Madison5716

Searching For Bigfoot in Oregon - Take 2

Madison5716

Well, I think we're out of business for a few weeks - i have 12" is snow at my place and it's still falling. Winter finally arrived with a vengeance! Time to watch Bigfoot videos online, listen to some podcasts, watch movies, read and bake good things! 

if anyone wants a nice collection of videos to watch, I've compiled a great list in my "Research Bigfoot" tab at my YouTube channel, Land County Bigfooters. It's the best stuff I've found online - so far! Cheers!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGcgtibIWESmOAtVZM-K88A

Subscribe if you want to! Thanks!  

IMG_20190225_104933.jpg

Edited by Madison5716

NorthWind
15 hours ago, gigantor said:

As it should be.  We are grateful Madison and you come here and share your field work with the BFF.  Don't worry about the peanut gallery...  :)

Thanks, Gigantor. I appreciate it.

Huntster
BFF Donor
13 hours ago, Madison5716 said:

........I am pleased that my feet finally feel good enough that I can be back out in the woods. I hope others can read, enjoy, consider and learn from what we are or are not doing........

I subscribed to your YouTube videos. At this point in my life, my only way to enjoy the great outdoors isvto watch videos like yours. 

I'm hoping to see a sasquatch jump out while you vudeo your adventures.

Madison5716

Me, too, Hunster! LOL, then you'd also see the change of drawers i keep in the back of my truck!

Madison5716

Got 14" of snow by Monday, and 3" so far tonight ( Tues-Wed 1am). Yep, no bigfooting for a while unless it's close by town. There ARE two of three places ridiculously close, where I've had possible things happen, that I might check out even so. That was all summer activity, though; don't know if there's any chance of winter action. It's just not safe on the roads right now. Tomorrow will be my third snow day - no work and no school for my kid. It's supposed to snow until noon tomorrow, and then again Friday. So far I haven't lost power, so that's good! Oregon has officially joined the rest of the country in getting slammed with bad weather this winter.

I wonder where the bigfoots go when it snows like this? Makes me wonder about caves, mines and lava tubes. I guess I won't find out any time soon! 

• Upvote 1

MIB
5 hours ago, Madison5716 said:

I wonder where the bigfoots go when it snows like this?

I don't think they go anywhere.   By now, the deer and elk (aka "bigfoot cheeseburgers" :)) are already in the lowest elevations.    The bigfoots will be nearby.    They survive winter in the foothills of the Rockies, in the Bitterroots, Alaska / Canada, east slope of the Cascades and just follow the deer and elk herds.    There's simply nothing western Oregon has to offer that's comparably challenging.    To be what they are, they're biologically adapted to ice age conditions, and they survived that.   This, while miserable to us, is likely akin to a day at the beach for them.   

It is a good time to think about opposites, about adaptations to avoid competition.  Like Darwin's finches.    We're adapted to shed heat, to be able to run incredibly long distances on open plains in summer sun without overheating.    We're in the top 5 species on earth for such adaptation.   So what's our opposite?   Something that walks on mountains, in the cold,  in the dark, without freezing.   So it's also a good time to consider the trap of anthropomorphising ... while there are similarities, they're not us, and if we don't keep that in mind, we make mistakes in our expectations.

... or so I think.  :)    Best-est guesses.  

MIB   

• Upvote 4

Madison5716

What you said makes a great deal of sense. Go where the food goes.

Go where people DON'T go - which would be outside in winter - far fewer folks outside this time of year compared to summer. Maybe thats why I've been having so much success since November.

Edited by Madison5716

Madison5716

BTW, when I have to correct my posts for spelling errors (or when I do t catch them), this is probably why...

IMG_20190227_083427.jpg

If I'm typing weird, he's probably sitting with me!

Edited by Madison5716
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

JKH

MIB is probably right, but I did remember a show the Outlaws did awhile ago about the general subject. The BFs do need and use shelter such as human structures, caves, etc. They talked about them using cedar trees in snow events to hole up for a short time, and eating the bark and berries. There was a funny story about a hunter escaping a downpour into an old structure and surprising a family of three. Yikes!

BigTreeWalker

I keep my eyes open while in the woods for large stumps and fallen or left logs from logging operations. Many have hidey holes big enough for a human to get in out of the weather. Some are even big enough for BF. From the sign I've seen in many of these 'shelters' I suspect that cougars and bobcats also frequent them. I've sat in some myself to wait out a downpour occasionally. 

• Upvote 1

Madison5716

All this snow is melting rapidly, maybe I'll get out this weekend after all. I've discovered, however, that my "waterproof" boots are not. I'm not fond of the expensive waterproof socks i just bought, so I'm using the old plastic bag trick - a thick wool sock, then a produce plastic grocery bag, then a light sock. Works like a charm! This might be a good time to go; the bigfoots might be hungry for the gift basket i will leave. (But the mountain lions might, too). We'll see, it's supposed to snow Friday again. I may also have to work this weekend to get payroll done. Who knows? I have cabin fever now.

JKH, what are "the Outlaws"? Sounds interesting.

I look at stumps, BigTreeWalker, especially when I'm out driving in the woods to and from research sites, because there's so many stories of them being in plain sight doing a great stump impression. I do live in an area with lots of logging up in the wilds. Imho, they get upset with logging operations.

Edited by Madison5716

Catmandoo
BFF Donor

^^^^^ 16" tall rubber boots. No fashion or brand loyalty involved. Dry happy feet. Plus you can wander into shallow water looking for all kinds of animal signs.  Put a notch in the heel so when you meander and double back. you will know that they are your tracks. The tread pattern on 'non' fashion boots should be unique enough.  I have seen heel impressions that looked like moose tracks.

• Upvote 1

JKH
2 hours ago, Madison5716 said:

JKH, what are "the Outlaws"? Sounds interesting.

Here's the show I mentioned, info starts about 20 minutes in after some bs'ing around. Good guys, Coonbo used to post here.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=My6NqFdYctc

Can relate to the frustration with the snow events, but all the snow dumps in the NW may help us have a generally better fire season this year.

Madison5716

Thanks Cat and JKH!

It's 27 degrees, and all the snow that melted yesterday is solid ice. Snow Day #4! I walked my dog at dawn, and it was beautiful. He hates rain, but he's loving the snow! I love the silence when the city shuts down.

0228190734c_HDR.jpg

0228190734b_HDR.jpg

0227191201.jpg

Edited by Madison5716

MIB

Sort of a response / comment for Madison, but maybe for others as well.

Thinking about where bigfoots go in winter .. I've often thought that we should look for low elevation stream canyons without human traffic.     No roads, preferably no trails.   We should look at the lower reaches, not just the headwaters ... we're after places that mostly remain below snow level that support migratory / spawning fish runs.    Ironically, that's a pretty decent description of the Olympic Peninsula "nests" location even though I didn't know about that back then.    The coast range is the likely target.   Cascades are too high, too snowy in winter.    In particular, I've wondered about the Siuslaw River area, Clay Creek, etc.   Also a bit south to the Smith .. trib of the Umpqua.    

I don't have spots like that near me.   Town is in the bottom of the bowl.   We're just over 2,000 feet.   We have a lot of people hiking around near town.   If we get away from them, we're up farther into the snow than the deer will go in winter.    Such spots are about a 3 hour round trip, or longer, drive, so I haven't put out trail cameras in them.

MIB

• Upvote 2