Madison5716

Searching For Bigfoot in Oregon - Take 2

NorthWind
BFF Donor
21 hours ago, hiflier said:

Not only that ;) but your foot/shoe would leave dirt/mud traces on the rock. Why that doesn't happen anyway is curious, wouldn't you say? Food for thought at least.

I thought about that, too, HF, and I think the reason for the bare rocks is simply Oregon sunshine.

The tracks have been there a while. How long, I can only guess. Less than a year for certain, because this is a drained reservoir that fills and drains seasonally. There is small vegetation that has grown in some of them, indicating age. (Although some living "weedlings" may have been stepped on and grown larger anyway). And since we have been coming here, we have watched them degrade over time. For instance, the little double set of prints that looked like a "jump landing"...one of those prints is gone. Deer tracks and erosion (rain and ice freeze and thaw) have totally degraded one. (We cast the other last trip out. I thought it would be cool to have two prints in one cast, I have never seen a double. Alas.)

So the Oregon sunshine, what most folks call "rain", has had plenty of time to do some cleansing of the stones. Just my .02.

• Upvote 1

Madison5716
BFF Donor

Unfortunately the casts didn't turn out as well as the other ones. I think it was because of the ice. Wherever there was standing ice, there's now a hole. Three of the five casts are okay, the other two are blob prints. 

They do match up with the ones from the opposite shoreline. 

Edited by Madison5716

Madison5716
BFF Donor

Here's the video from Saturday,  November 30, 2019.

BTW, I think the prints are MUCH younger than what NorthWind thinks. If there was that much change over a one week period, I think they are less than 2 weeks old. If they were older, they wouldn't have been so perfect last week, and there would have been innumerable opportunities for deer to walk all through them (and they hadn't). I think we've been about a week behind each of the three sets of prints we've found at the three locations. 

I think the plants in the prints were stepped on as is. I don't think they had time to grow there, but were already there.

Sorry there's no audio at the first part, NorthWind had his hand covering the speaker:)

Edited by Madison5716
  • Upvote 1

Madison5716
BFF Donor

Here's the remaining casts. 11 inch, two 8 inch and the 6 1/2 inch.

20191203_235928.jpg

• Upvote 1

Madison5716
BFF Donor

Some cast comparisons, presumably if the same track maker. They look very similar to me. Here are the 11 inch casts.

20191204_000638.jpg

Here are the 8 inch casts. Sorry it's uoside down.

20191204_000945.jpg

Here are the 6 1/2 inch casts. Again, sorry for the upside down photos.

The soil for the first two was sandy mud, and the second, mud and dead grasses and soil.

20191204_001130.jpg

Turns out icy ground is worse for casting. The ice melts under the plaster, and makes holes and gouges in the plaster as it dries. The plaster doesn't spread as well, either, and doesn't get into the toe holes. We did use warm water in thermoses, but it wasn't enough apparently. 

Guess we're pretty much done casting for a while. I think we're gonna have another hard winter here. It's been a very cold autumn and early winter. I may have to start carrying plaster in my pack, for immediate casting of interesting finds, which will suck.

Edited by Madison5716
  • Upvote 1

NorthWind
BFF Donor

You may very well be correct in the dating of those prints. But we can monitor them. Seeing them degrade as much as they have in that short of a timeframe is indicative of them being younger than I thought.

And I am sorry for being such a bad camera / audio guy. I officially hang my head in shame.

• Haha 1

BlackRockBigfoot
BFF Donor
14 minutes ago, NorthWind said:

You may very well be correct in the dating of those prints. But we can monitor them. Seeing them degrade as much as they have in that short of a timeframe is indicative of them being younger than I thought.

And I am sorry for being such a bad camera / audio guy. I officially hang my head in shame.

Lol.  I feel you.  I have never been interested in cameras.  I have had to give myself a very basic crash course just to effectively be able to use our go pros and video camera.  

11 hours ago, Madison5716 said:

Some cast comparisons, presumably if the same track maker. They look very similar to me. Here are the 11 inch casts.

20191204_000638.jpg

Here are the 8 inch casts. Sorry it's uoside down.

20191204_000945.jpg

Here are the 6 1/2 inch casts. Again, sorry for the upside down photos.

The soil for the first two was sandy mud, and the second, mud and dead grasses and soil.

