Cool/cold weather sasquatching

wiiawiwb

My outdoor activities are minimal in winter. It’s too dang cold here Minnesota. I invariably have to shovel snow, and walk the dog daily, do some hiking but camping and other adventures pretty much stop.

• 4 weeks later...

I think the researcher i met over the prints I found wants to go on some night walks this winter, he has invited, but nothing firm. I'm both scared and stoked. Things happen around this guy! I also found another woman to research with! I'm really looking forward to getting out there after the holidays.

My go-to cold weather gear is my new favorite - merino wool. Not the cheapest, but it is fantasic! I am loving the long underwear and tee shirts as base layers. I also made a nice lambs wool dickie by cutting around the shoulders of a sweater i got at Goodwill for $7! Just put on a shirt, then the dickie, then a layer... Instant warmth on my neck without wearing two sweaters.

• Upvote 2

Increases for me.  No snakes or ticks, the briars are tame, and the swampy areas are frozen allowing me access to areas I could not get to otherwise.

And trackway spotting. Let's not forget that along with better visibility in deciduous forests. Being able to see further up and down rocky slopes, view water and flowing streams and creeks from a distance, and having a quieter presence on snow covered trails. As long as one is warm these advantages can be very helpful. Also being quieter on the bear front is good too. In the Rockies bears hibernate all winter even though they sometimes will get out of their dens on occasion elsewhere.

18 hours ago, Madison5716 said:

I think the researcher i met over the prints I found wants to go on some night walks this winter, he has invited, but nothing firm. I'm both scared and stoked. Things happen around this guy! I also found another woman to research with! I'm really looking forward to getting out there after the holidays.

My go-to cold weather gear is my new favorite - merino wool. Not the cheapest, but it is fantasic! I am loving the long underwear and tee shirts as base layers. I also made a nice lambs wool dickie by cutting around the shoulders of a sweater i got at Goodwill for $7! Just put on a shirt, then the dickie, then a layer... Instant warmth on my neck without wearing two sweaters.

I wear Filson wool myself!

5 hours ago, Incorrigible1 said:

Madison,  good observation. Wool keeps you warm even when wet, and makes for quiet movement,  too.

Synthetic fabrics are breeding grounds for bacteria=stink. They also make a lot of noise ( above human hearing range ) when you walk and brush against vegetation. Think about wool pants. Turn your phone off and move silently.

I have some Filson items. Nice but spendy.

Oh, Filson looks NICE. Beautiful website. A bit spendy for this single mom ( love my REI dividend). When I win the lottery, I'm gonna clear out their inventory :)

Anyone have a source of wool pants? Great suggestion Catmandoo. Living in Oregon, I have waterproof gear, or course. But I hate the swish, even the hunting year rainpants, which are supposedly quiet. 

I just bought an  EMF meter from theghoststore to encourage my kid to get out into the woods with me. Can't wait to try it out, with all the weird stuff that happens around here (Oregon AND my apartment). We have a ghost cat, my two next door neighbors and i. In fact, it visited today. I was lying down for a nap and I thought the cat jumped on the bed to sleep with me. I cracked an eye open, but nope! My cat was sitting on the chair next to my bed grooming herself, occasionally looking up to apparently observe whatever it was that I could still feel walking on the bed from the end of my bed parallel to my right leg. Then it laid down next to my right hip and the sensation dissipated. I need a 9-volt battery before i can use it. Opportunity lost. Always have batteries, lol!

Madison,  I'm working a moonlighting job, right now,  but will soon suggest some military surplus sites. You'll find some reasonably priced and durable.

1 hour ago, Incorrigible1 said:

Madison,  I'm working a moonlighting job, right now,  but will soon suggest some military surplus sites. You'll find some reasonably priced and durable.

Good call bud.

Amazon, Ebay, Cheaper than dirt, usually always have wool surplus items.

Madison,  batteries from Amazon. Difficult to impossible to beat the price on their house brand of alkaline batteries. Made in Japan with overkill packaging.

What brand is the EMF meter?  Ear buds/headphones  will help to not scare the cat(s).

Edited by Catmandoo

2 hours ago, Madison5716 said:

Thank you, incorrigible 1, that's kind of you! I'll check some things out, too. Happy winter squatching!

Stuck with my smartphone, tonight.  Best site I can provide tonight is this:

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/th/military-wool-pants

I know there's lots more sites out there.  Hope this helps.

9 hours ago, Incorrigible1 said:

6 hours ago, Incorrigible1 said:

Stuck with my smartphone, tonight.  Best site I can provide tonight is this:

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/th/military-wool-pants

I know there's lots more sites out there.  Hope this helps.

Hmmm. It would appear that you are not all that incorrigible after all ;)