Daniel Perez

P-G Filmsite, 1967 and 2018

Backdoc
BFF Donor

PGF then and now.

For those few who might have missed it, here is a video on YouTube of an expedition to the site where they found the site.  Please go to 6 min in where Bill Munns outlines the site.  A very interesting point is the fact the site now sits lower than in 1967 due to erosion.  That is, it is now many feet lower than in 1967 (See Video at  7:55  )

• Upvote 2

xspider1
BFF Donor

Many thanks to the folks who did that PGf site survey!  It's amazing to learn that the creek bank is already 7 feet lower than it was in 1967!  yikes!  The awesome power of Mother Nature.. :blink: 

Thanks for the link to that video, Backdoc!  I definitely needed to see that again..  8 )

Edited by xspider1

ThinkAboutPools

Do you guys camp overnight in the area or are you able to get to the site from where you park your car and have a full day to examine the area?

Bill

When we were there in 2012, we camped at a campsite about 45 minutes hike from the film site. So we hiked in each morning, and spent about 6 hours there, and hiked out. The campsite area had some toilet facilities and some cleared areas for tents or camper vehicles.

• Like 1

MIB
On 12/7/2018 at 10:17 PM, xspider1 said:

It's amazing to learn that the creek bank is already 7 feet lower than it was in 1967!

It is important to understand that the Christmas flood of 1964 deposited vast amounts of gravel from hillsides into smaller streams, then smaller streams into larger ones.    This raised the stream beds quite a bit higher than they had been before the flood.   It has taken many years for smaller seasonal high waters to remove the "new" gravels deposited by the larger flood events.   This change of stream bed height is not necessarily a matter of bedrock cutting this quickly but of catastrophically added overburden being slowly re-removed.

In the general region there were also major flood events in 1927 and 1955.   I've seen 1890 mentioned as a monster flood.   There was supposed to have been another the 1850s but it is a thing of legend as there were not that many (white) people around to record it.  The flood of '55 left impacts on major rivers that can still be seen today.    Two rapids on the Rogue so major they were called "falls" in the past, major enough some boaters unloaded their boats and lined them rather than running them, and now they're just fast steep riffles of no particular note.

MIB 

Edited by MIB

Patterson-Gimlin

Thanks friend 

That is some very interesting information. My youngest daughter lives near the film site area. I have been there  but not the flm site. 

wiiawiwb

PG - that's an opportunity of a lifetime to go to the actual site. You should build it into your schedule the next time you see your daughter.

Bill can comment authoritatively but I remember a Finding Bigfoot episode where they went to the site and were amazed how close the distance between Roger and Patty appeared to be. 

Daniel Perez

When we were camped in the Bluff Creek area in 2012 and just recently in October we camped at Louse Camp, and the road to the spur to go down to the P-G filmsite is just a few miles. Then you have to walk the rest of the way. Louse Camp has one portable  toilet, which has been there for as long as I can remember. The first time I was in Louse Camp was Summer 1980.

The actual P-G filmsite, as best as i can tell, has not gone down in elevation but the area that is near Bluff Creek has had considerable soil erosion and the creek is easily seven feet below the site, if not more. I would say closer to maybe twelve feet and it appears the creek now is on bedrock. Some of the filmsite that was viewable in 1967 is all washed away. It is an interesting place and I encourage people to visit to satisfy their own curiosity.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Patterson-Gimlin
1 hour ago, wiiawiwb said:

PG - that's an opportunity of a lifetime to go to the actual site. You should build it into your schedule the next time you see your daughter.

Bill can comment authoritatively but I remember a Finding Bigfoot episode where they went to the site and were amazed how close the distance between Roger and Patty appeared to be. 

Thanks and you are correct. I must do that

I remember that episode as well. 

ThinkAboutPools
11 hours ago, Bill said:

When we were there in 2012, we camped at a campsite about 45 minutes hike from the film site. So we hiked in each morning, and spent about 6 hours there, and hiked out. The campsite area had some toilet facilities and some cleared areas for tents or camper vehicles.

2 hours ago, Daniel Perez said:

When we were camped in the Bluff Creek area in 2012 and just recently in October we camped at Louse Camp, and the road to the spur to go down to the P-G filmsite is just a few miles. Then you have to walk the rest of the way. Louse Camp has one portable  toilet, which has been there for as long as I can remember. The first time I was in Louse Camp was Summer 1980.

The actual P-G filmsite, as best as i can tell, has not gone down in elevation but the area that is near Bluff Creek has had considerable soil erosion and the creek is easily seven feet below the site, if not more. I would say closer to maybe twelve feet and it appears the creek now is on bedrock. Some of the filmsite that was viewable in 1967 is all washed away. It is an interesting place and I encourage people to visit to satisfy their own curiosity.

Thanks  for the responses. Was there a reason you guys took six years to get back to the site? Just curious...I recently discovered all of this PGF site authentication material yet it's been six years since the reports of the 2012 trip. I obviously lapsed in my Bigfoot reading because I never read anything like this stuff when I was a member of this site or another back in the 2006-2009 time period. It's all very interesting.

Backdoc
BFF Donor
11 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

I read somewhere the Finding Bigfoot episode was later said to be near the area but not at the area.  Might have even been a rebroadcast with a pop up message during the episode.  Could have been a YouTube vid with  pop up during the vid.

If they were not exactly there that’s  ok.  If they were that’s pretty cool.

wiiawiwb

Bill,

I was stunned when I saw that episode. Cameras can make perspective seem distant or near. In this case, the perspective felt as though it was so close. I remember being floored. Many of the PGF sequences on YT appear to be from some place afar.

It makes me want to do a reenactment, right there, exactly as you are doing to gain a fresh perspective on things. Kudos!

Wiia

Daniel Perez

Camera perspective is VERY important as it tends to distort (sometimes) an area that obviously has three dimensions but when you see film or a magazine with still images from the film you are seeing everything compressed into one dimension.

The P-G filmsite, believe it or not, can fit at least two football fields in it. It is that big but with all the trees there now it tends to look small when in fact it is quite large.

I was on the P-G filmsite in 2012, 2014, October 20, 2017 (50th anniversary ) and 2018. My first time in the area was Summer 1980. I was with the Texas based Bigfoot Research Society and when we went down there we went down the "Big Slide" and headed south when we should have been going upstream or "north." I wish I could have seen the filmsite then, when I was 17, and since I had never been there before I was just going along with adult researchers who presumably knew what they were doing. Turns out we were headed in the wrong direction.

In 1980 the P-G filmsite was much more accessible than it is today, as two roads are no longer in service that flank the creek from both sides.

What still rings in my head is a comment the late René Dahinden told me before he died. He said something along the lines of  "If I could clear out all the trees I could recreate the filmsite." Realistically and technically it is possible but I am not sure if the forest service would go for the idea of clear out so many trees. Many of us over the years have cleared away a lot of branches but by the time you get there the next year all the limbs you cleared out have grown back. 

I highly encourage others to visit to develop your own ideas about the filmsite.

Daniel Perez

www.bigfoottimes.net

Screen Shot 2018-12-13 at 7.48.00 PM.png