Emerson Recon bag

norseman

Did you compare that to the Hill People Gear "kit bag"?    If so, could you comment on comparison of features?   

MIB

Admin

Norse, I can't believe you got a man purse!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MIB said:

Did you compare that to the Hill People Gear "kit bag"?    If so, could you comment on comparison of features?   

MIB

I cant. I was just shopping on amazon and this bag was half as much. So I pulled the trigger...

1 hour ago, gigantor said:

Norse, I can't believe you got a man purse!

Be nice...or I’ll hit you with it.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, MIB said:

MIB

Great find Norse. I have the HPG Original Kit Bag (OKB). The Emerson is wider and taller so it would fit a longer handgun.  I have a long-slide Glock 40MOS and it fits in my OKB with no problem. My Ruger Toklat just barely fits...and I mean barely. The Emerson would provide the additional room.

I've always said the OKB is the best piece of outdoor equipment I have ever had. I'd have to look further into the Emerson but it is in the rare field of options for someone who has a large-bore revolver.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I happened to come across this bag just last night on Amazon.  I was going to order a HPG Recon Kit Bag, but everyone is out of stock.  

I came across one video review of the Emerson, but the guy doesn't really look to be the type who uses his gear very hard so I didn't get a good read on the quality/durability.

Norseman, how are the straps and buckles?  Does it cinch up good and secure?

I may order one to give it a try.  

1 hour ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

I happened to come across this bag just last night on Amazon.  I was going to order a HPG Recon Kit Bag, but everyone is out of stock.  

I came across one video review of the Emerson, but the guy doesn't really look to be the type who uses his gear very hard so I didn't get a good read on the quality/durability.

I think it does. I havent used it hard yet but have worn it around the homestead for hours at a time.

12 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

I just went online and the HPG Heavy Recon Kit Bag is available in foliage grey/green. It is out of stock with the other three colors.

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/1/ProductID/37

The Recon Kit Bag is also available in foliage grey/green and coyote brown.

https://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/1/ProductID/5

17 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

I just went online and the HPG Heavy Recon Kit Bag is available in foliage grey/green. It is out of stock with the other three colors.

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/1/ProductID/37

The Recon Kit Bag is also available in foliage grey/green and coyote brown.

https://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/1/ProductID/5

Awesome.

Foliage is what I wanted.

Thanks,man!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I picked up the exact same Emerson bag off Amazon to see how I liked a recon kit style bag.  I have been using a Hazard 4/Civilian Labs chest bag over the past year and wanted to see how this style bag compared.  

Overall, the quality exceeded my expectations, which admittedly were not too high...given that this is basically a Chinese knockoff from a company mostly known for airsoft equipment.  I did think that the inside of the main compartment was too 'busy', with too many pouches and straps.  The right hand inner pouch gets in the way of quickly drawing my pistol... which is the main reason that I carry such a bag.  Also, I do have some concerns about how this bag will carry in the heat of a South Carolina summer.  It seems that it might be a bit hot to wear, especially when coupled with a pack.  

I see that the Hill People Gear version is a bit smaller, with less organizational pouches inside.  I would like to go with their Snubby size bag, but that version will not fit a Glock 20 in the main compartment.  So, it looks like I will have to try out their Recon Kit Bag and see if it a bit less bulky than the Emerson.

I believe that the Emerson would definitely serve well for someone who is looking for a 'chest organizer' as oppose to a concealed chest holster.  Unlike other people's experience, I did not have any issues with the chest straps sliding or coming undone. Overall, I think that this is a very good product, just not for me.

• Thanks 1