WSA

Lost Kingdom of the Yeti

Arvedis

I'm not a scientist, not even an armchair variety but I do read a lot. Reconstructing dna profiles from samples is tricky business. They were able to gather enough from a wooly mammoth carcass trapped in permafrost to be able to potentially resurrect the species through cloning, which is amazing. That is a far cry from skin cells which I can't imagine would contain enough to build a profile.

If there is a bottom line it is that this species or multi-species doesn't line up with our modern day extremely advanced DNA powers of technology. That is why the ape theory falls flat on its face and that is why every wild goose chaser out there ends up with nothing at all as far as useful genetic conclusions. It's not a member of homo. 

My own theory, I don't think the government cares about Bigfoot. I think all of those goofy tales are entertaining but not on target.

Edited by Arvedis

hiflier

For myself, and for many reasons, I would think the government would care a great deal about Bigfoot. Especially if information regarding its existence was verified to be true. To put it in perspective, what if a tribe of previously unknown Native Americans was discovered in an area heavily harvested for its natural resources? Of course, such a discovery would be impossible. Would it follow that a creature like Bigfoot's discovery therefore is also impossible? In a few weeks we may be finding an answer to that very question.

SWWASAS

Well I have proposed that someone (maybe with a brother that is a lawyer) simply announce on this forum that they have successfully shot a BF and wonder what to do with the body.      If the government is involved,  you can be sure the black suburbans will show up to confiscate it.     Someone that runs that experiment better have a lawyer present and several layers of people that know what you are up to or we might just wonder why you stated that and disappeared from the forum.     If nothing happens, then we know that the government really does not care or know.     I think it so likely that I would not care to run the experiment.     I don't like small spaces like a cell.  

Arvedis

Uh huh.  Well I know I'm protected because I'm wearing a tin foil hat. This is in no way to be considered legal advice but I strongly suggest every one else don a tin foil hat for your own protection.

SWWASAS

Metal helmet works good too.   I am surprised that some of our famous hoaxers have not done the very thing I suggested then claim the government showed up and took it away from them.    

BOQUK
On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 4:04 AM, Arvedis said:

Didn't see the documentary and didn't do any research on the clues mentioned in this thread.  What was the DNA source in the footprint?  hair?  If so, that is problematic as that will typically not provide anything definitive (not my opinion, many have tried and failed going this route).  Also, I am unclear on the role of water samples you mentioned.

Are there additional details to the genetic investigation?

3 hours ago, Arvedis said:

I'm not a scientist, not even an armchair variety but I do read a lot. Reconstructing dna profiles from samples is tricky business. They were able to gather enough from a wooly mammoth carcass trapped in permafrost to be able to potentially resurrect the species through cloning, which is amazing. That is a far cry from skin cells which I can't imagine would contain enough to build a profile.

If there is a bottom line it is that this species or multi-species doesn't line up with our modern day extremely advanced DNA powers of technology. That is why the ape theory falls flat on its face and that is why every wild goose chaser out there ends up with nothing at all as far as useful genetic conclusions. It's not a member of homo. 

My own theory, I don't think the government cares about Bigfoot. I think all of those goofy tales are entertaining but not on target.

Arvedis, hopefully this link might help clarify the DNA collection?

https://iconfilms.co.uk/productions/lost-kingdom-of-the-yeti/

WSA

As to question of when e-DNA evidence would be released? I'm not sure it matters as much as the content of whatever disclosure it makes, and even the best case will be hobbled by the lack of a type specimen. The French scientist lady is just naïve in declaring that all you have to do is come up with a sample that doesn't fit any known profile and EUREKA! Umm..no. No it won't prove a thing. We know this from experience. 

Here's the menu:

1. Unknown primate (contamination)

2. Human/Primate/other hybrid (contamination or likely hoax)

3. Human (So what?)

Until you can say with certainty that THIS came from THAT specimen over there, you are peeing up a rope. Not that it isn't interesting or it wouldn't give us exciting new information to consider. It just wouldn't do anything to confirm existence for any scientist or lay person needing harder evidence, and that describes a lot of people.

BOQUK

A bit harsh to say she is naïve!

She actually said 'if we get DNA and we compare it with the reference database and there is no match then it's an unknown species' and Mark Evans adds 'something new' which she repeats. From memory of watching this, I don't recall her confirming the existence of anything other than the DNA was 99% human and it is left open.

At least they are trying and taking their research seriously and the fact one of them almost died is a testament to their dedication to get more evidence imo…  

Arvedis

Found it on youtube but didn't really get much out of it, couldn't sustain my interest for more than 30 minutes.  :boredom:

Difficult terrain to do any research for sure.

norseman

Watching Expedition Unknown I am blown away as to how much Bhutan looks like the Pac NW!

Airdale

And don't ya love some of those ex-military vehicles Josh and crew dig up on some of their travels?

• Upvote 1

Whistler
On 11/7/2018 at 2:29 PM, WSA said:

Not sure if this has been discussed here or not...Animal Planet's documentary about an expedition to Bhutan to uncover "once and for all, yada, yada...", BUT it did include some interesting science by one member, a French geneticist who specialized in sampling environmental DNA. She sampled snow inside of footprints and pulled water from streams to see if any unknown DNA was present. I think this originally aired back in May of this year.  I have been searching around but can't find any documentation of what her actual conclusions were regarding the samples.  Anybody know anything about this? 

Loved the final episode of this three parter a lot. It’s hard to imagine anyone other group doing anything around that body of water at such a high altitude.. If mountain sheep can survive there, it’s not a far stretch for a yeti to as well...

Cheers!