You win Mega Millions Jackpot tonight. How much

NCBFr

7 hours ago, Catmandoo said:

Caenus, how do your eyes react to your NV gear? Monocular or binocular?  How is your near field depth perception?

Well, no dynamite...I actually like the forest. ;)

I have binocular night vision (which is actually a monocular with binocular view ports) and a thermal rifle scope. They both let you change the color of the display. Since rods and cones (in your eyes) work differently, by setting the display to a color (such as green for night vision), you primarily use cones. Rods are low light receivers so they are not affected by the color...in theory. In reality, a night vision device does cause some degradation of natural low light vision because the cones keep that “glare” from the bright screen and your brain tries to incorporate that “washing out” the lower intensity image from the rods.  In my experience it’s similar to a flash from a camera leaving a ghost image after the flash. That goes away fairly quickly.  By dimming the display a bit that can be largely negated, but there is still some adjustment. 

Both my sights are magnified so they are not any good for near up use. A non magnified monocular/binocular would be best for that...say to use navigating at night to pick your way through a trail. Depth perception is pretty much gone until you train your brain to extrapolate depth and use judgement. 

I’d buy a LARGE patch of woods in northern Michigan at put several hundred Reconyx cams throughout the acreage. Better yet would be live cams littered everywhere that I could monitor from the warmth of the cabin. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

In between traveling around the world, building my farmstead, and starting a Center for Sustainability, I'd fund this BB forever, log all the serious researchers and privately fund you all forever, plus a whole lot of folks on some other sites, like the mid-america  group and some of Christopher Noel's people. Then I'd jet around "supervising" you all and crash your clam bakes and camping-researching expeditions. My farm, or course, would be right in the very squatchyest  part of Oregon and would have all the latest technologies . Fun!

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure how much would be left over after first starting "Incorrigible1's Home for Wayward Cheerleaders," but would designate a large share, after that,  toward the search for the big guy.

Edited by Incorrigible1
  • Haha 2

BFF Patron

I would buy a helicopter and hire a pilot that could deliver me and other researchers into places where I simply cannot get to on the ground.  

I like your plan, Madison, and would love to ride shotgun in your helicopter, SWWASAS.

Our own LOTTO MAX here in Canada gets pretty big, $50 million or more, so a win for me would at least set my local group up in the woods, with all the latest gear, in comfort, for as long as it takes.

BFF Patron
On 10/23/2018 at 7:27 AM, Caenus said:

Develop an air droppable game camera system that can be retrieved by drone. 

A couple “command center RV’s” used as mobile command centers with all of the above as well as critical supplies, such as a cooler, hammock and BBQ.  Maybe fishing poles for “undercover work”. 

You have a couple of doable projects there.      I have a gut feeling that not only does BF get into places where humans rarely do,  that they do so with great frequency.     Areas so secluded or difficult to get to because of steep terrain would have lot of appeal to a creature who takes such great pains to avoid humans.       Much of the problems with those frequent game camera users is getting back to the area to check batteries and video cards.      Drones that could place them and retrieve them more frequently would sure speed things up.      Perhaps even expand that to small rover like vehicles that can move around and make it more difficult for BF to avoid.    BF seem pretty good at avoiding game cameras.    But a game camera that moves would make it very difficult to avoid.    One would need amateur radio operation gear to get the range necessary to operate the gear.     Repeaters could be set up on high ground to get signals back and forth.    Plant the gear,   retreat to distant high ground and actively monitor what is going on.    I like it so much I will start developing the gear.     

Hi everyone. And then what.........?

I have a chapter in my book than ends with this: "The second half will be the most critical of all which is first to extract the body from the habitat and then deliver it to.....where exactly? And to whom?"

It goes on to say that a facility and a scientist to do the study at that facility needs to be set up long before anyone turns the key and leaves the driveway. This of course would be for a serious pro-kill endeavor. It would mean that a good chunk of money would be initially invested in keeping a discreet scientist AND the facility on the equivalent of a retainer- to be available at the drop of a hat (only during normal business hours) to receive a type specimen virtually unannounced. So whoever is bringing a body can just go there and have everything immediately there and ready to go. A cool million ought to do it.

