports than all the other counties in Oklahoma combined.

sidenote: I mentioned going by memory because when I tried going into the BFRO website yesterday and today to look at the numbers of reports again, I kept getting warning messages about it's not a safe site. Is this correct? I've gone into the site before without getting these warnings.

Yes, I’m getting that too. Frankly, with Google all over in the political news landscape, I suspect shenanigans on their part more than anything. The only way to proceed to BFRO is to type in their web address. 

Cotter
10 hours ago, NatFoot said:

The more BF is not "mainstream" or on the minds of the locals/witness, the more credibility for me.

That's a double edged sword though, no?  If you have an area where people are familiar with BF, you would have more folks 'keen' on looking for it.  Of course you would have an uptick of hoaxes as well.  Compare that to an area where people aren't aware of BF, sightings, tracks, mischief etc would be written off more easily and the general knowledge of who to notify, how to investigate would hinder legitimate reports.

It's a danged if you do, danged if you don't scenario IMO.

Rockape

Le Flore County and Honobia are quite a ways from the Henryetta AND Lake Eufala area.

Huntster
58 minutes ago, Rockape said:

Le Flore County and Honobia are quite a ways from the Henryetta AND Lake Eufala area.

In terms of miles, perhaps so. But in terms of geography, not so much. Henryetta is on the northwest side of Lake Eufala, and the western tip of Ouachita National Forest is just 30 miles southeast of the southern tip of the lake. La Flore county just represents the wildest portion of the national forest and center of Bigfoot reports. 

:

OkieFoot

Thanks, Hunster. I think you're right about the problem getting onto the BFRO site being a Google problem; I tried Int. Explorer earlier and got in okay.

I looked at sightings reports in the counties surrounding LeFlore County and my memory was correct; there was a stark difference in numbers of reports between LeFlore (23 by itself) and the 6 counties that adjoin it.

In OK; Adair Co. (N) 2  reports; Latimer Co. (W) 2; McCurtain Co. (S) 5.

In AR; Sebastien Co. (E) 2; Scott Co. (E) 0; Polk Co. (E) 3.

I'm not sure why there appears to be little movement between LeFlore and the surrounding counties. If there has been, they're doing a good job of not being spotted. The terrain is similar in all the counties and from looking at maps, the Ouachita Mountains appear to run E-W rather than N-S. Other ridges appear to be pretty much the same. I'm just guessing but I don't think there is a big difference in population in the various counties that might account for a lack of sightings. There are mostly smaller towns and some rural dwellers. 

Apparently there is something about LeFlore Co. that keeps them there. 

Huntster
24 minutes ago, OkieFoot said:

........I  looked at sightings reports in the counties surrounding LeFlore County and my memory was correct; there was a stark difference in numbers of reports between LeFlore (23 by itself) and the 6 counties that adjoin it.

In OK; Adair Co. (N) 2  reports; Latimer Co. (W) 2; McCurtain Co. (S) 5.

In AR; Sebastien Co. (E) 2; Scott Co. (E) 0; Polk Co. (E) 3.......[/quote]

On a hunch I also checked the Arkansas side. There was no hot pocket there.

Apparently there is something about LeFlore Co. that keeps them there.

I wonder if property ownership/access issues might play a role? Isn’t much of that area Indian and logging corporation land?

OkieFoot

^^

There isn't any Indian land in LeFlore Co. although there is part of the Ouachita National Forest, a wildlife area, a recreation area and state parks that may not have a great deal of human activity due to a lack of population and being off the beaten path.

There is a Weyerhauser Timber Reserve in McCurtain County.

Here is an excerpt from an "interesting" report from Jan.- 2000 from McCurtain County.

"OBSERVED: I was told by phone by a relative that three large manlike, hairy creatures were observed on a persons porch and yard. The man got his SKS and has allegedly shot one. Two others came out of the nearby forest and carried him away. That the FBI was called and samples of blood and hair have been taken for testing. My relative also told me that contractors who plant young pine seedlings are refuseing to go in near Honobia and plant trees."

Rockape
3 hours ago, Huntster said:

In terms of miles, perhaps so. But in terms of geography, not so much. Henryetta is on the northwest side of Lake Eufala, and the western tip of Ouachita National Forest is just 30 miles southeast of the southern tip of the lake. La Flore county just represents the wildest portion of the national forest and center of Bigfoot reports. 

:

Yeah, I was just making sure everyone knew Henryetta and Honobia are not really that close to each other. They're about 100 miles apart if I'm not mistaken. I suspect this is from the Lake Eufala area though so the distance to Honobia could be quite a bit less. But yeah, the terrain is pretty much the same in those areas, just the hills get a little higher the further east you go.

1 hour ago, Huntster said:

Isn’t much of that area Indian and logging corporation land?

There aren't really any Indian reservations in Oklahoma anymore but they are what's called "Tribal Jurisdiction Areas". They have tribal police but other than that they don't really do anything but general government type things. Most of the area we are talking about is the old Choctaw reservation, which is my grandma's tribe, but most of it is private land now and some public areas like here in Texas.

OKBFFan

100 miles in Oklahoma is a spit in the wind... nothing like 100 in NY or elsewhere