Guest Kerchak

Is It Really Almost Identical To The William Roe Encounter?

Guest Kerchak

I've read the accusations that the Patterson Gimlin encounter is almost identical to the William Roe encounter but is that really the case? While there are of course some very close similarities (which is to be expected if both encounters involved real life female sasquaches) there are far more major differences bewteen the two encounters which (in my opinion) go against the accusation they they were almost carbon copy incidents.

Roe had his sighting in Alberta, Canada. Patterson had his sighting in Northern Califoria, USA.

Roe was climing up a mountain on foot. Patterson was on horseback riding along a flat creek bed.

Roe was by himself. Patterson was with a companion.

Roe was not looking for a sasquatch. Patterson was making a documentary/film and searching for sasquatch and for evidence of sasquatch.

Roe was on a day hike on a day off from work. Patterson was on an extended camping stay in the area.

Roe was hiding in a bushy area. Patterson was out in the open and was not hiding.

Roe thought at first he was looking at a grizzly bear. Patterson didn't think he was looking at any kind of bear.

Roe was able to watch the creature for some time unnoticed and his encounter was quiet and matter of fact. Patterson almost bumped right into his creature and his encounter was very hectical with a lot of activity and movements.

Roe stayed where he was and didn't run after the creature. Only after the creature disappeared from view did he step out into the open to try and spot it again. Patterson ran after the creature almost as soon as he could to try to get close to it and get better footage .

Roe saw the creature eating leaves from a branch. Patterson didn't see the creature eating anything.

Roe heard the creature make a kind of half laugh/half language sound. Not once but twice. Patterson didn't hear his creature make any kind of sound.

Roe said the creature had a kind of "comical amazement" look on it's face. Patterson said the creature gave him a "watch it or else" kind of glance.

About the only real similarities between the two encounters are the sex/look of the creature and the creature getting up, walking away and looking back at the observers. But aren't those things that animals in general do if they don't want to be bothered by humans encroaching near them? It's hardly an amazing coincidence that two different observers reported the same species of animal walking away in a similar manner. The two encounters have many major differences elsewhere.

Carbon copies? I don't think so.

Edited by Kerchak
  • Upvote 1

Crowlogic

I though about this too and the only similarity I see is female Sasquatch.

indiefoot

Obvious parallel :huh:

Guest Kerchak

Ooops just have to correct something I wrote. William Roe's sighting was in British Columbia, not Alberta. It's still nowhere near northern California.

Guest Kerchak

More.

Roe saw his creature's droppings and went over to look at them. Patterson didn't report that his creature had even taken a dump.

Roe said he found a place where the creature had slept at night. Patterson didn't report finding evidence of a sasquatch sleeping area.

Roe made no mention of finding any footprints. Patterson not only found footprints but he also cast some of them.

Roe had a further sighting of his sasquatch a couple of hundred yards away when it came out into view again on a ridge after it had previously vanished from view. Patterson didn't see his creature again after it walked away at the filming spot.

Guest BCCryptid

I think the comparison is around the sketch:

a_Roesasquatch.gif

This is used as an argument against the claim of the Patterson film object being obviously female gives it more credibility.

The Roe case shows that there was a very detailed sketch of a female sasquatch available for study, prior to the PG Film.

Guest nycBig

That is one terrible drawing

Edited by nycBig

Guest Kerchak

I think the comparison is around the sketch:

The comparison was also about the whole encounter not just the look of the creature. Read what Kitakaze was saying elsewhere in other threads. Sorry but I'm too lazy to bother to link to it right now hehe.

Edited by Kerchak

Coastal BC and Northern California could be, and in many systems of categorization, are considered a single ecosystem. The distance is relevant but not critical.

Guest Blackdog

The comparison was also about the whole encounter not just the look of the creature. Read what Kitakaze was saying elsewhere in other threads. Sorry but I'm too lazy to bother to link to it right now hehe.

I just did a search here and didn't find where anyone made the claim that the comparison was about the whole encounter. Maybe you've read it elsewhere but I couldn't find it here.

How about a link?

Guest Kerchak

I just did a search here and didn't find where anyone made the claim that the comparison was about the whole encounter. Maybe you've read it elsewhere but I couldn't find it here.

How about a link?

Well I hope you appreciate my efforts Black Dog. The search wouldn't work. Apparantely you can't do a search on words of 3 letters or less (i.e Roe) so I had to sift through that thread page by page just for you and............BINGO.

Notice Kitakaze claims things like ""He describes it near verbatim as Roe and he places it in a setup just like Roe's story""

How on earth is the Roe encounter 'near verbatim' to the Patterson Gimlin encounter and how is the 'setup' just like it? A man on his own on foot climbing a mountain in BC looking for an old mine and with no thoughts whatsoever of sasquatch is able to quietly hide in the bushes and watch a sasquatch at close quarters for some time and unnoticed?? That's a "near verbatim" set up "just like" the Patterson Gimlin encounter where there are two of them on horseback in an open dry creek bed of northern California and they are deliberately searching for sasquatch (or evidence of it) and then they bump right into it and it's action all stations as one of them runs after it with a camera and then they find and cast footprints???????? :blink::unsure:

Edited by Kerchak

Guest Blackdog

The quote you provided was included in an answer to Crowlogic explaining that Kit did not think that Patterson was trying to exactly recreate the Roe account. I don't quite understand exactly what he was trying to say but it's clear to me by looking at the whole answer in context that he wasn't trying to say what you are implying.

Guest Kerchak

I can see you are going to be hard work Black Dog.

Kitakaze actually wrote in his own words:

""He describes it near verbatim as Roe and he places it in a setup just like Roe's story.""

What more do I have to give you? I gave you the link. I gave you the exact quoted words and it's still not good enough for you. There have been other accusations here (and elsewhere) that the Patterson Gimlin encounter is almost a carbon copy of the Roe encounter but I'm not going to bother sifting through threads to find them just to please you.

Edited by Kerchak

Guest Blackdog

That's fine Kerchack you don't have to do anything to please lil' ol' me. B)

I'll just keep have to keep in mind that you don't care about context and that cherry picking quotes is just your style.

Don't worry, you have plenty of company and I'm sure you'll be just fine. :)

Huntster
BFF Donor

Coastal BC and Northern California could be, and in many systems of categorization, are considered a single ecosystem. The distance is relevant but not critical.

Actually, Roe's encounter was on or around Mica Mountain, which is on the west side of the Rockies, and well east of the Coast Range.