The Bauman Story

norseman

• gigantor featured this topic

So if written about 1890, and the trapper was old when he shared the story, and he was a young man when it happened, what would this be, 1830s maybe?    So armed with single shot flintlock Hawken rifles if they're lucky, smaller caliber rifles from the eastern woodlands if not.    I'll pass.  

MIB

The interesting thing is the consistency in the sightings over 100+ years.  I do not think this is the only Roosevelt (the good one) BF experience.

I think he himself had an experience on a hunting trip to western Washington? Noises at night?

If I remember correctly.

Correct.  Heard a load growl/moan while bedded down one night hunting that he as an avid hunter could not attribute to any known animals.

BFF Patron

MIB has had experience with Sasquatch flatulence.   

• Haha 1

Thanks for sharing, I’ve read the account before but this is my first time hearing it narrated.   This, along with the Ostman story are great campfire stories!  And who knows, maybe there is a bit of truth to them :)

32 minutes ago, Twist said:

Thanks for sharing, I’ve read the account before but this is my first time hearing it narrated.   This, along with the Ostman story are great campfire stories!  And who knows, maybe there is a bit of truth to them :)

I like the Ape canyon story too!

Me too! I think (but I will have to go back and check) Fred Beck said that they shot one of the creatures and that it fell back off of a cliff? Recently some people had an article about finding the possible location of Beck's cabin. Makes me wonder if the BF's skeleton is still somewhere below that cliff. If BF's carry away their dead though then probably not.

Agreed,  Ape Canyon is a good tale as well.   I’ve also read somewhere that people found a dilapidated cabin in the general vicinity of where it was supposed to of happened.   Never heard if it was ever verified though.  

Another narration off youtube that is in regards to diary entries of Elkanah Walker, a missionary that was in the then Oregon territory in the 1800's.   He speaks of native legends.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RCTmgcD5mg

24 minutes ago, Twist said:

I’ve also read somewhere that people found a dilapidated cabin

http://weekinweird.com/2013/07/10/has-the-ape-canyon-cabin-site-of-the-most-famous-bigfoot-attack-in-history-been-rediscovered/

And as an addition, in the story Beck said that some guys went DOWN to a nearby spring for water. They saw a creature across the way and fired a gun at it and it took off. The story goes on to say that they saw another creature standing in front of the canyon wall. These are two topo features that should be in the vicinity of the supposed cabin's location which Beck said burned in 1968.

On the topic of Roosevelt the Bauman story to me is right up there as it describes those things about a BF that are consistent with other more current detailed stories that we have read. Ape Canyon does too and in that case there were several witnesses and a shooting, and footprints as well- just like in the Bauman account. It would certainly seem that there may indeed have been more creatures around then than there are today? I do not think that dwindling numbers is a thought that is too far away from the truth. I think there ARE fewer BF's than even 100 years ago. If we take anything away from these two stories it may be that Sasquatch may indeed be in decline. If so what does that mean for us as researchers? If the BF clock is ticking down are we doing everything we can to make sure a possible extinction is not in progress. Is the Sasquatch population already gone? And if not are the pressures on them and their environment going to finish them off?

It does seem that BF's may have been more aggressive back in the day. When a group gathers to attack a cabin and pelt it with rocks it sure does seem that they organize when necessary and will use means to potentially cause damage beyond using just their bare hands. I also cannot see in the case of Fred Beck that any of the miners were actually in any eminent danger when they took the first shot. They were only being watched and that is all the story said.

• gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic