Cool/cold weather sasquatching

wiiawiwb

I shelved wool a long time ago and would only consider its use next to my skin in extremely cold (below 10F) outings. Everything else I wear is fleece or synthetic. It dries substantially faster than wool and avoiding exposure to hypothermia is the only thing I care about in very cold conditions.

2 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

I shelved wool a long time ago and would only consider its use next to my skin in extremely cold (below 10F) outings. Everything else I wear is fleece or synthetic. It dries substantially faster than wool and avoiding exposure to hypothermia is the only thing I care about in very cold conditions.

What I dont like about synthetic is you have to be careful around fire. It burns easy.

Fleece does dry quickly.

But wool luckily doesnt loose its insulation value because its wet.

No question that synthetic, and especially fleece,  can be highly compromised by flame or fire. 

I've tripped and fallen into a creek several miles from my car in cold conditions.  I was able to take off my clothes and wring them out one-by-one, then slapped them against a smooth maple, and every one was nearly dry when I put them back on. The only one I had trouble with was a densely-woven Lowe Alpine fleece shirt from 20+ years ago. Back then, they were heavier and the material was much tighter than garments of today.

Thank you, gentlemen, for your help and links! I just got my Minus 33 merino wool long underwear in the mail and it's HEAVENLY. Now to work on the outer layers! 

• Upvote 1

Winter doesn't change my research outings much.  Maybe even increases them a bit.  I live in the Olympics here in Washington and winter is a great opportunity to get out and find sign.  I use a 28 ft. RV for a base camp, so the weather is not important to my forays.  It also gives us a nice place to gather together any evidence and organize our field notes while enjoying a nice hot cup of coffee.  It also keeps the bears and raccoons out of our stuff.  LOL.

• Upvote 1