Edited by hiflier

BFF Patron

I agree with what you say about having all the details worked out well before you have the body, but only having one scientist involved seems very risky to me.      I have repeatedly said that whoever procures a body, skeleton, or anything capable of proving existence of the species better be ready for some government agency, state or federal, to decide it needs possession of the body worse that you do.    If it is confiscated at any point, it will be your word and that of your scientist against some government agency exactly what you had that they confiscated.   More scientists involved the more difficult it would be for government agencies to claim the prize.    This is even more important if there is an existence cover up.    Involvement of some public university biology department in the state in which the body was procured might solve a lot of turf issues.    The T Rex Sue case is very pertinent especially if Federal Land is involved.   

"The scientist" as a single entity would be the head of a facility because a scientist typically does their own a facility where they are the only one there- especially a university department facility. So "a scientist" just means that only ONE scientist should know bout the 'plan'. Being a head scientist his 'underlings' will do as they are told, and do it without advanced notice.

42 minutes ago, SWWASAS said:

I have repeatedly said that whoever procures a body, skeleton, or anything capable of proving existence of the species better be ready for some government agency, state or federal, to decide it needs possession of the body worse that you do.    

And it is wise to maintain that thought at the forefront during every stage of the planning as it will help guide everyone involved in working to avoid that outcome. There are ways at every step in which a group can screw up and lose the body. The trick is to brainstorm and anticipate the pitfalls. The biggest offender in losing the "prize" is something that I have said many times- don't leave a digital trail to follow. And with everyone so used to having and using electronics as second nature that would be the most difficult aspect to control. Everyone needs to be constantly conscious of electronic eavesdropping in ALL forms. "They" can "sneak" a facility like a NEON program into the habitat without the general public knowing? Because I certainly didn't know about it until you mentioned there was such a facility in the field. And no one I spoke to after that knew such facilities even existed.

And BTW someone who hits a bear with their vehicle and kills it? That bear becomes the property of the state.

Edited by hiflier

BFF Patron

Funny that you mention the NEON facility.      When they plunked that down in the middle of my research area,  I thought well there goes the neighborhood.    That seemed to be an accurate prediction when my encounters dropped to nothing.    But later when I found a BF footprint within sight of the facility  (a couple of hundred yards), I nearly laughed out loud.  BF apparently had different ideas.    If they have sensors of the type that can detect surface movement,   they are likely trying to figure out why there is bipedal traffic past the place in the middle of the night.  By this time they are likely trying to figure out explanations or perhaps they knew when the built the place.   If their tower has cameras installed,   they have seen evidence of my interest.    Perhaps even tagging me as producing the bipedal traffic.    If anyone hears of some talk about the NEON program let me know.    I would love to ask some potentially embarrassing questions.   

3 hours ago, SWWASAS said:

I would buy a helicopter and hire a pilot that could deliver me and other researchers into places where I simply cannot get to on the ground.  

Many years ago, a researcher, a 'professor' I think, parachuted into remote , inaccessible terrain  of Oregon to 'make contact'. He jumped from the plane and was never heard from again.

Consider that there are places in the forest that a human should not go into.

• Confused 1

BFF Patron

If I had a helicopter for use,    first place I would go would be the Tarzan Springs area.     If a family of BF lived there with a prospector in the early 1900s.    It is likely that descendants of those BF are still in the area.   I have looked at the area from the air and getting in there on the ground would be a major expedition.    Parachuting into timber is inherently dangerous.     If I landed on the big old growth Doug Fir in my front yard,   and the chute hung up,  I would be dangling a very long way from the ground.     I had the tree thinned out a couple of years ago and the guy figured it was over 130 feet tall based on how far his safety rope was from the ground.     Even though the forest service would have problems with a helicopter landing in the forest,   you could comply with the letter of the law and simply rapell from a chopper or just step off the skid onto the ground.    Resupply would just be dropping packages from low altitude.    Like smoke jumpers,   you would need to walk out to a suitable landing zone or road for vehicle pickup.  

21 minutes ago, Catmandoo said:

Many years ago, a researcher, a 'professor' I think, parachuted into remote , inaccessible terrain  of Oregon to 'make contact'. He jumped from the plane and was never heard from again.

Consider that there are places in the forest that a human should not go into.

Sounds like quite a story...