Madison5716

Searching For Bigfoot in Oregon - Take 2

gotafeeling
4 minutes ago, NatFoot said:

Kids playing in water this late in the year at that elevation?

Can't imagine having mine here in the Rockies in an Alpine lake even in the past month and a half, call it two months.

NatFoot - the lake is at about 600’, and we’ve had a mild fall until recently. I’m just suggesting it may have been kids in the water awhile ago.

NatFoot

Got it. Obviously not familiar with the area. I tend to think of the PNW like the Rockies but it is much more mild.

It's the lifetime full of being from the east that clouds my knowledge!

Madison5716

It may be, gotafeeling. But it would be the children of irresponsible people, uber-hippies or meth heads to let them out with all that clay mud, fish books and broken beer bottles, lol! It IS Oregon, so it's possible. But they must be doing it fairly regularly, because I went up today (Dec. 1) and found more. Well, if nothing else, I'm getting practice taking photos. It's hard taking good photos! Things that look great in the ground look boring in pix. Shadows are difficult, too; tough to make the whole thing visible.

Date & Time - Sunday, December 1, 2018

Location - Cottage Grove Lake, OR

Weather - 45-50 degrees, sunny, no wind, beautiful

What happened - My son and I met a true who lives in London, 4 miles of so down the road. She and my son went rock hounding while I puttered around looking for prints. It was much drier today, but still muddy. I crossed the creek and kept walking, and found a faint line of prints but I couldn't tell much about them. I found two parallel lines of small tracks for about 20 feet that looked interesting in person and like muddy holes in my pictures, ha! We wandered for about 2 hours. My friend had evening plans, but before she left, we drove up the highway and she showed me a small turn off next to a creek where she sometimes has luck finding geodes. Down at the creek bottom was a full deer skeleton. When I went over a small rise to try to find a better way down than a faint trip that led thru blackberry brambles, I nearly walked into a gut pile wrapped in canvas and 8 sawn off elk legs. Weird stuff happens to me in the woods, lol!

1202181441b.jpg

1202181441c.jpg

Edited by Madison5716
Random words?
  • Upvote 1

David NC

^^ that print looks more promising. The track does not have the "moccasin"  shape that people that heave worn shoes all their life have. 

If you see the moccasin shape and you can bet it is a human print.

Glade to see you started carrying a ruler, great idea if you are looking for prints.

This pic will give you a comparison. The foot on the left has never worn shoes. The foot on the right has worn shoes. This can help eliminate some tracks because their are almost no people now that have never worn shoes.

1389755267_(Left)_(B)_Adult_foot_that_has_never_worn_shoes_(Right)_(A)_Foot_of_a_boy_who_has_worn_shoes_for_just_a_few_weeks._Plaster_casts.jpg.b3f5aaac26a3b4fab52c528c27228d8d.jpg

You also have to take into account of the toed shoes. The toed shoes as far as I know they have traction designs on the bottom that will show up in a track that is not washed out.

81gXUSpnwrL._UX395_.jpg.009274d5dc163b696579ecd05822e70b.jpg

• Upvote 1

Catmandoo
On 12/2/2018 at 11:46 PM, Madison5716 said:

Down at the creek bottom was a full deer skeleton.

Look at any broken bones when you find an ungulate skeleton/bones.  You are on the look out for bones that were snapped in 2 or 3 pieces to extract marrow. You are looking for edge tool marks ( human made ) near the breaks. Tool marks indicate human activity. No tool marks gets interesting. The bones were snapped by brute force or broken by a fall. Conclusions are difficult.

You don't like low contrast images. Do you use a camera or your phone?

Madison5716

I'm on my phone and it's a POS.  If I get $ for Christmas, I'll be looking for a video camera!

I can't get get down to see those bones, the slope is covered in blackberry brambles. 

I went out again Wednesday, though!

Date and time:  December 19, 2018 at 11am until 2pm or so.

Weather: it's been a very mild winter - it was 50°. Insane. Was down to a long sleeve Smartwool shirt!

Locations: both sides of Cottage Grove Lake, Oregon

What happened: Took my dog for another exploratory walk in the same area. Found more small prnts, about 7" long. Who knows? Since I'm getting a bit frustrated with finding these nice and weird prints that I can't definitively identify, I took pix and went to explore the other side of the lake.

The other side is basically unimproved, primitive campgrounds and boat ramp areas surrounding the lake, and a road, and a line of houses on two acre lots on the opposite side of the road, one or two properties deep, then hundreds of miles of wilderness behind them. To get to the beach, you have to park outside the closed gates and walk in. I usually don't do it, it's creepy and there is mountain lion potential, but the first campground had two men from the Army Corps of Engineers doing repairs or maintenance on the paths by the shelters and bathrooms, so I wasn't completely alone.

So, my dog and I walked in, maybe 50 yards, to the beach. It's very gravelly, clay sand. The beach is steep because it's actually a reservoir that they drain each winter before the spring rains. It can be difficult walking, my dog did not enjoy it and I was pulling him and verbally encouraging him a lot. We found a half dozen nice rock stacks on the huge, exposed tree stumps. Very cool. We picked our way down the beach, and I think I found a print (see below). Walking further, we rounded the corner into the next bay and something loudly YIPPED at us. It severely creeped me out so I held the bear spray in hand and we retreated, returning eventually to my truck and we went back to town. The yip was very loud and I couldn't think of any animals that you besides coyote and bigfoots that might sound like that, neither of which I wanted to meet struggling through muddy sand dragging my tired dog. FWIW the two army dudes were still busy working shoveling gravel when we returned to my truck. I'm confident it wasn't them. I didn't see anyt hing.

If it was bigfoots, why make any noise? I didn't see them, so why would they give away their general location? Or course, I did leave immediately, so if that's what they wanted, they got it! I want to go back with a few more folks and check it out more!

Madison5716

I'm on my phone and it's a POS.  If I get $ for Christmas, I'll be looking for a video camera!

I can't get get down to see those bones, the slope is covered in blackberry brambles. 

I went out again Wednesday, though!

Date and time:  December 19, 2018 at 11am until 2pm or so.

Weather: it's been a very mild winter - it was 50°. Insane. Was down to a long sleeve Smartwool shirt!

Locations: both sides of Cottage Grove Lake, Oregon

What happened: Took my dog for another exploratory walk in the same area. Found more small prnts, about 7" long. Who knows? Since I'm getting a bit frustrated with finding these nice and weird prints that I can't definitively identify, I took pix and went to explore the other side of the lake.

The other side is basically unimproved, primitive campgrounds and boat ramp areas surrounding the lake, and a road, and a line of houses on two acre lots on the opposite side of the road, one or two properties deep, then hundreds of miles of wilderness behind them. To get to the beach, you have to park outside the closed gates and walk in. I usually don't do it, it's creepy and there is mountain lion potential, but the first campground had two men from the Army Corps of Engineers doing repairs or maintenance on the paths by the shelters and bathrooms, so I wasn't completely alone.

So, my dog and I walked in, maybe 50 yards, to the beach. It's very gravelly, clay sand. The beach is steep because it's actually a reservoir that they drain each winter before the spring rains. It can be difficult walking, my dog did not enjoy it and I was pulling him and verbally encouraging him a lot. We found a half dozen nice rock stacks on the huge, exposed tree stumps. Very cool. We picked our way down the beach, and I think I found a print (see below). Walking further, we rounded the corner into the next bay and something loudly YIPPED at us. It severely creeped me out so I held the bear spray in hand and we retreated, returning eventually to my truck and we went back to town. The yip was very loud and I couldn't think of any animals that you besides coyote and bigfoots that might sound like that, neither of which I wanted to meet struggling through muddy sand dragging my tired dog. FWIW the two army dudes were still busy working shoveling gravel when we returned to my truck. I'm confident it wasn't them. I didn't see anyt hing.

If it was bigfoots, why make any noise? I didn't see them, so why would they give away their general location? Or course, I did leave immediately, so if that's what they wanted, they got it! I want to go back with a few more folks and check it out more!

1219181334.jpg

Madison5716

Bear with me. I am working with a cheap WalMart phone, a 3-year old Kindle and sometimes my kids two year old refurbished ipad. Grrr...

1219181330a.jpg

1219181327a.jpg

Since I didn't SEE any bf, I can't say with certainty that any of these th I vs are related, but it's possible, and either way it was an interesting day!

Catmandoo

Was there any wind?

How is your dogs nose? Your dog might be an important research partner.

How did your dog react to the "yip"? 

People stack rocks anywhere.

Edited by Catmandoo
adding text

Madison5716

No wind.

My doggo is an old man, but his nose gets him into trouble sticking it places it shouldn't be!

He didn't want to walk along the beach period, I was applying steady pressure on the leash. I though he just didn't like the footing and climbing over those roots but maybe there was more to it. When I look at that stump photo there, it was right before the noise, and he's looking right in the direction the noise came from!  He was happy that we were leaving. Huh.

And yeah, I know re: the rocks. It's just a quiet place in winter.

Here's some stuff from the original side of the lake.

1219181214e.jpg

1219181217b.jpg

1219181217c.jpg

1219181236d.jpg

1219181216a.jpg

Madison5716

It was just a pretty day Wednesday. I love being outside!

1219181326.jpg

1219181328b.jpg

1219181333b.jpg

1219181325b.jpg

Madison5716

David NC, what do you think of this print?

1202181407d.jpg

David NC

Looks like it has been filled with water recently. It is not moccasin shape and I have seen the bumpouts on the side of the foot in other pictures of casts and tracks. Has anyone reported seeing anything there in the 4-5 ft  range. Looks like a juvenile print.

Wonder if the adults are keeping an eye on them from the closest brush tree line? Brush/ treeline would be a good spot to look for bigger tracks or other sign.

Madison5716

This was leading i to where I found all the other onez. The mud and grass makes it harder to see, I think. It's all right near where the London Trackway was found. The prints were 6-7" , 9" , 10" and possibly 12" . 

Can anyone soon and enhance one of my photos for me? I think I found something. I can see it on my phone, but my kindle can't zoom. I'm off to a movie now, I'll check back tomorrow?

Madison5716

Date & time: December 29, 2018 from 1-4pm

Weather: Slightly overcast, 50 degrees then cooler (fairly nice)

What happened: Returned to the lake. I showed my son and two friends where I had found those prints. We wandered down the beach, didn't find anything new. Looks like they are starting to degrade a bit with the winter-ish weather and rains. It was uneventful.  Except for when I tried showing off my photo, wiped some fingerprints off the screen and DELETED the photo. I wanted to fry.

We visited the other side of the lake and took comparison photos. I did email the photo to myself and my friend, so it's not gone forever. We searched all back in the area, but the ground is rock solid under the big trees. We didn't find anything. If I can post the two photos side by side, I will. Meanwhile, my son and friend found a long track line that forced a deep creek with one step, and the track maker chose the worst possible place to do so, like it was barely an impediment to its journey. The ditch/creek was approximately 6 feet wide at the bottom and 6 feet deep. It just stepped off and kept going. I was on the fence until this, and I'm inclined to believe it could have been my hairy friend from last week. 

1229181524.jpg

That's my friend back there helping me do comparison photos but I don't think we did it very well. Dang!

That's my friend back there helping me do comparison photos but I don't think we did it very well. Dang!

1229181446a.jpg

1229181446c.jpg

1229181455.jpg

1229181446b.jpg