Madison5716

Searching For Bigfoot in Oregon - Take 2

Incorrigible1
3 hours ago, Madison5716 said:

I'm buying a new-to-me truck tomorrow from a friend. 4wd, 4-door Ford Explorer that will be big enough to sleep in while camping. I can't wait to get back into the woods. Hooray!

Good for you! Hope you continue posting photos of the awesome country you go to, and that your investigations are fruitful.

I follow your adventures vicariously!

• Upvote 2

hiflier
Posted (edited)

EXCELLENT!. Kiwakwe has really set up his vehicle nicely. You should try to connect with him. He did swap out the engine for a diesel and has a diesel heater set up but even minus that he's done a fine job outfitting it for the field.

Edited by hiflier
  • Upvote 1

wiiawiwb
7 hours ago, Madison5716 said:

I'm buying a new-to-me truck tomorrow from a friend. 4wd, 4-door Ford Explorer that will be big enough to sleep in while camping. I can't wait to get back into the woods. Hooray!

Congratulations!  I'd consider an SUV tent that will allow you to interact with things in the back of your SUV while in the tent.

• Upvote 1

Madison5716
On 7/20/2019 at 7:37 PM, wiiawiwb said:

Congratulations!  I'd consider an SUV tent that will allow you to interact with things in the back of your SUV while in the tent.

Lol, I'd sleep in the truck to put some distance between us! My recorder can run all night easily enough. Plus you can see through windows - in or out!

Right now she needs some minor repairs and an oil change/exam before i head out into the woods. Plus I'm broke now, and the gas tank is much bigger!

But ... soon. Very soon.

20190721_104722.jpg

• Upvote 3

BC witness

That looks like a good solid backroads ride, I hope it treats you well, and I'm glad you're mobile again. I'm waiting for more of your always interesting trip reports.

• Upvote 1

Catmandoo

How many gallons per mile?

Looks to have good ground clearance.

You may want to think about having 2 spare tires. You will be tempted to get into difficult terrain.

What name have you given to the vehicle?

NorthWind

I'd name her, "Patty".  

• Upvote 1

Huntster
7 hours ago, Catmandoo said:

How many gallons per mile?.........

I've got a 2001 Ford Expedition. I picked it up a couple of years ago. It only had 40K miles on it. It has the 5.4 V-8 with a 30 gallon tank. The best mileage I've gotten has been 14 mpg, and the worst was 12 mpg. She steadily averages 13. Considering the fact that my two previous V-6 minivans averaged @ 17 mpg, the Expeditions 8100 lb towing capacity (important to me) makes the increased fuel usage less painful.

I like the Explorers. If I found a smoking deal on one, I'd get it just because. Not too big/heavy, not too small. It would be a great platform to build a dual sport SUV (road/trail) out of. But I think you'd be lucky to see 16 mpg from one. 

I gave up on the dual sport rig idea (licensed highway vehicle used on trails) here in Alaska. Alaska trails kill vehicles quite effectively. I trailer my Argo to the trailhead now, and if the government says I can't use my Argo there, I don't want to be there, anyway.

Kiwakwe

Well that'll do! Good luck with your new ride, hope it serves you well out there in the field.

Madison5716

Thank you all for the well wishes. I've spent some time moving gear from truck to truck; there's so much room in the back!. Not sure if I'll take her out this weekend or not (it's the County Fair weekend). I have some friends that want to go squatching, but it's difficult to get people into it because the back two doors don't work, lol! One of a half dozen small things that need fixing. Stay tuned!

hiflier

Check the fuses or the "child lock" feature?

19 hours ago, Madison5716 said:

Not sure if I'll take her out this weekend or not

You mean "Patty"? ;) 

Catmandoo
3 hours ago, hiflier said:

Check the fuses or the "child lock" feature?

You mean "Patty"? ;) 

You have been waiting for this:   "Patty Wagon".

Many women name their vehicles.

I named my vehicle. It's called "car"  ( unisex, no gender problems ).

• Haha 1

hiflier

Me too,: "Truck". At my age gotta name it something I less likely to forget ;) 

JohninNV
On 7/20/2019 at 2:47 PM, Madison5716 said:

Congrats on the new to you vehicle! I have spent many wonderful nights camping in the back of various trucks and SUVs. Love your pics and adventures. 

Madison5716
Posted (edited)

First - the direction of the nasty smell on the road at the Meadow 

Second - the overgrown logging road we walked down

Third - the upper part of the creek we could hear down in the canyon/valley floor (very pretty, nice & cool and zero prints, bummer).

Fourth- my rabbit that morning checking out my gear lol, added just because he's so dang cute.

20190728_152059.jpg

20190728_134040.jpg

20190728_141947.jpg

20190728_091426.jpg

Edited by Madison5716