Madison5716

Searching For Bigfoot in Oregon - Take 2

Huntster

It wasn't even close to being cold enough. I was hoping for a foot of snow in the LA basin. I want to hear these people cry as if the world was ending.

• Upvote 1

SWWASAS

It snowed in Tucson when I was there.    Locals saying they had never seen so much snow.  

Huntster

Yeah, my brother was recently hunting near Wickenburg. It snowed there a bit, as well. But snow here in LALA Land would be perfect! Just the ticket to turn Global Warming into the next Ice Age overnight.

SWWASAS

What the alarmists do not understand is that the natural warming trend can reverse in a decade and you can be in a full blown ice age in 10 or 15 years.    Just takes a volcano spewing ash or a large meteor impact someplace. 

• Upvote 2

Madison5716

Date & Time - March 10, 2019

Weather - A balmy 40 degrees in the sunshine, a very pretty day, no wind

What Happened - Honestly, nor much! NorthWind, me and a friend went east up into the woods on the opposite side of the Willamette Valley. We went to three sites. At the first site, we hiked uphill into the woods up from where someone reported those awesome muddy prints on a futon to Cliff Barackman. We had no such luck. We did find two suspicious trees lodged into others, one of which actually split the tree which was pretty neat. Then we went down the highway a bit to the next pullout and crossed the river and hiked up a ways. On that side we found nothing. Not ready to call it a day we went WAY out, following little roads. We found a very pretty little lake/large pond with a great little waterfall and fish ladder. Going further up, we hiked up yet another mountain a good ways. We found a suspicious bend in a big tree, with the end securely embedded in soil and moss. It wasn't new, it had been there a while. We drove around a bit more, but got nada. We didn't find any clear signs of sasquatches, but we found a great lake I'd like to try fishing at this summer! It was nice that our 18" of snow is nearly all melted. It was a very nice day, and I was sorry to have to go home. Oregon is gorgeous. I'm so lucky to live here!

0310191137_HDR.jpg

0310191329_HDR.jpg

0310191443a.jpg

0310191344_HDR.jpg

0310191405.jpg

• Upvote 3

hiflier
BFF Donor

Quick stop-in. Now that the snow is gone, learn about this plant as an early food source- before fish and other plants show up. It likes damp/wet muddy places where one maybe could find patches dug up for the roots and, if fortunate, the foot/paw prints of what dug them up.: https://oregonencyclopedia.org/articles/skunk-cabbage/#.XIW6ZblYbIU

norseman
BFF Donor
41 minutes ago, hiflier said:

Quick stop-in. Now that the snow is gone, learn about this plant as an early food source- before fish and other plants show up. It likes damp/wet muddy places where one maybe could find patches dug up for the roots and, if fortunate, the foot/paw prints of what dug them up.: https://oregonencyclopedia.org/articles/skunk-cabbage/#.XIW6ZblYbIU

Boy it will be a long time comin here.....

And we just got a winter storm advisory.

IMG_1538.JPG

IMG_1539.JPG

Madison5716

Ugh, Norseman! 

Thanks for the link, hiflier, what a great website! I see some good reading ahead of me!  Oregon's an interesting, diverse state.

I kind of want to go to the beach and poke around the coastal range, now, before it's over run with people. That's what I'm liking about this winter squatching - there's very few folks out there in the woods. Oh, and no bugs!!!

Edited by Madison5716

Madison5716

I liked this guy's ideas for ultralight, ultracheap backpacking gear!

Catmandoo
BFF Donor
6 hours ago, hiflier said:

Skunk cabbage is a laxative for critters. For me, the time is about April when the black bears become active. They eat the skunk cabbage to clean themselves out.  Good rubber boots are needed because wet, muddy flat areas and creek beds are the places to inspect.

Catmandoo
BFF Donor

This was taken on April 12th of a year with less snow on the west slopes of the Cascades. The background is standing water and terrain is yucky-poo.  No tracks at this location.

Skunk_Cabbage_1_IMG_0404.jpg

Edited by Catmandoo
add more text

SWWASAS
9 hours ago, Madison5716 said:

Ugh, Norseman! 

Thanks for the link, hiflier, what a great website! I see some good reading ahead of me!  Oregon's an interesting, diverse state.

I kind of want to go to the beach and poke around the coastal range, now, before it's over run with people. That's what I'm liking about this winter squatching - there's very few folks out there in the woods. Oh, and no bugs!!!

Take a look at sighting reports.     The forested area Coastal Range  inland from Tillamook has had a number of sighting reports.   There is a group doing research in that area.   They hold their research area secret but I think sighting reports would give you some idea.      That is too far away for me to get down there very often.   Just expect to find other footers in that area.    I have spent some time in there and it certainly looks promising but have not found any footprints yet.  

Edited by SWWASAS

NathanFooter
6 hours ago, Catmandoo said:

This was taken on April 12th of a year with less snow on the west slopes of the Cascades. The background is standing water and terrain is yucky-poo.  No tracks at this location.

Skunk_Cabbage_1_IMG_0404.jpg

Are you in WA  and if so, what area ?

Catmandoo
BFF Donor

Almost always in Washington. I have been in Oregon.  Western and eastern Washington. Mostly west (wet) side of the Cascades. I operate under the radar.

• Upvote 1