Cool/cold weather sasquatching

wiiawiwb

As Fall ushers itself into Winter, do your sasquatching adventures slow down or reduce?  Mine use to fall off the proverbial table. Even though I have plenty of gear to keep me reasonably warm through the night, the thought of going to bed in 10F wasn't alluring.

I decided to take the plunge and got a tipi and woodstove. It has opened up my world. I took it on its maiden voyage, under a controlled environment, rather than in the woods, to see how the tipi and woodstove performed.  Wowser....70F on the inside with a door open and the woodstove at half capacity. It was in the high 40Fs. All of this for about 6 lbs for a tent and stove that can sleep two in the winter with gear for an extended stay. Three people no problem for a weekend.  It is 7' tall at the peak so you can stand and mull around.  Now, I can forge into the backcountry  and carry the tipi and stove without any problem. 

I'd highly recommend it to others who want to stay warm and continue sasquatching year round. It remains to be seen whether the results present themselves.  I know it will get me out there more often which helps the odds.

• Upvote 2

This stove with the damper open will run me out of this wall tent. Nothing like wood heat! I like the portability of the teepee tent, but I cannot sleep on the ground anymore. Enjoy!

post-735-0-11454600-1444237721_thumb.jpg

25B80E52-4CC1-4264-ACAD-EE42C792D885.jpeg

• gigantor featured this topic

Cool setups by both.

What's the square footage on that teepee? I was going to ask if you could fit a cot, but I guess the allure is you can hike it in.

My Sasquatch adventures increase as Fall moves into Winter as that's when I get the area pretty much to myself after they lock the gates with the first snowfall. Everything seems to Fall right in place as the bigfoot's move down from high up to this lower location for winter which is still high up at 7000 foot elevation. But they pretty much have the place to themselves too for the winter, especially when they close the second gate. This photo was taken in winter in the Eastern Sierra's and you can see how certain areas remain free of snow with the areas towards the west where the Sierra Crest is, gets most of the snow.

IMG_20140124_130811_238.jpg

My fall activities curtail slightly. Not because of temperature. I keep meaning to take the Jeep Commander bed/kitchen photos to post, lol.  Makes a nice, quick warm campsite...for one. 

The main reason is the deer and elk hunting seasons here. I don’t want to be caught in the woods looking like a hunter with no tag...

Also, I believe they relocate or keep a very low profile from Mid October through December. 

1 hour ago, NatFoot said:

Cool setups by both.

What's the square footage on that teepee? I was going to ask if you could fit a cot, but I guess the allure is you can hike it in.

Id still Like to know, would like something similar even for trucking it in.   On those 10 day camping trips it’d be nice to guarantee some warm nights.   A few years ago we had about 5 straight days of rain and winds at 40 deg.    Would have loved a few hours to dry out and warm up.   

Supplying a small stove 24 hrs. a day for 10 days could be a challenge that might take some planning. Even 6 hrs. a day would mean quite a bit of fuel

Edited by hiflier

6 hrs a day for a stove like that is cake if in an enclosure.  I do not go out hunting for squatch.  I go and drink beer while taking daily or semi daily 3 hr hikes, depends on my gusto and relativity to water/gill fishing.   I have the let them approach me style.   

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Twist said:

6 hrs a day for a stove like that is cake if in an enclosure.  I do not go out hunting for squatch.  I go and drink beer while taking daily or semi daily 3 hr hikes, depends on my gusto and relativity to water/gill fishing.   I have the let them approach me style.   

NICE! :) It is, after all, all about stylin'.

1 hour ago, Twist said:

Wine or beer...but pretty much the same. We like to "hang out", especially this summer.

Yessir,   I just like to get my buzz on and go about my business, lol.   I do some hiking, some carving,  some fishing, etc.  I do exactly as much as I intend to at the pace I choose to and all of that usually adds up to not much.   I enjoy the hell out of it.  

• Upvote 1

Folks are just as likely to have an encounter doing little or nothing around camp so why not settle back and just enjoy being there. My own enjoyment was there long before Bigfoot ever entered the picture. Still is.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, hiflier said:

Folks are just as likely to have an encounter doing little or nothing around camp so why not settle back and just enjoy being there. My own enjoyment was there long before Bigfoot ever entered the picture. Still is.

QFT

• Like 1

On 10/20/2018 at 10:55 AM, NatFoot said:

Cool setups by both.

118 sq ft with a 12' 3" diameter.  Where I go, it is thickly wooded so finding adequate open space to plunk down a tent isn't easy. If that were not a consideration, I would have gone with a 6-person and maybe even a 8-person tipi.  The simple truth is that I will likely be using the tent with one other person or just myself. It didn't make sense to get something enormous and have lots of unused space.

The 6-person tipi would add an additional 1 lb 12oz and the 8-person tipi would add 2 lbs 5oz compared to the 4 person. That's nothing if you spread the weight among two or three people.

You also have to consider perspective. If someone comes from the base-camp group of people, the 8-person tipi would be cramped for two people.  if you come from the backpacking world, like me, a 4-person tipi seems like a hotel.  

You could fit one cot in the 4-man if you're using the woodstove.  Two cots in the 6-man. The Helinox Lite cot only weight a tad over 2 1/2 lbs which makes it doable even backpacking.

https://www.rei.com/product/889599/helinox-cot-lite

Edited by wiiawiwb

• gigantor unfeatured this topic

Some of us can try to take advantage of lower altitudes during the winter hoping that sasquatches may seek warmer, or at least less harsh, weather.  Do the areas that you regularly research in change as winter sets in? Do you go to more southerly locations or stay in your area at a lower altitude?

I don't have any firm conclusion about whether sasquatches stay in the same region but seek warmer micro-climates there or whether that migrate south.  How does your research location change, if at all. during the winter?

Edited by wiiawiwb