Madison5716

Searching For Bigfoot in Oregon - Take 2

Catmandoo
BFF Donor
25 minutes ago, Madison5716 said:

Catmandoo, good idea with the tongue depresser.

Popsicle stick, aka craft stick. Still have it.  I did not have anything else that would have worked. Regular steel tape measure fell over due to the slope.

Madison5716
BFF Donor
13 hours ago, NatFoot said:

Anything stopping you guys from a night time visit?

That could be very interesting given what you've found so far.

Eh, I have a teenager, lol! Not sure I can leave him home alone all night. He's special needs with Separation Anxiety Disorder. I'd have to find a sitter who doesn't SEEM like a sitter, and someone my dog likes. It's just logistics. Still, I'm game!

Catmandoo, I have acquired a lime green kitchen play knife from my preschool and marked up to.3 1/2 inches on it. It'll be easy to find I my pack and see in photos. 

Edited by Madison5716
  • Upvote 1

Madison5716
BFF Donor

Maybe so! But I dont remember if there were any rocks nearby. I kinda think these were in a flat area. I did my video, then realized that I'd dropped my hiking pole somewhere, so i had to backtrsck to the very beginning to find it. I found these along the way but in with all the rest

Madison5716
BFF Donor

Hiflier, Maybe so! But I dont remember if there were any rocks nearby. I kinda think these were in a flat area. I did my video, then realized that I'd dropped my hiking pole somewhere, so i had to backtrsck to the very beginning to find it. I found these along the way but in with all the rest

Madison5716
BFF Donor

Oh my, you made it it's own thing. I hope folks still visit it! 

But, awesome, thanks!

Huntster
BFF Donor

Teens go to school here in Alaska in shorts and sandals in winter all the time.

Madison5716
BFF Donor

Looks like I was wrong on the 47 inches.

I think the first one in the track line,  which is now overrun with deer prints, and frozen a week later, was 47"....

Madison5716
BFF Donor

Date & Time - Saturday,  November 30, 2019

Location - the "Charmed" lake in the Oregon Cascades 

Weather  - Damp, heavy air, frozen ground and the Weather Channel said it was 34°F but it was lying. Darn cold.

What Happened - NorthWind and I returned to the lake to attempt to cast prints before forecasted snow moved in.  It had rained, possibly several times, and a hard frost was in the higher elevations and the ground was frozen the closer we got to the river. We had to break out the casts we made. I think it snowed last might; sure felt like it could. 

We also scouted places along the riverbank where we could possible park and use future night vision optics on the mudflats and opposite shoreline. 

There were 10 steps in the track line. I have it on video. As soon as i figure out YouTube's new policy, I'll get the video up.

So, from #1 to #2 the step was 53 inches.

Step #2 to #3 = 52",

#3 tp #4 = 54 inches

#4 - #5 =58 inches and we cast this one. #5 - #6 = 55 inches,

#6 - #7 = 57 inches,

#7 - #8= 54 inches

#8 - #9 = 54 inches

#9 - #10 = 54 inches.

Wow, just wow.

We might have found a couple of 14" tracks down by the river, but the springy ground made it inconclusive.  We may have found 3 itty bitty 4" tracks, too, right next to the 11 inchers. They were more clear, but we couldn't be sure they weren't odd looking 6 inchers.

The major tracks were definitely degraded from last week. They'd been rained on and deer had walked through the area, obliterating a whole bunch of them. Ice stood in most of the prints.

20191130_153927.jpg

20191130_153930.jpg

20191130_152504.jpg

20191130_155837.jpg

Here's a screenshot of the trackline.531347930_Screenshot_20191201-003516_VideoPlayer.thumb.jpg.97efb71b1088ebf1c6e0aab5092fc94b.jpg

Edited by Madison5716
  • Upvote 1

Madison5716
BFF Donor

The casts are curing on my kitchen counter and stovetop right now, due to lack of space, but I hope they turn out okay. I can move them in with the others after I've labeled them and they are dry enough to wash and observe.

I have a baker's rack that I'm going to convert to cast storage as soon as I can afford some baking sheets for it! It'll be the perfect storage system!

20191201_092459.jpg

• Upvote 2

hiflier
BFF Donor

In your fourth image......do you think the two stones inside the print were actually pressed down along with the soil?

Madison5716
BFF Donor

Yep, it was definitely stepped on. The stepper did not care.

I have a few of those, let me check my photos... Here's an 8 incher with stepped on rocks.

20191130_143601.jpg

hiflier
BFF Donor

It's amazing that that happens and one can tell because the tops of the rocks are clean and not soil-stained. Interesting.

Madison5716
BFF Donor

One of the reasons i don't think they are human prints.  If I were to step on those, the next in line would be my butt prints where i fell to the ground holding my injured bare foot!

hiflier
BFF Donor

Not only that ;) but your foot/shoe would leave dirt/mud traces on the rock. Why that doesn't happen anyway is curious, wouldn't you say? Food for thought at least.

Madison5716
BFF Donor

I don't know. I'm not going barefoot in that ground to test the theory! 

In fact, I need thicker socks and a better hat! I'm going with more, not less next time!

It was icy.

20191130_155406.jpg