Poll: When Would An Announcement Of e-DNA Positive For Sasquatch Be Made?

hiflier

When Would An Announcement Of e-DNA Positive For Sasquatch Be Made?  

54 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Norse, I think the reality is the chances/opportunities of getting a body to examine  are vanishingly small compared to those of getting DNA. I regret that as much as you do, but perfect is often the enemy of "good enough" , and this might be such a case. If anyone is not ready to seriously ponder the possibilities of what is in the DNA data, they might be missing the best opportunity to move the ball forward in our lifetimes. Holding out for 100% cryptid or nothing-to- see-here?  We'd all like a home-run, but reality down here amongst us is a little different it seems.

Speaking of baseball...do we know of any ape species that have a documented ability to hurl objects with the reported degree of accuracy and speed that BF has? Sure, I've seen chimps hurl around debris and raise hell, but this seems to be on another level all together. One thing I've been pondering is exactly how much cognitive ability is required for that degree of coordination and spatial sense, and what that might indicate about brain development.  Anyone got anything on that?

My best guess is that it is entirely a "left brain" issue meaning no imagination is required. And I would also venture that not all Sasquatches would automatically possess the same accuracy. I have thrown pine cones. They really don't go very far being on the lighter side of how much they weigh vs. wild resistance. Compact ones that have yet to spread their kernels open do fair better. But to be accurate with enough to say hit someone in the chest? It would be tantamount to being a very close encounter. Even rocks at 30 yards have accuracy issues. How often would a Bigfoot toss either enough to be really good at it? Natural athletic ability aside, whether overhand, underhand, or sidearm, it might just take a bit of frequent practice to get a level of accuracy.

Good thoughts HiFlier...like all else, I view this through an "adaptation" lens.  The most obvious adaptive advantage to that can only be hunting related (Unless, there is some weird kind of Krazy Kat mating ritual that makes that quite the turn-on for sultry BF-esses), which I'm sure is where Sparky Lyle came by his prowess too.  So that puts our "dumb ape" up another notch, wouldn't you say?  Once you discount all the "ape-like" behaviors H. sapiens also share and exhibit, it becomes harder and harder to figure, don't it?

Well, when taking all of the reports to describe the attributes given the prowess, stealth, speed and strength of the creature and its varying degrees of abilities one can at least say that bringing one out of the forest would be a challenge like no other. Especially if it runs on two legs. It's one thing to say a bullet of the right caliber and ft./sec will take one down and entirely another getting that bullet to the target in the first place.

4 hours ago, WSA said:

Norse, I think the reality is the chances/opportunities of getting a body to examine  are vanishingly small compared to those of getting DNA. I regret that as much as you do, but perfect is often the enemy of "good enough" , and this might be such a case. If anyone is not ready to seriously ponder the possibilities of what is in the DNA data, they might be missing the best opportunity to move the ball forward in our lifetimes. Holding out for 100% cryptid or nothing-to- see-here?  We'd all like a home-run, but reality down here amongst us is a little different it seems.

Speaking of baseball...do we know of any ape species that have a documented ability to hurl objects with the reported degree of accuracy and speed that BF has? Sure, I've seen chimps hurl around debris and raise hell, but this seems to be on another level all together. One thing I've been pondering is exactly how much cognitive ability is required for that degree of coordination and spatial sense, and what that might indicate about brain development.  Anyone got anything on that?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/arstechnica.com/science/2016/03/ritualized-behavior-chimps-all-throw-rocks-at-the-same-tree/%3famp=1

4 hours ago, WSA said:

Good thoughts HiFlier...like all else, I view this through an "adaptation" lens.  The most obvious adaptive advantage to that can only be hunting related (Unless, there is some weird kind of Krazy Kat mating ritual that makes that quite the turn-on for sultry BF-esses), which I'm sure is where Sparky Lyle came by his prowess too.  So that puts our "dumb ape" up another notch, wouldn't you say?  Once you discount all the "ape-like" behaviors H. sapiens also share and exhibit, it becomes harder and harder to figure, don't it?

No such thing as a dumb ape. Primates are a super smart group. And great Apes are the tiny apex at the top of that group.

Edited by norseman

I am continually surprised at what chimps can do, yes.  Don't know if this experiment covers it, but that their ability to think in the abstract future-tense and warn others in their group of danger has also documented.

But the rock "throwing" shown is more along the lines of rock "slamming" , and I've seen similar stuff before. If they were standing off out of sight and pegging that tree with arcing lobs, as BF have been purported to do, that would be something else entirely. 

17 minutes ago, WSA said:

I am continually surprised at what chimps can do, yes.  Don't know if this experiment covers it, but that their ability to think in the abstract future-tense and warn others in their group of danger has also documented.

But the rock "throwing" shown is more along the lines of rock "slamming" , and I've seen similar stuff before. If they were standing off out of sight and pegging that tree with arcing lobs, as BF have been purported to do, that would be something else entirely. 

So Norseman. Right brained activity......or no? They best way to find out might be to do some research on pre-frontal cortex development in these apes. Maybe in an different thread though you guys?

Edited by hiflier

5 minutes ago, hiflier said:

So Norseman. Right brained activity......or no? They best way to find out might be to do some research on pre-frontal cortex development in these apes. Maybe in an different thread though you guys?

No idea.

Apes throw things, its well documented. Apes are highly intelligent, its also well documented. Science considers Humans apart of the great Ape family. Or Hominidae.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hominidae

Facts matter.

26 minutes ago, Incorrigible1 said:

Curious if anyone has observed  / witnessed a bigfoot throwing anything?

Yes ... reportedly so, anyway.   Seeing it, vs just seeing the flying rock, is relatively infrequent.   Instances of bigfoot sightings in conjunction with rocks landing near people are somewhat more frequent.   Derek Randles' first sighting would be one concrete example.  (Google it.  You should find it and more.)

I suppose it comes down to whether you believe reports or not.   If you do not, it doesn't matter what has been reported, or by whom, you won't believe 'til there's one in captivity you can watch throwing.   

MIB

Interesting videos...thanks for the work Norseman.

Of course, we don't have any way to know if BF throw overhand, or underhand, but what I saw of that chimp behind the wire, it was, again,  not what we are seeing in BF accounts as far as distance and velocity...just sort of an awkward underhand lob.  My assumption, based on the distances and trajectories described, it would need to be a deliberate, full wind-up overhand chunk. Guess that is another one of those unknowns we keep running into.

Oh my yes, Norseman, facts DO matter! But there are Humans, that fail to see the humor in jokes, can play Mozart on the piano flawlessly until you take the sheet music away. Will learn to do something one way but cannot imagine doing the same thing a different way. Cannot problem solve even though they are skilled at what they do. It is the imaginative side that makes its home in the pre-frontal cortex of the brain. If it is underdeveloped then everything functions as logic, like a computer, but lacks creativity. Apes throw rocks. But they only stack them in a pyramid when shown. And even then it becomes a rote exercise. Not saying apes don't have fun and humor each other, just saying that beyond their social norms they will never build a bicycle though they can be taught to ride one. They will go in circles forever and never think once that they could venture down the sidewalk on their own just to even see what is out there.

This, in a nutshell, is how I view Sasquatch. Many will not agree with this assessment but it is the only one that fits.

Edited by hiflier

Just now, MIB said:

Yes ... reportedly so, anyway.   Seeing it, vs just seeing the flying rock, is relatively infrequent.   Instances of bigfoot sightings in conjunction with rocks landing near people are somewhat more frequent.   Derek Randles' first sighting would be one concrete example.  (Google it.  You should find it and more.)

I suppose it comes down to whether you believe reports or not.   If you do not, it doesn't matter what has been reported, or by whom, you won't believe 'til there's one in captivity you can watch throwing.   

MIB

Saw Derek narrating a recreation of his encounter just the other night..getting freaked out by two rocks landing virtually next to each other in his campsite, with no thrower in sight. He continues to impress me on this topic.

• Like 1

• gigantor unpinned and unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor locked this topic
  • gigantor unlocked this topic