Madison5716

Searching For Bigfoot in Oregon - Take 2

SWWASAS

I am hardly an expert on Pot but unless someone has personal exposure to illegal grow operations, I doubt that they are as numerous as they once were in states where it is legal to grow.    If you do have personal knowledge you must be a grower.   I used to see grow busts all the time in the papers but do not recall one since the legalization in Washington State.  I think it would be hard to get a conviction in a state that has legalized growing by private individuals.    Someone could just claim it is their version of a neighborhood garden and they live in an apartment.      About 5 years ago I blundered into a grow location.   Fortunately it was winter and had been harvested and not guarded.   They had numerous 5 gallons buckets and must have carried water up to the plants.    I took a good look around to make sure no one saw me and slipped away.     I have to agree that getting into a shootout with some growers might get you killed.   Some of the nasty gangs have been associated with pot growing.      Even terrible shots can get lucky sometimes and hit their target.      

MindSquatch
1 hour ago, SWWASAS said:

I am hardly an expert on Pot but unless someone has personal exposure to illegal grow operations, I doubt that they are as numerous as they once were in states where it is legal to grow.    If you do have personal knowledge you must be a grower.   I used to see grow busts all the time in the papers but do not recall one since the legalization in Washington State.  I think it would be hard to get a conviction in a state that has legalized growing by private individuals.    Someone could just claim it is their version of a neighborhood garden and they live in an apartment.      About 5 years ago I blundered into a grow location.   Fortunately it was winter and had been harvested and not guarded.   They had numerous 5 gallons buckets and must have carried water up to the plants.    I took a good look around to make sure no one saw me and slipped away.     I have to agree that getting into a shootout with some growers might get you killed.   Some of the nasty gangs have been associated with pot growing.      Even terrible shots can get lucky sometimes and hit their target.      

You do not need to have personal knowledge, just need to open your eyes and have a little common sense. Helps to know those who work in law enforcement if that eases your suspicion. Watch the documentary Murder Mountain on Netflix, it will educate you on what's still going on in California even though it has become legal. You do realize that it has to be federally legalize, not just a few states. 

Huntster
BFF Donor
1 hour ago, SWWASAS said:

..........I have to agree that getting into a shootout with some growers might get you killed..........

Getting into a shootout with anyone should result in somebody getting killed, and I intend for it to be the other guy.

• Upvote 2

Madison5716

Hey NorthWind, have fun out in our woods! Sounds like you're right in my neighborhood (Lane County). Pretty much any area you go to around here has had sightings and stories. Have fun and be safe!

May we please table the pot grower discussion? I personally know there are scary things and people out there, and because I love the outdoors, I understand that when you leave your house, you are accepting risk. Regardless of what you enjoy - bigfooting, mushroom hunting, geocaching, hiking, cross country skiing - everything has risks. Lets please get back to the search for hairy hominids instead of the avoidance of horrible humans, please. Thank you!

Edited by Madison5716
  • Upvote 1

Madison5716

My camcorder is a Panasonic HC-V180 and I have no idea yet how to use it. The battery doesn't seem to keep a charge. Nevertheless, one day soon, I will have my teenager figure it out and then teach me :)

Edited by Madison5716

gigantor

Madison,

I just PMed BigTreeWalker about these...

madison2.jpg

BigTreeWalker

Yes very interesting. Doesn't look like anything a hunter would do since the lower legs are still attached. But I suppose they could have been boned out and left there. The thing I find really interesting about it is that all four legs are stacked right there together. I also see that some of the bones are broken. Can't tell if the hide was cut or torn. That would be a determining factor as to what did it.

The rib cage that was shown looks like something a cougar would leave since the ribs were still attached to the vertebrae. 

The thing about those legs is that an animal such as a bear, cougar or coyote aren't going to leave things in a pile while eating. They will be scattered around. I also see some possible marks on the edge of the scapula that might give some hint as to what did it. 

How close to an access road was this? 

Catmandoo
BFF Donor
On 1/23/2019 at 10:21 PM, Madison5716 said:

My camcorder is a Panasonic HC-V180 and I have no idea yet how to use it. The battery doesn't seem to keep a charge. Nevertheless, one day soon, I will have my teenager figure it out and then teach me :)

Looks like a nice camcorder. They always provide the smallest battery and the rule of thumb is 'the battery goes dead at the wrong time'. There are some work arounds with risk. Aftermarket batteries are available that are cheaper than factory units. They may not be able to 'communicate' with the camera in the way of 'power remaining', recording time available.   

Watson brand has a 1 year warranty.  Wasabi batteries claim to have Japanese cells and offer a 3 year warranty. Wasabi is available from Blue Nook.  I would not buy aftermarket batteries off of ebay.  Both Watson and Wasabi have charger kits that have AC plug adapter for the charger and a 12VDC car charger plug.

Consider an LCD hood for about $15.  You won't be able to see the LCD screen in daylight. Can you use your smartphone for camera control or just downloading images? Using your smartphone with the cameras Wi-Fi consumes 2 batteries. If you have camera control, then you will not touch the camera when it is solidly supported and avoid an unsteady image. And you will have a power bank plugged into your phone.

Tripod?

Batteries are a trap. I have a plethora of 'wall warts' for battery charging.

Madison5716

Here's a link to my YouTube channel, please subscribe! I'm off just starting out.

hopefully admin can help me delete my video, it's too big to post like that they say. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGcgtibIWESmOAtVZM-K88A/videos?app=desktop

it's Lane County Bigfooters in case the link goes wonky!

Ugh, I such at tech but I'll look into the battery stuff. Not much use having a nice camera if I can't use it, and I don't need a doorstop.

I may be going out again in that area and I can get more pix of that bone pile. Interesting observations, thanks for looking!

Madison5716

Tell me what a scapula is and I'll look lol. I think we're going up Saturday.

Edited by Madison5716

MichaelX
BFF Donor
36 minutes ago, Madison5716 said:

Tell me what a scapula is and I'll look lol. I think we're going up Saturday.

A scapula is commonly referred to as a shoulder blade, connecting the humerus bone of the arm to the collarbone. In your picture, the scapula is the flat triangular bone (kind of resembles a shark's dorsal fin) at the bottom left of the frame.

• Upvote 1

gigantor
7 hours ago, Madison5716 said:

hopefully admin can help me delete my video, it's too big to post like that they say. 

Madison5716

Eh, don't worry. I'm not gonna off some stranger in the woods because someone on the internet said it was okay ;)

When & Where - 2/2/19, somewhere in the Cascade foothills, between 8 and 11am.

Weather & Misc- beautiful 40 degrees, slight fog, no wind, spectacular day.

What happened - Myself and two friends went up a dirt road a mile or so off a highway in the woods, then we walked another mile or two up a game trail up a mountain. We found a couple of very old twists, a possible small stick stack, bent trees and a lot of breaks. We found a huge boulder, with a dry overhang, and it looked like something had been sleeping there - there were old dry ferns, and the nearest ferns were about 6 feet away.

We checked out the woody tree stump, but it looks like nothing interesting up close. We checked out the Elk kill, which stank, and took pix.

Just a really nice day in the woods with friends! It was very quiet, peaceful and uneventful.

Then we went to a nearby lake, but we didn't find anything but lots of mud ;)

0202190934.jpg

0202190915b.jpg

0202190852.jpg

0202190913.jpg

0202190840.jpg

0202190840a.jpg

0202190832.jpg

0202190832a.jpg

• Upvote 3

Madison5716

Someone elsewhere said the twists may be vines that grew that way instead of twisted branches/small trees. I can't tell. They were very old, regardless. 

in the meantime, it has finally showed here in Oregon. First in 3 or 4 years! Finally feels like winter. 

IF  I have the gas money, I may go to one of the local lakes and look around in the snow. We'll see. 

NorthWind

Niether were vines. They were both conifers, likely Douglas Fir trees. 

Enjoy the snow! Just remember, it's much thicker up in the research areas.