The Bauman Story

norseman

2 hours ago, BigTreeWalker said:

.......Oh and the narrator was also wrong about the naming of the Ape Caves. They were named after the Mt St Helens Apes, a scout group, who explored them in the 1950's. I know this because I talked to a member of the Apes about 25 years ago. That was a very fascinating and knowledgeable discussion about the area. 

I’ve heard and read about that, but I’m not sure I believe it. I would love to see a USGS map dated before 1950 and after 1924, if such a map exists. 

First, the Apes is a rather strange name for Boy Scouts in a temperate region of North America who like caves. Why not Bats? Why not Cave Bears? Did they take that name themselves because if the 1924 legend or other such reports of sasquatches? Doesn’t it seem just a little coincidental?

All I said was scouts. Don't know if it was Boy Scouts or not. But I got the impression it was a local group. His name was Reese and I know is or was connected with that area. Probably searchable. They may have taken their name from local stories or legends as well. Remember, events were occurring in Nor Cal about that time, as well as the legends around Mt St Helens. 

I did find this and according to it they were boy scouts.

https://tdn.com/lifestyles/boy-scouts-explore-caves-near-mount-st-helens/article_f64f2616-c300-5edb-9540-39aa2e90adae.html

Edited by BigTreeWalker

• gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic