How To Avoid Being Eaten By A Black Bear

Guest TooRisky

I have just a few things to add. If you're a woman hiker, don't hike in a bear or cougar area while in your menstruation cycle. Even if you practice great hygiene and you're a clean person you're taking a risk. Bears have the most amazing noses. Their ability to smell supersedes almost all other species. If your backpacking in bear country you really have to go overboard with bear caution. I put all my hiking clients through a pretty radical routine while setting camp. A tooth brush, candy wrapper, crumbs, or anything sweet can trigger an un-wanted visitor. Little things that you'd think wouldn't matter do matter. All food stuffs, wrappers, toothpaste and sweet smelling stuff should be hung 200 to 300 yard away from your tent site. Most people take precautions but very few take the time involved to do it right.

Making noise while you hike is always a good idea. Encountering a sow with cubs is far and away the most dangerous event. If you find yourself between mom and kids try to back out slowly and put some distance between yourself and cubs. This has happened to me twice in the last 25 years. During a single bear encounter, keep direct eye contact, place your arms above your head to make yourself look as large as possible and scream at the top of your lungs. 98% of the time this will work. It's the 2% of time that's scary. You can never accurately predict what a wild animal will do.

Here in the PNW we always have to be on the look out for cougars as well. To date, I've encountered seven, three from a vehicle and four in the timber. Same rule apply's. Never run from a cat. They will chase you, and you will not outrun them. If you come across one make yourself look as large as possible and scream at them. When hiking in a rocky area with steep side cliffs ALWAYS protect your neck. Archers will take their bows and place them behind their heads. A thick jacket also works well wrapped around the back side of your neck. Don't play dead with a cat, ever. If one takes you to the ground you need to turn into Rocky Balboa. Fight fight fight. A lot of people have avoided death by fighting with a cat. Sometimes a pop to the nose will send them running.

BFF Patron

Considering I do 95% of my hiking in British Columbia, black bears are the absolute least of my worries. Grizzlies terrify me to death. To be honest, I feel comfortable around black bears. I have come across one several times and never once have I felt threatened or overly scared. They seem rather harmless to me. Not trying to sound naive here, I know they are fully capable of ripping me to shreds, but they are relatively shy animals who are more afraid of us than we are of them.....

However, because of shear numbers I believe the statistics support more black bear attacks (on humans) and rogues than grizzlies. So not to underestimate the rogue, predatory black bear they are out there and one of the previous posters documented that the most dangerous month was August or the fattening period of time prior to winter.

Considering I do 95% of my hiking in British Columbia, black bears are the absolute least of my worries. Grizzlies terrify me to death. To be honest, I feel comfortable around black bears. I have come across one several times and never once have I felt threatened or overly scared. They seem rather harmless to me. Not trying to sound naive here, I know they are fully capable of ripping me to shreds, but they are relatively shy animals who are more afraid of us than we are of them.

Grizzlies on the other hand... if you see one you gotta think fast and come up with an escape plan. Very terrifying beasts.

Sorry, but you are being naive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_bear_attacks_in_North_America

Blacks may seem less aggressive and in most cases that may be true, but as the list above shows, they will hunt you down and eat you, it's a distinct possibility.

I have heard that "playing dead" does not work with black bears -- only with brown and grizzly. If I recall the show correctly (sorry that's where I get most of my outdoor knowledge!), when a black bear decides that its going to go after you its doing so out of hunger; therefore, playing dead would be ideal for them. Your best bet is to fight them off with whatever is at hand.

Not sure if that's true. Interesting though...

I am a new member as of very early this morning. Could someone please direct me where to pose the following question (I combed the topics and posted in "new thermal imager" but haven't seen a response and am guessing its buried -- "can thermal imagers 'see' through the side of a nylon tent?"

Thank you,

Maju

There is no such thing as the golden rule, it's an animal and they are unpredictable.

General guidelines with both species are thus:

1)Be submissive if you startle a bear and trigger it's territorial behavior response. An example of this would be startling a sow with cubs.

2)Be aggressive if you have done nothing to warrant an attack. And example of this would be sleeping in your tent at night.

If the bear is surprised and reacting to your intrusion, that is something entirely different than a planned out stalk and attack by the bear. No matter which species, if it's a planned attack on the bear's part, you best be fighting.

Personally I will always fight, the person who curls up in a ball and lets a bear bite them and claw them is a much braver person than I am. :(

Guest CaptainMorgan

I like UDAP, they have great customer service and I bought my bear spray from them. Their fence, along with most commercial electric fence chargers are only about 5 - 10k volts.

I bought a 58kv ignition coil and a PWM modulator to drive it. I get a spark that is just over an inch long.

The coil and a rocker switch is in a locking metal housing from harbor freight, and I ran the ignition coil wire out of the top.

The PWM is in a plastic recipe box and operates via remote control so I can leave the camp and arm this behind me if needed.

The 18g aluminum wire is quite strong and has less resistance than steel wire, and does not rust.

2 runs of this 18" apart around a perimeter helps ensure that nothing gets under, over or in between. The wire is suspended by bungie so it is springy and ran through some soda straws.

Both runs are wired together at points to ensure full and even distribution.

This is not a high current device and can be ran from your auto battery or additional ones like my 110AH, 71 lbs AGMs which I use for the PC and cameras.

The cost for everything is roughly $100 for some serious electrical dissuasion.

BFF Patron
Ives was grabbed from a family tent in American Fork Canyon, and mauled. State wildlife officials killed the bear, which had entered the campsite the night before.[18] Ives' family have sued the U.S. Forest Service because there was no warning about the bear's presence.[19][20] A judge awarded the family $1.95 million.[21] It was the first known fatal black bear attack in Utah.[20]

From one of the black bear attack accounts from wikipedia is the above which reminds everyone to always ask locally, be they rangers, wildlife officials, outfitters whatever.....What in the way of bear encounters has occurred in this neck of the woods? Always, always a good measure of protection despite the account above included a night-time visit the night before and warnings were not posted. It is your life.....you should be the one asking the questions.

The July 24, 1980 double fatal attack by a Brown (described in the wikipedia chart of attacks) occurred several days before I arrived in the Glacier N.P. vicinity, you had better believe I asked a lot of questions after having read the account in a Jackson Hole, WY newspaper before getting there. It did not, however, prevent me from enjoying the backcountry. Turns out the couple had been illegally camped near/on an island of a river or so it was described when I arrived at the Park.

I have just a few things to add. If you're a woman hiker, don't hike in a bear or cougar area while in your menstruation cycle. Even if you practice great hygiene and you're a clean person you're taking a risk. Bears have the most amazing noses. Their ability to smell supersedes almost all other species. If your backpacking in bear country you really have to go overboard with bear caution. I put all my hiking clients through a pretty radical routine while setting camp. A tooth brush, candy wrapper, crumbs, or anything sweet can trigger an un-wanted visitor. Little things that you'd think wouldn't matter do matter. All food stuffs, wrappers, toothpaste and sweet smelling stuff should be hung 200 to 300 yard away from your tent site. Most people take precautions but very few take the time involved to do it right.

Making noise while you hike is always a good idea. Encountering a sow with cubs is far and away the most dangerous event. If you find yourself between mom and kids try to back out slowly and put some distance between yourself and cubs. This has happened to me twice in the last 25 years. During a single bear encounter, keep direct eye contact, place your arms above your head to make yourself look as large as possible and scream at the top of your lungs. 98% of the time this will work. It's the 2% of time that's scary. You can never accurately predict what a wild animal will do.

Here in the PNW we always have to be on the look out for cougars as well. To date, I've encountered seven, three from a vehicle and four in the timber. Same rule apply's. Never run from a cat. They will chase you, and you will not outrun them. If you come across one make yourself look as large as possible and scream at them. When hiking in a rocky area with steep side cliffs ALWAYS protect your neck. Archers will take their bows and place them behind their heads. A thick jacket also works well wrapped around the back side of your neck. Don't play dead with a cat, ever. If one takes you to the ground you need to turn into Rocky Balboa. Fight fight fight. A lot of people have avoided death by fighting with a cat. Sometimes a pop to the nose will send them running.

A cat is a carnivore and not a omnivore like a bear.........even if you startled the cat (very rare) if it attacks, it's going to utilize what it kills.

And what most people do not know is that cats are generally wimps, they don't like pain, and they will break off an attack if they feel threatened by the whole affair. Bears are much more stubborn and will absorb much more punishment if they are committed to the attack.

As a boy, I remember watching a film a friend of my father took of a Griz and a bull Elk fighting. The Griz did come out on top, because the bull became very tired, but not before that bull had delivered an absolutely horrific can of whoop ass upon that poor bear. He stuck her with his tines, he crunched her up against boulders and trees and trampled her and kicked her. It looked like a snow plow pushing around a round brown fur ball. Eventually she was able to get passed his massive antlers after he become played out and was able to bite his throat and suffocate him. But she was a hurting unit.

A cougar would have never put up with that.

From one of the black bear attack accounts from wikipedia is the above which reminds everyone to always ask locally, be they rangers, wildlife officials, outfitters whatever.....What by way of bear encounters have been occurring in this neck of the woods? Always, always a good measure of protection despite the account above included a night-time visit the night before and warnings were not posted. It is your life.....you should be the one asking the questions.

Sorry.

A person makes the choice to enter the wild and then sues when things go wrong? It's ridiculous.

But it's the government own dang fault, they charge for campsites and have rules, they set themselves up as the ones who are responsible. So when nature happens.......they get this dumb look upon their face. :huh:

I like UDAP, they have great customer service and I bought my bear spray from them. Their fence, along with most commercial electric fence chargers are only about 5 - 10k volts.

I bought a 58kv ignition coil and a PWM modulator to drive it. I get a spark that is just over an inch long.

The coil and a rocker switch is in a locking metal housing from harbor freight, and I ran the ignition coil wire out of the top.

The PWM is in a plastic recipe box and operates via remote control so I can leave the camp and arm this behind me if needed.

The 18g aluminum wire is quite strong and has less resistance than steel wire, and does not rust.

2 runs of this 18" apart around a perimeter helps ensure that nothing gets under, over or in between. The wire is suspended by bungie so it is springy and ran through some soda straws.

Both runs are wired together at points to ensure full and even distribution.

This is not a high current device and can be ran from your auto battery or additional ones like my 110AH, 71 lbs AGMs which I use for the PC and cameras.

The cost for everything is roughly $100 for some serious electrical dissuasion.

Very cool. :)

Just remind me when I leave the tent at 2 am to go pee that that thing is out there....... :o

AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!

buck_wheat.jpeg

Guest CaptainMorgan

HAHAHA thats so funny!

I even printed and laminated some high voltage warning signs that hang on the fence, just so I don't have to bury any forest service rangers.

There's bear bells. Either way, enjoy, an remember, pack out all that you packed in. I don't believe the forests belong to any of us, so we should treat them with care, like somethin' borrowed from a friend.

Pat...

BFF Patron
Very cool. :)

Just remind me when I leave the tent at 2 am to go pee that that thing is out there....... :o

Sleepwalkers need not apply! Unless you do the 110m hurdles with you eyes closed? :P

There's bear bells. Either way, enjoy, an remember, pack out all that you packed in. I don't believe the forests belong to any of us, so we should treat them with care, like somethin' borrowed from a friend.

Pat...

Yes........we call them hippie dinner bells around here. :)

HAHAHA thats so funny!

I even printed and laminated some high voltage warning signs that hang on the fence, just so I don't have to bury any forest service rangers.

LOL!

BFF Patron

But did you consider the universal pictographic shock hazard warnings for "The Big Guy"............. :)

At least give him some distance parameters from which to throw the rocks and launch the ladders and logs....... :P

Oh that's right, squatch owns the night and the force-field sensors anyway. :unsure: