The Bauman Story

norseman

The link didnt work for me.

But Walker was at Ft. Colville, which the site is just north of my house.

Would like to know what white peak to the west he was talking about. 

^^^^ Ape Canyon story has always bothered me.  Attacked---burnt down---destroyed by the eruption on Mt. St. Helens--- and now the location has been 'discovered'.  Back to the attack phase.  My opinion is that Sasquatch would have ripped the cabin apart in short time. Humans fight or flee? How good is your aim when you are packing your pants?

I do not believe that Sasquatch are in decline. They have evolved to be excellent at avoiding evil humans. In the previous century and continuing now, we have created National Parks, National Forests and Wilderness Areas <==> animal farms. We are 'growing prey' for them. Park Deer effect and trickle down to the lowest level of furball. They simply hate us. They have abstract thinking to have that emotion.

22 hours ago, Catmandoo said:

^^^^ Ape Canyon story has always bothered me.  Attacked---burnt down---destroyed by the eruption on Mt. St. Helens--- and now the location has been 'discovered'.  Back to the attack phase.  My opinion is that Sasquatch would have ripped the cabin apart in short time. Humans fight or flee? How good is your aim when you are packing your pants?

I do not believe that Sasquatch are in decline. They have evolved to be excellent at avoiding evil humans. In the previous century and continuing now, we have created National Parks, National Forests and Wilderness Areas <==> animal farms. We are 'growing prey' for them. Park Deer effect and trickle down to the lowest level of furball. They simply hate us. They have abstract thinking to have that emotion.

Just an FYI... Ape Canyon is on the east side of Mount Saint Helen's, it wasn't destroyed by the blast.   

From what I have read, Fred Beck said that he had heard that the cabin burned down in 1964, long before the eruption. That is, however, hearsay and not conclusive. I have also read that the area did experience damage due to eruptions. They haven't found a literal cabin, but, bits and pieces that suggest a structure once occupied that space. Again not conclusive.

BFF Patron

The forest service claimed that the cabin was destroyed but a group from this area researched it, found old photographs, and narrowed down where it was and found what remains of the cabin.     It just happened to be in a forested area that was protected from the blast by a ridgeline.     The cabin had in fact been burned to the ground at some point.   None of the miners did it as none of them ever returned to the area after the event.  I suspect it was burned by the forest service, who long disputed the miners story.    They have published a pamphlet claiming that a youth group from Spirit Lake had harassed the miners that night.    Only problem with that is that youth group had left the Spirit Lake area early the same morning returning to Portland as reported by a Portland Oregon newpaper and could not have thrown rocks most of the night and made it back to Spirit Lake over 7 miles away in the dark by daybreak to catch a bus.        Had to have been a forest fire?   No nothing around it was burned and had old growth timber standing nearby.     I listed to a talk by the finders and one of the miners grand sons was there.  Examination of soil where it had stood was pretty conclusive that a cabin had been there.   Spoons etc found and empty cartridges, presumably from the defense of the cabin.       The grandson said his grandfather had told of one of the BF sticking its arm long hairy arm down into the cabin from the roof and trying to grab a miner.   That was met by gunfire up through the roof.   The Ape Canyon trail runs nearby but where the cabin was requires safety ropes to get down a ridge to where it was.     I have hiked the trail several times and think I know where it might be.      Now why would the forest service bother to publish a pamphlet with information that can easily be disproved?      

BFF Patron

Based in the existing pictures of the cabin and the description of the finders, I believe the cabin location is in the left central portion of this photograph where the trees butt up against the steep hillside.  .     The cabin was built into a steep hillside that comes down at a steep angle.    Certainly portions of this picture fit the description given by the guys that found the cabin a few years ago.    The miners mined into the steep portion looking for gold inside the mountain.      Apparently when the cabin was burned the mine had been dynamited to keep people out of it.   The finders could find no trace of the mine.     After hearing the presentation of the finders,   I flew a photography mission and photographed the area.       This area is very near the East Lahar from the eruption and I have found footprints and some rock stacks out on the lahar.     The BFRO had some reports of people leaving the Ape Canyon trailhead late in the day and hearing BF vocalizations in the distance.    

IMG_0167.JPG

• Thanks 1

I believe the Beck, Ape Canyon cabin attack story had a sasquatch being shot and falling into a canyon. I do not see a canyon. The Lahar could have filled many low spots.  One would have to compare old and new topographic maps for comparison.

As far as 'vocalizations' go, an unidentified vocalization is simply unidentified. Animals make weird noises. Bear cubs and coyotes can make very unusual noises at times. 

I had mentioned that the story spoke of a spring that they had gone DOWN to for water. It may be there it may not but one might be fortunate enough to find one there down the slope on the right of the photo. Speaking of which- good job SWWASAS I  getting the image and bringing it here. Looks as if it may have been a chilly flight for you too. Your efforts and follow through are much appreciated. Many thanks and a thousand plusses!

48 minutes ago, Catmandoo said:

I believe the Beck, Ape Canyon cabin attack story had a sasquatch being shot and falling into a canyon. I do not see a canyon. The Lahar could have filled many low spots.  One would have to compare old and new topographic maps for comparison.

As far as 'vocalizations' go, an unidentified vocalization is simply unidentified. Animals make weird noises. Bear cubs and coyotes can make very unusual noises at times. 

The canyon bigfoot encounter if I remember correctly didnt happen at the cabin location.

BFF Patron
1 hour ago, norseman said:

The canyon bigfoot encounter if I remember correctly didnt happen at the cabin location.

5 hours ago, SWWASAS said:

Based in the existing pictures of the cabin and the description of the finders, I believe the cabin location is in the left central portion of this photograph where the trees butt up against the steep hillside.  .     The cabin was built into a steep hillside that comes down at a steep angle.    Certainly portions of this picture fit the description given by the guys that found the cabin a few years ago.    The miners mined into the steep portion looking for gold inside the mountain.      Apparently when the cabin was burned the mine had been dynamited to keep people out of it.   The finders could find no trace of the mine.     After hearing the presentation of the finders,   I flew a photography mission and photographed the area.       This area is very near the East Lahar from the eruption and I have found footprints and some rock stacks out on the lahar.     The BFRO had some reports of people leaving the Ape Canyon trailhead late in the day and hearing BF vocalizations in the distance.    

IMG_0167.JPG

The cabin location I think is likely just to the right of the cliff edge that I marked down below.       Down below to the right of the line where the base of those large trees are.   Those trees are mature Douglas Fir and well over 100 feet tall so don't judge them by pine tree scale.       Pictures show it at the base of a steep slope sort of built into the cliff face behind it.      The finders said they nearly broke their neck getting there the first time.   Later trips they used rope to lower themselves down to the cabin location.     One of the discoverer's was a member of this forum years ago.      He must not be active now.     Probably a good thing because seems like those that actually put boots on the ground and discover things just targets for skeptics.     Some have even questioned the fact that the mine existed.    You don't dig a mine in the last 100 years without permits and claims on file.    According to the discoverers and county records there was only one mine in that area.     We have to either believe or disbelieve the miners as far as BF but the cabin and mine are a matter of public record.   

IMG_0167_LI.jpg

Edited by SWWASAS

That cliff above the cabin site is where supposedly Bigfoot threw rocks down on the cabin. 

I do not believe its where they had allegedly shot the first one.

The miners felt that the rock throwing down on the cabin was an act of revenge over the previous shooting.

http://www.bigfootencounters.com/classics/beck.htm

2-300 yds away?

• gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic