Daniel Perez

P-G Filmsite, 1967 and 2018

MindSquatch

No, the rooted vertical stump just behind! 

Backdoc
8 hours ago, MindSquatch said:

Has anyone ever brought up why that tree stump by Patty looks like it was cut by a chain saw? Why would a tree in a hard to get to area be cut by a chain saw, doesn't make any sense to me.

Might not not be the same issue but there was a logging crew in the area during that time.   I assume logging crews would be concerned of clearing road areas only and not remote areas or edge areas away from any road.

PBeaton

There are/were a number of stumps visible in the film an at the site.

352-highest-quality-2.jpg46c2dea6dd3e7e8bbcd2f031ba00a189c87df3243a0c17fc648f24b5be55b18a_large

hiflier

Hi Pat, thanks for posting the photo. It shows very well the angle of the shadows at the sight with respect to where Roger and his camera were positioned. And yes, there are long shadows from tall things and short shadows from smaller low or horizontal things. Also it shows where the Sun was shining on Patty and from the rest of the shadow angles in the photo it shows approximately where her shadow might have been in relation to her and Roger. Basically her shadow would have been cast onto her opposite left side. It is probably why her shadow looked shorter. As I said, Roger was a short guy and between that, his angle with respect to the Sun and Patty, the time of day, the distance to her, along with the slope of the terrain, were all factors in why her shadow appeared shorter for her height.

Edited by hiflier

NatFoot

Ok...so why all the trees cut via chainsaw all the way back then?

Squatchy McSquatch
38 minutes ago, NatFoot said:

Ok...so why all the trees cut via chainsaw all the way back then?

Logging crews with chainsaws. Heck they even had a backhoe.

norseman

What sort of a logging crew runs around with a backhoe? Dozers. Yah. Skidders. Yah. Loggers dont dig. 

Edited by norseman

Daniel Perez

The whole P-G filmsite was extensively logged probably after the 1964 flood and before October 1967, based on the many stumps that are visible, both in the P-G film and also the Green film of Jim McClarin. Presumably they used chainsaws or something along those lines.

Daniel Perez

Attached you will see one of the stumps seen in the P-G movie. This stump has survived from October 1967 to October 2018, some fifty one years. This stump is absolutely, 100%, from the P-G filmsite. Image courtesy and copyright © Daniel Perez, 2018.

DSC_8148.JPG

This is the stump seen behind Patty, to the left of her.

Screen Shot 2018-10-24 at 9.01.44 PM.png

PBeaton

Heya Daniel,

Been a bit, hope all is well with all.

Was the second branch still there by chance ?

Pat...

pgf branches.jpg

Daniel Perez

Did not notice the second branch with your yellow arrow. And by the way, in my original post if you look in the distance and see the speck of green that does not look like the green from the trees, that is because that is the shirt of Steven Lindsay, Jr, who was standing just in front of the "smiley stump," so we could get our "sight line," as it is difficult to "see" things with all the small trees getting in the way. 

I suspect if we stood on the P-G site longer we could find many more artifacts that were there fifty one years ago.

hiflier

Except the girl herself ;) She was probably old and gray 30 years ago.

Squatchy McSquatch
13 hours ago, norseman said:

What sort of a logging crew runs around with a backhoe? Dozers. Yah. Skidders. Yah. Loggers dont dig. 

Logging crew/road crew six of one half dozen...

brw norse when I worked commercial tree clearing in 2000-2001 we had 2 skid steer (bobcat) and a front end loader (for grading) with a rear mounted — you guessed it — a backhoe.

Are you denying Gimlins claim that he used a backhoe to pull his truck and trailer out during the rainstorm? Or do you just want to argue which trades use what equipment?

Because A backhoe has more applications than just digging.

Edited by Squatchy McSquatch

norseman
46 minutes ago, Squatchy McSquatch said:

Logging crew/road crew six of one half dozen...

brw norse when I worked commercial tree clearing in 2000-2001 we had 2 skid steer (bobcat) and a front end loader (for grading) with a rear mounted — you guessed it — a backhoe.

Are you denying Gimlins claim that he used a backhoe to pull his truck and trailer out during the rainstorm? Or do you just want to argue which trades use what equipment?

Because A backhoe has more applications than just digging.

Commercial tree thinning isn't logging. How many Doug fir 33’ logs can your bobcat skid steers pull? Backhoe? Do you wrap the chokers around the boom to pull logs? You would destroy your gear and go bankrupt. I own a 160 blade runner excavator with a AFE mulching head. Im NOT a logger.

There might have very well been a backhoe in there. Wouldn't have belonged to any California logging crew. Maybe a contractor was up there putting culverts in?

A backhoe’s only purpose is digging and filling the hole back in. Ive loaded trucks with a backhoe one time in a gravel pit and it was like trying to kill a Griz with a fly swatter. The front bucket is like a yard and a quarter. One belly dump is 24 yards.... Thank god the front end loader was only down for a day. It had a seven yard bucket. 3.5 scoops and the truck is loaded.

Im just telling you that PacNW loggers do not own backhoes. Why? Call a dirt contractor if one is needed.....