Bigfoot is real.

Guest A- boy-from-golden-valley

Guest Queen Elizabeth

Hi all

Thank you for new member welcomes....I have no proof of what my cousin and i heard as it was back in 1973 and we had no camera or even a flashlight with us, but we know what we heard. On our way as young teenagers to visit friends at a house party in rural upstate N.Y., just walking and talking along the 2 lane blacktop road with no streetlights. We knew the area very well so walking a mile was no big deal. I say now that i wish we had a flashlight, but would this have aggravated the being whose presence we heard? I don't know. Ok, the facts are it was around midnight and all was quiet except for the LOUD sound of a heartbeat that stopped us in our tracks. Pure fear made us run back towards home. We got about 5 minutes away and decided did we really hear that? We carefully walked back towards the heartbeat sound and it was definitely not our imaginations playing tricks on us. It was a slow, steady heartbeat. No other information such as growling, unusual odor, nothing. Just a slow steady sound of that heartbeat. W e have no idea what could have made that sound. To this day we still believe it was a Sasquatch. Anybody have any thoughts? We couldn't see into the dense trees which were close to the road and after listening for a few minutes, it was not heard anywhere else as we, again, decided it was real and time to run back home. Rural areas have all types of creatures, but an extremely loud heartbeat? We will never ever forget that! To the people we knew and told about this, well....nobody believed a word we said. Thats fine. We know what we heard. If anyone has an explanation, please let me know. I can't forget it and never will. In our 60s now, we still have no doubts that it was "something". Thank you for reading and any thoughts from you experienced people would be highly appreciated...Q.E.

And I welcome you to the Forum as well :) Was it windy at all? Sorry, just trying to understand what if anything else might have been going on. It is almost impossible to hear a heart beat so going onto other possibilities is not a bad thing. Lately I have been looking into chest beating and so that by default has been on my mind. It may have been a slow chest beating kind of sound? As in right/left.....right/left.  Or left/right.....left /right. Or left/left...left/left. Or.........huh.......boy, maybe I DO need a break LOL. It has been a long year here. 

I haven't really pursued this subject with a new thread but it might be time to do so.

Edited by hiflier

Guest Queen Elizabeth

Thank you hiflier. For your insight and humor...

It was a quiet night during the summer with no wind.

The sound was as if someone with a slow pulse had hooked themselves up to a speaker to amplify it. I know....sounding crazy here. I never thought about chest beating....it had a regular slow rhythm. Just in that one area too. I have wondered about this for over 45 years and still have no clue....I really wish we had a flashlight, but we both know what we heard and those woods went wayyy back to a lake. The opposite side of the road was rarely bothered, going back to bear dens and who knows what else. Had deer hunters come up from the city but the season didn't start until November....geez, i just dont know. QE

BFF Patron

I have experienced chest beating twice from BF.   In both cases it was because I urinated very near to where a BF was hiding.       While it cannot be mistaken for a heart beat, it is a rhythmic and loud sound.  Its primary use by BF seems to be to intimidate just like a gorilla does with a bluff charge.  .   Queen Elizabeth,  do a search for chest beating by gorillas and listen and see if it sounded like what you heard.    The BF chest thumping was very similar to the gorilla.       Skeptics and some proponents always suggest it could have been ruffled grouse but the beat frequency of a grouse varies greatly during the event, starting very slow and increasing rapidly.      The chest thumping BF is nearly as regular as it if was a drummer in an orchestra.  

Edited by SWWASAS

Yes, but what I am getting at isn't typical chest beating. It could be a different style where a BF doesn't feel threatened of is trying to be a dominant creature in maybe a mating situation. It would be more similar in a chest beating or hand clapping version of a soft double tree knock. It could happen that way. A chest beating sequence that is more subtle and less aggressive sounding. All speculation of course if the source was actually a Sasquatch to begin with. Could have been foot stomping for all we know.

