Finding Bigfoot With Google Earth

MindSquatch

Great info Airdale, Thanks!  Question, have you come across anything as of yet that wasn't there before, or doesn't appear to be just a shadow?

P.S. how accurate is the measurement for small objects?

Edited by MindSquatch

3 hours ago, MindSquatch said:

Great info Airdale, Thanks!  Question, have you come across anything as of yet that wasn't there before, or doesn't appear to be just a shadow?

P.S. how accurate is the measurement for small objects?

It can be surprisingly difficult to spot animals in the wild on Google Earth. I live in the foothills of the Elkhorn Mountains in western Montana and they are aptly named. This fellow walked up the road about 40 feet in front of the house before going up behind our trailer and jumping into our neighbor's yard by the time I grabbed my camera and got to the front door.

P1070619.thumb.jpg.1dd08764ca362568e037f1bcc3976235.jpgP1070642.thumb.jpg.5218534b565ac3d4d1c6c01c54ffec6c.jpg 

We have whitetail and mulies all over the range as well as black bear, cougar, bobcat, fox etc. Even though they're often in the yard, I have yet to see any up in the high country in hours of looking on GE. The positive side is that the resolution of the imagery available continues to improve. I just measured the S-10 long bed pickup in our driveway in the imagery of our neighborhood and GE shows it at 16.9 feet and the listed length is 17.08 feet. That's well withing the resolution error of the image. That's certainly close enough for general measurement. The program is quite versatile; in 2014 I used it in conjunction with my desktop publishing software to analyze the approximate speed and change of altitude of a possible Sasquatch in a video made from near the summit of Tricouni Peak near Squamish, BC. The thread is "Possible Sasquatch In Glacial Valley Near Squamish, Bc" and if interested you can use that to find it using the forum search function at the top of the page. My analysis begins on page four of the thread.

Edited by Airdale
Additional information

• gigantor featured this topic

Airdale, that's pretty accurate with the measuring of your truck. So it seems that by using the GE measuring tool, it can aid in determining the height if one thinks they are looking at a possible Sasquatch on GE. I tested it out with the photos I posted. The first photo (pretty funny considering it was 35 feet in height) is most definitely not a Bigfoot. The second photo I posted measured 12 feet in height and that's the one that appears to be casting it's own shadow. But even that photo is not conclusive. If GE took another satellite photo the following year and was taken about the same time of year and day time, and that possible Bigfoot wasn't there this time around, then the possibility of it being an actual Bigfoot is more likely so. 

Thank You!

On 12/1/2018 at 4:13 PM, MindSquatch said:

I was a little baffled why you thought it was a street view.

Re-read my post.  I never said it was a street view.  Perhaps we are looking at the picture you posted in different ways.  I'm trying to fathom how something can look like a figure when it is photographed from above looking straight down.  How in the world does that kind of picture look like anything when it would be a picture of it's body looking down from 36,000 kms.

• Upvote 1

I believe because it's not flat land and along a mountain side it shows up that way, or appears to be more at an angle. Reread your post, understand what you were saying, sorry!

11 hours ago, MindSquatch said:

Airdale, that's pretty accurate with the measuring of your truck. So it seems that by using the GE measuring tool, it can aid in determining the height if one thinks they are looking at a possible Sasquatch on GE. I tested it out with the photos I posted. The first photo (pretty funny considering it was 35 feet in height) is most definitely not a Bigfoot. The second photo I posted measured 12 feet in height and that's the one that appears to be casting it's own shadow. But even that photo is not conclusive. If GE took another satellite photo the following year and was taken about the same time of year and day time, and that possible Bigfoot wasn't there this time around, then the possibility of it being an actual Bigfoot is more likely so. 

Thank You!

What I would try to measure on a possible Sasquatch would be shoulder width. The satellite views are seldom straight down, but in the absence of human construction that angle can be challenging to determine, especially in broken country. If there is a building of some sort, the first thing to look for is whether any portions of one or two walls can be seen, though they will be foreshortened. Manipulate the vertical and horizontal aspect using the shift key while holding down the left mouse button to tilt and rotate the image until the building(s) pop into looking 3D. You can do the same with a stand of trees on level ground, adjusting vertical angle and horizontal aspect until the tree trunks appear to be vertical. Because GE maps are built by combining a whole _____load of overlapping images into a gestalt, the aspect angle can change from one area to another. You can control vertical angle and horizontal aspect by holding down either the Shift or CTRL buttons and the left mouse button while moving the mouse. Any height measurement is going to be compromised by the steep angle of the satellite imagery, so a shoulder width measurement is most practical. My best suggestion is to play around with the program in an area that you are familiar with and sample different features; also check out user forum groups.

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 5:51 PM, Old Time Lifter said:

Have you posted your sighting(s) here somewhere?

OTL

Yes, I have posted my encounters many years back when this forum was bff 1.0 . This goes way back a long way back many moons ago and I can still remember my encounters like it was today. How can anyone ever forget their encounters with these creatures. You might forget the year but not the time of the encounter and I sure do not forget the weather of my encounters. The same goes with the experience of the encounter since it is embedded in your brain. But that is not what this thread is about. This thread is about how to use GE in finding Bigfoot and hiking into that area and proving it.The problem with google earth is that you are not looking at it in a live view but in a past view. This means that by the time you reach an area you believe a creature is in a given area it is too late. But that does not mean that these creatures do not return to these areas in the future. We can use google earth to predict the movement of these so called creatures to a given area. Google earth does make it possible for us to be in a area where they might be in a given month. This would make it possible to take down a specimen with in a given area. So google earth could give an advantage of predictability if we have an understanding of it's usage. Airdale  has given us a great in site on it's usage. We just need to look and take note how often they frequent a given area and hunt that area.

2 hours ago, ShadowBorn said:

OTL

Yes, I have posted my encounters many years back when this forum was bff 1.0 . This goes way back a long way back many moons ago and I can still remember my encounters like it was today. How can anyone ever forget their encounters with these creatures. You might forget the year but not the time of the encounter and I sure do not forget the weather of my encounters. The same goes with the experience of the encounter since it is embedded in your brain. But that is not what this thread is about. This thread is about how to use GE in finding Bigfoot and hiking into that area and proving it.The problem with google earth is that you are not looking at it in a live view but in a past view. This means that by the time you reach an area you believe a creature is in a given area it is too late. But that does not mean that these creatures do not return to these areas in the future. We can use google earth to predict the movement of these so called creatures to a given area. Google earth does make it possible for us to be in a area where they might be in a given month. This would make it possible to take down a specimen with in a given area. So google earth could give an advantage of predictability if we have an understanding of it's usage. Airdale  has given us a great in site on it's usage. We just need to look and take note how often they frequent a given area and hunt that area.

What lead me to the first photo on this thread was me following a deer trail along a steep mountain side using GE. There were several deer trails going across and was trying to determine which one was the one that I found a track way with 17 inch tracks going towards the creek about where that blog squatch is in the first photo. 

Here's a snapshot using Google Earth looking down onto a couple of deer trails with one of them being the trail where I found a track way on leading towards the creek towards the right side of the photo.

earth_postcard_1543812706.jpg

earth_postcard_1543813481.jpg

Edited by MindSquatch

• gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • 3 weeks later...

Ancient salt collection area in the Western Sierra's created by the Miwoks (the Miwoks were very aware of the Giants in this area). When watching this video today I thought about how maybe the Bigfoot's come to this place to get salt. There are paths that lead to the salt spring that could be used by the Bigfoot's. Never knew about this place as it's not easy to get to and probably doesn't get a whole lot of visitors. There are also very nice camping spots with awesome swimming holes just up river. 

earth_postcard_1546143477.jpg

earth_postcard_1546144294.jpg

earth_postcard_1546144352.jpg

• Thanks 1

^^

Thanks for the information, MindSquatch.

I never heard of the place before.  Fascinating indeed. 

Will have to explore in the future, although it is kind of out of the way.

BFF Patron

Goggle earth has two different resolution images.     One is very different than the other.    Most of their high resolution images are in urban or suburban areas.     The realtors or developers are interested in the higher quality images.    New images are posted only every few years.    At one point where, I live I could see my Chevy Blazer parked there for several years after I had sold it.    The best bet is look for places where the high res images are posted and examine those.   You can find them sometimes nearer the populated areas.    They are taken in swaths as the satellite flies over.   The lower res images are so poor that I doubt that you could tell the difference between a stump and BF.      About 8 years ago I was interested in a frequent sighting report in the Southern part of the county just North of me in WA.     It was along the I-5 corridor so had high res imaging.    I did find something that looked very much like a BF.     It only lasted about 2 years before a newer image replaced it.     So even though you have searched an area it might have been updated or gone to higher resolution.  

28 minutes ago, Explorer said:

^^

Thanks for the information, MindSquatch.

I never heard of the place before.  Fascinating indeed. 

Will have to explore in the future, although it is kind of out of the way.

Your Welcome! Hopefully you can get there. I was going further up the river with Google Earth and saw some great camping spots with deep swimming holes and some nice waterfalls. Be neat to discover more ancient camp sites. The amount of time it must of taken to create those large holes in granite, just amazing.

earth_postcard_1546142259.jpg

earth_postcard_1546141482.jpg

Edited by MindSquatch

13 minutes ago, MindSquatch said:

Your Welcome! Hopefully you can get there. I was going further up the river with Google Earth and saw some great camping spots with deep swimming holes and some nice waterfalls. Be neat to discover more ancient camp sites. The amount of time it must of taken to create those large holes in granite, just amazing.

Yeah, I saw that somebody added a waterhole in the GE map and it looks like a very nice place to backpack and camp over a few days.

If you look north of that area,  you will find Devil's Lake.  I had read about that area before with regard to BF encounters, but never been there either (see link below).

Not sure if these guys find any BF sign there, but they claim the area has stories.

http://www.paranormalghostsociety.org/BearRiverReservoirColeCreek.htm

It is not clear if Salt Springs reservoir is in Amador County or Calaveras County, but a quick search in BFRO database shows only one report from Amador county and 8 from Calaveras county.

Nonetheless, that area does not appear to be a big tourist draw for campers/backpackers, so maybe the number of visitors (and thus encounters) is low.

Edited by Explorer