Madison5716

Searching For Bigfoot in Oregon - Take 2

hiflier
8 hours ago, Madison5716 said:

Fourth- my rabbit that morning checking out my gear lol, added just because he's so dang cute.

20190728_091426.jpg

Heh, bug-eyed with it's ears back. Not taking any chances is it.......much.

SWWASAS

My thought related to charging a suspected BF position is what I learned trying to get one to break cover.   My approach was slow because of the down trees between me and the suspected BF and the response was still hostile.  .   A worst case scenario would be charging a female BF with child who is up against an embankment and has no way to withdraw.     A bear with cub would be the same situation.     Since we cannot tell from just hearing movement what it is,  charging that location is very dangerous.    You might want to reconsider your methodology.   It does anyone no good if the last thing you see is the BF that kills you. 

Madison5716

We were at the vehicles parked on the road near the Meadow hanging out, talking and just having a snack before going home, probably for an hour or so.  The nasty smell was a momentary thing - gone in 5 seconds. It didn't linger in the slight breeze, and it only happened that one time. It didn't seem like there was anything dead nearby. When we went back there, there was nothing dead there that we could see. Just this one time, fleeting smell. It was suspicious. One time we were there a few months ago, hanging out preparing to go home, I took a bunch of photos, and I got 2 anomalies aka blobsquatches, which could have been creatures observing us. I always hope that is the case.

I like hiking and exploring to find tree leans, twists, structures and prints, but we are never going to surprise a Bigfoot unawares. Just not realistic for slow, old and noisy us. Our best chance is while they are observing us after we've hiked all around, whooped and knocked and made a nuisance of ourselves. 

As far as going into the woods after this whatever-it-was, it had way more escape routes than I did! I could kinda easily go around the pond or back to the vehicles. My back was to the pond, about 2 feet behind me. I was definitely in the most tactically compromised position. It had the high ground, so to speak. I figured if NorthWind came from the road on my left, and I walked straight in, it would have to run either straight away from its into dense forest, or break for the Meadow and run past NorthWind's friend, which is what it did, and he got a sighting as it entered the woods at the far end of the Meadow. It had several escape routes possible. It wasn't trapped in any way (like me, the most unimposing member of our group and the only female). I was the least threatening for it to approach. If you watch our videos, I generally don't like being left alone in the woods. I know I'm old and slow, lol! 

• Like 1

wiiawiwb

I had that nasty smell on a recent hike with a friend. It is the only time I have ever encountered it.  Like you Madison, the smell didn't last and was contained to a very small area, in this case 8' wide.

We checked high and low for a dead carcass. Nothing.  I even thought t might have been a skunk that had just sprayed a predator. I can't rule that out but doubt it was the case.

Catmandoo
Posted (edited)

"smell checker":  If the hair on the back of your neck stands up straight...........be careful.  I call that 'genetic memory'.  An involuntary response that goes way back in human history/evolution.  The most potent episode, from 37' away, burned my sinuses.

Your mileage will vary. Our sense of smell varies with age and gender.   Women seem to have very sensitive noses.

Edited by Catmandoo
more text

SWWASAS
Posted (edited)

I have never smelled that smell in the field in spite of being yards from a BF.     However one  BF I was within yards of,   was likely female because it was carrying a juvenile.    That suggests to me that only mature male BF can put out the stink.    I believe than Meldrum mentions one of the great apes has similar stink glands.    Once I was driving down a forest road and two deer tore across the road right in front of me.  I had to emergency brake to avoid hitting them.   They crossed the road and one stopped momentarily and looked back from the direction it had come from.   It ignored me.   My window was open and I got a sudden rush of horrific smell.   I got out and looked into the woods but could not see anything.      Makes me wonder if the apparent suicidal behavior of deer is because they expect a predator to not run in front of a car and they can get away..  

Hair standing on the back of the neck in my experience is a really good indicator.   Catmandoo is onto something.    We evolved with certain senses that have been dulled by living in civilization.   The standing neck hair is one that still gets our attention.  

Edited by SWWASAS

JKH

I've told this before, but years ago a guy I knew was living in a camper out where I'm sure some boogers roam. I asked him if he'd heard anything strange and he looked at me funny, then told me he was outside one night when he noticed hair standing up on his arms, then heard a low growl. Interesting.

Stay safe, Maddy. You might end up getting followed home, it's happened to some.  :blob:

• Upvote 1

Madison5716
Posted (edited)

Date & Time: July 28, 2019

Location: Oregon Cascades,  the Meadow and 10 miles around it, generally speaking 

Weather: Hot, between 80 and 90°F

What Happened:

NorthWind, his friend K. and I checked out the ridge where they got vocalizations last weekend.  We vocalized and got nothing.  We also couldn't find the prints they found, which was disappointing because i wanted to cast them. I enjoy casting. 

We left there, and drove down and across the valley.  NorthWind thought there might be caves at the bottom of the valley ravine and we wanted to check it out. We drove my truck and K.'s car,  but had eventually to leave his car and continue in my truck as the road turned into a long car-wide strip of meadow.  Finally we had to ditch my truck also when we came to landslides,  and we hiked the last mile in. Turns out that the rocks were too crumbly to climb down onto, as it was the gravelly, rocky end of a very old logging road.  So, we could not get to the caves, though we could see that it would be cooler down there than where we were, and we could hear running water. If they live there, they chose a tactically smart home!

We gave up and hiked back out to the vehicles. From there, we drove out to the Meadow to leave something at the gifting place. While we were sitting around resting, the guys smelled a fleeting bad odor. Knowing that bigfoots are reputed to stink, we were on alert. However when nothing happened after a half hour, K. went to leave a gift. I followed him half way, and NorthWind was back packing stuff into the vehicles.

As i was watching K. disappear into the woods at the far end of the pond, I became aware of small, subtle crackling sounds off into the woods on my left. Sounded like walking, like foot steps. I was probably 10 feet from the forest, with heavy bushes and trees, and I couldn't see anything. I wondered if i was imagining it. Eventually i decided that it really was something, and began filming the pond and pointing the recorder end towards the woods trying to catch audio. I called NorthWind over and eventually he could hear sounds, too. We made plans - NorthWind would return to the road and walk in, I would go straight, and K. would walk in from his end. 

We followed this plan and appeared to have flushed something out, though I didn't see it (or hear it, i was making too much noise trying to get through brambles without being impaled on blackberry thorns). K. got to the Meadow first, and saw something dark duck into the woods.  He tried to follow, but it was long gone by the time he got over there.  NorthWind thought he daw a shaken tree in the same area.

So, success? Between the three of us, we smelled something, heard something and saw something in an area that is highly suspected of being bigfoot country. Cool!

The ridge and valley, the old logging road, the pond, the Meadow and pretty wildflowers. 

20190728_123116.jpg

20190728_134040.jpg

20190728_155222.jpg

20190728_160933.jpg

20190728_161144.jpg

20190728_161216.jpg

Edited by Madison5716
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Madison5716

Date & Time: July 31, 2019 at 10am

Weather: Perfectly sunny and 80°F

What Happened: I had the morning off, so I took a drive to check out the location of this BFRO sighting.  Here's some pix from the area. There is a lot of farmland,  which backs to the river, and a bunch of orchards. This road (High Banks Rd.) and Thurston Rd. form a hard line between suburbs and farms and wilderness.  Intriguing. 

The McKenzie River fascinates me. Some of my experiences hsve happened on this river at various spots. Most of the shoreline is private property.  There are very few spots where you can reach the river. There are a half dozen creeks flowing into the river through this farmland. I want to do much more investigating in this area.

The river flows past the Coburg Hills,  which is where we just found those small teepees on both sides of the road. Lots of stories of those hills. You can see them in the background. 

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=50901

20190731_092947.jpg

20190731_092756.jpg

20190731_101129.jpg

20190731_101453.jpg

20190731_093304.jpg

• Upvote 1

Madison5716
Posted (edited)

Redbone, here's my YouTube channel, Lane County Bigfooters.

The faint, subtle walking sounds -snaps and crunches - are in the beginning few minutes before we walk into the woods. I hope my phone picked them up. I was also wearing an audio recorder, but recorded the whole day. I'd have to rake it to work and see if I can narrow it down to the pertinent parts. When I listen to it, its hard to tell if its noise Im making, NorthWind is making, or something else. Maybe the loudest crackles are us and just listen for more subtle noises?

Yes, I sound bossy, lol! Sorry,  NorthWind! It's the anxiety of the situation. 

At 3:15 we managed to be very quiet for a minute,  and i was still hearing it. Maybe try there.

Edited by Madison5716
  • Upvote 1

Madison5716
Posted (edited)

At 3:15 we managed to be very quiet for a minute,  and i was still hearing it. Maybe try there.

At 7:20 there is an unidentified noise that sounds like a wood knock. K. was way off in the Meadow, NorthWind was coming from the road on the left and it wasn't me. Huh. 

Edited by Madison5716

Huntster
12 hours ago, Catmandoo said:

.......Our sense of smell varies with age and gender.........

Mine is pretty much gone. I can't smell s**t.

NatFoot

You really need to be careful out there. Reading your report made me nervous for you.

Madison5716
Posted (edited)

I wasn't scared... Just anxious when I saw that we were all separated and whatever-it-was (90% certain it was at least one and likely two bigfoots) were across from me about (guessing) 30-40 feet into the woods? That's what the woods knock at 7:20 sounded like. Go listen to it it's 40 feet out, towards the Meadow slightly. Very exciting, and I realized then that it wasn't a cougar or bear at that moment.

Edited by Madison5716