Is this a Grizzly?

norseman

Nice hump. I vote grizzly. Blanca Lake is in a designated wilderness area= no hunting='Park Deer Effect'.  With the Park Deer Effect, populations of deer and bear and cougar increase. Deer size gets smaller. The day before bear season starts, Yogi and BooBoo are seen outside the boundaries. The day bear season starts, they are inside the no hunting areas.

There is more food in Wilderness Areas.  The range of grizzly bears in Washington is a lot further south than what fin and feather will say.  If you report a grizzly, they will tell you that you misidentified a black bear.

• gigantor featured this topic

Though the photo is a bit fuzzy, I have to agree with Huntster and Catmandoo, it's a grizzly. They've recently shown up here in the SW corner of BC, which is well outside of their traditional historical range.

3 hours ago, hiflier said:

Norseman, I am curious to why do you ask? I will read the article of course but was just curious.

Because its 80 miles roughly from downtown Seattle. If its truly a Griz? Pretty remarkable.

D41035B9-DE02-46A8-AD24-8949DA6DA2AD.jpeg

I wanna say that Bear is too dark for a Griz. But look at this Griz tagged recently in N. Idaho. Dark! Dark!

BFF Patron

The claws tell all!

20 hours ago, Catmandoo said:

Nice hump. I vote grizzly. Blanca Lake is in a designated wilderness area= no hunting='Park Deer Effect'.  With the Park Deer Effect, populations of deer and bear and cougar increase. Deer size gets smaller. The day before bear season starts, Yogi and BooBoo are seen outside the boundaries. The day bear season starts, they are inside the no hunting areas.

There is more food in Wilderness Areas.  The range of grizzly bears in Washington is a lot further south than what fin and feather will say.  If you report a grizzly, they will tell you that you misidentified a black bear.

Same drill on Eastern cougars I sighted on the BR Parkway in 1982/3 or thereabouts, escaped pet or migrating loner desipte fact that they were seen with young around the same period of time plus/minus five years on the rock outcrops of the Linville Gorge Wilderness.

How about a 600 lb Siberian tiger roaming around Los Angeles?:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tiger-killed-near-reagan-library/

........The trackers had been looking for the animal for eight days, using infrared equipment at night. They had set traps with goat meat and chicken.

The hunt began after the discovery of paw prints on a ranch near the library that were far too large for native bobcats or mountain lions. The size of the tracks indicated the animal weighed as much as 600 pounds........

It was killed near the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library after a family called in that it was near their home. Anfpd authorities never figured out where the cat came from. So much for registering your tiger...........

Ok ok..... I may or may not be planting dangerous cats in southern California.......

*whistles*

:ph34r:

• Upvote 1

BFF Patron

Those tsunamis can work magic haven't you heard?!

Edited by bipedalist

SSR Team

Big old hump it looks like to me..

I grew up with black bears .. lived in a designated bear preserve for quite a few years.   That does not look like a black bear.  

I understand the interest from other posts, but for me, it doesn't matter, that's a big bear.   The only good bear is a far away bear.  :)

MIB

• gigantor unfeatured this topic