Edited by hiflier
  • Upvote 1

BFF Patron

Rhythmic means with a constant beat or tempo.    Heart beat tempo is in the low 70s for humans.    I suspect BF would be considerably slower.   And I have never heard of anyone claiming to hear their heartbeat even when they were close enough to touch tents etc.  Meldrum talks about the large apes making rhythmic sounds with their mouths.    That or chest thumping could be what people are hearing.    When they are in their stealth mode,  you can hear footsteps.      The one I cornered I could hear footsteps in twos or threes as it moved tree to tree trying to stay behind tree cover.     It was a soft low pitched  thudding sound.   So what QE was hearing might have been that, like Hiflier said,  foot stomping.     Absent dry underbrush breaking a following BF (very common report) could have been making the dull thudding of footsteps as it followed the kids.        In the field,  once I got tuned into that sound,  that thudding sound is a sure sign they are present out of sight.     The best way to describe it is the infra-sound like sound that large rock in a fast running stream makes when it moves the rocks and knocks them together.    Low thuds right at the bottom limit of my hearing.    Next time you are around a fast moving stream with a lot of large rock listen for that.    

Edited by SWWASAS
  • Upvote 1

Guest Queen Elizabeth

Thank you for the suggestion SWWASAS. I looked on online and listened to a few videos of mountain gorillas chest beating. The sound was too rapid compared to what we heard. I am starting to think I'll never find out what that sound was. I dont know. It was odd, i can tell you that...Thanks to everyone who offered their thoughts.QE

BFF Patron
34 minutes ago, Queen Elizabeth said:

Thank you for the suggestion SWWASAS. I looked on online and listened to a few videos of mountain gorillas chest beating. The sound was too rapid compared to what we heard. I am starting to think I'll never find out what that sound was. I dont know. It was odd, i can tell you that...Thanks to everyone who offered their thoughts.QE

You need not respond and use up a posting, but could it have been the thuds of heavy footsteps following you?    I just thought of another possibility.   Was the heart beat anywhere near human tempo?    If so,  given what I have experienced with a infra-sound,   it could have been the results of that either directly or making you hear your own heartbeat.  

I have been doing BF research for a long time.    Rather than answer questions,   I keep encountering stuff that creates more questions.  .    BF have strange behaviors.      We do not wear our backgrounds like badges, but there are several of us science educated people here as members.   I hope you do field work and answer your own existence questions.      I have spent more time in the woods in the last 10 years than all of my life before.    If nothing else, you get to appreciate how wonderful nature is and get some exercise doing it.  .  

6 hours ago, SWWASAS said:

You need not respond and use up a posting, but could it have been the thuds of heavy footsteps following you?

I didn't get that impression. The 'following' part I mean. I think the 'beat' was in one location and they returned home- or nearly home and then went back out and heard the same sound in the same location? I'll have to look back.

My own theory on the variety of noises they make is their chest cavity is enormous and they take advantage of it to create their own methods of communication.  They clearly have powerful vocal chords in addition to a dynamic range of "speech" which varies considerably across the species. 

Edited by Arvedis
  • Upvote 1

^^^ Norseman, I believe that you have Dusky Grouse in your area. Another fine example of a bird with loud and repetitive  hoots.

I have the Sooty Grouse. Both were called 'Blue Grouse' until 2006 when they were split into 2 groups. The Sooty Grouse has very loud, low frequency hoots. The hoots can be heard over a mile away. In my area, the Sooty Grouse does sets of 5 hoots. It sounds like wood knocking. The repetition is precise and seems mechanical. It gets better. The Sooty Grouse is considered to be ventriloquial. I had one that would follow me. Always above and behind me. Drove me crazy.. One day,  it came out  the tree tops like an out of gas Hail Mary pass and landed several feet away. Odd for a game bird to land by a human. It walked around for awhile. Interesting diet of pine needles that these Grouse have. Lots of food.

• Upvote 2

• gigantor unfeatured this topic