20191204_001130.jpg

Turns out icy ground is worse for casting. The ice melts under the plaster, and makes holes and gouges in the plaster as it dries. The plaster doesn't spread as well, either, and doesn't get into the toe holes. We did use warm water in thermoses, but it wasn't enough apparently. 

Guess we're pretty much done casting for a while. I think we're gonna have another hard winter here. It's been a very cold autumn and early winter. I may have to start carrying plaster in my pack, for immediate casting of interesting finds, which will suck.

You can really see the toes in those last two.

Madison5716
BFF Donor

A friend found some prints while bear hunting a weekend ago, a line of prints in the snow. I hope we can get up there!

Edited by Madison5716
  • Upvote 1

wiiawiwb
BFF Donor

You two are doing a fantastic job. What casting material are you using?

Keep up the good work.

• Thanks 2

Madison5716
BFF Donor

Tobe Johnson told me to use plaster Fix It All, a plaster patching compound, so we divided it into sealed containers and it goes into the back of the truck.

Thank you for the support, we greatly appreciate it!!!

wiiawiwb
BFF Donor

Here is a link to a discussion about casting footprints. SWWASAS is very knowledgeable and posted in this thread. There are a ton of threads about casting footprints in BFF 1.0 if you're a premium member.  You may want to experiment with different casting materials at home in your backyard.  Hydrocal is poplar casting material. Maybe make a few impressions in the dirt and make casts from different materials.  That way you can test different materials in different conditions ahead of time.

You two are doing a fantastic job and I am thrilled for both of you. Footprints can tell a lot and you obviously know where to look. Kudos!!

https://bigfootforums.com/topic/59002-footprint-casting-latex/page/2/#comments

https://www.micromark.com/Lightweight-Hydrocal-1-2-Gallon?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=NX_NTM_Shopping_Segregated&utm_term=4576579717636192&utm_content=Building Materials

Madison5716
BFF Donor

♥️

Thanks for the links, I'll check them out!

NorthWind
BFF Donor
1 hour ago, wiiawiwb said:

Here is a link to a discussion about casting footprints. SWWASAS is very knowledgeable and posted in this thread. There are a ton of threads about casting footprints in BFF 1.0 if you're a premium member.  You may want to experiment with different casting materials at home in your backyard.  Hydrocal is poplar casting material. Maybe make a few impressions in the dirt and make casts from different materials.  That way you can test different materials in different conditions ahead of time.

You two are doing a fantastic job and I am thrilled for both of you. Footprints can tell a lot and you obviously know where to look. Kudos!!

https://bigfootforums.com/topic/59002-footprint-casting-latex/page/2/#comments

https://www.micromark.com/Lightweight-Hydrocal-1-2-Gallon?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=NX_NTM_Shopping_Segregated&utm_term=4576579717636192&utm_content=Building Materials

That really is a great post that SWWASAS made. I saw it earlier. I never knew about the hairspray, but it makes perfect sense. Guess I'm going to have to go buy some Aquanet. LOL I never thought I would say that.

I wonder if "hot mud" will work...the fast setting joint compound. Some of it will harden up in 20 minutes. I guess I will have to try it. But I would have to test it on my own print first. That's one of the things I want to try actually, is getting barefoot and walking in that horrible / stinky mud we found. Then casting my prints, and measuring, looking at the way they lie, the arch, the toes, heel strikes, etc. Then maybe running. Jumping, etc. I think it would sharpen my / our skills. And speaking of sharp, maybe with a little luck, I won't cut my foot open on a sharp rock, some twisted metal, a shard of broken glass, or getting stuck with a fish hook. 

I might take some hardware cloth and cut it into strips and keep them with the casting stuff to lay in a newly cast print for reinforcement.

Thanks for the kudos. Really, it means a lot because sometimes, being out in the muck and cold sucks and I wonder why the heck I am doing this. 

wiiawiwb
BFF Donor

As you look at some of the detailed discussions in the BFF 1.0 forums there was talk about the strength of the casting material so that it would be less likely to break upon removal.  If you do a search here of "Hydrocal",  you'll find them.

Huntster
BFF Donor
On 12/2/2019 at 6:47 AM, NorthWind said:

..........The tracks have been there a while. How long, I can only guess. Less than a year for certain, because this is a drained reservoir that fills and drains seasonally. There is small vegetation that has grown in some of them, indicating age..........

This print looks like it might have been made when that soil was still submerged, or at least super saturated.

B124F5EB-F8A4-4871-9B8F-344D6F0B322D.jpeg