Madison5716

Searching For Bigfoot in Oregon

hiflier

Durabond also comes in various set up times as well. it's about $12-$13 for a 25 lb. bag of Durabond 20 (20 minutes). it's a chemical cure and can be used outside. A lot of stuff does better when it's warm so I hear you on the temperature issues.

SWWASAS
21 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

Here is a link to a discussion about casting footprints. SWWASAS is very knowledgeable and posted in this thread. There are a ton of threads about casting footprints in BFF 1.0 if you're a premium member.  You may want to experiment with different casting materials at home in your backyard.  Hydrocal is poplar casting material. Maybe make a few impressions in the dirt and make casts from different materials.  That way you can test different materials in different conditions ahead of time.

You two are doing a fantastic job and I am thrilled for both of you. Footprints can tell a lot and you obviously know where to look. Kudos!!

https://bigfootforums.com/topic/59002-footprint-casting-latex/page/2/#comments

https://www.micromark.com/Lightweight-Hydrocal-1-2-Gallon?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=NX_NTM_Shopping_Segregated&utm_term=4576579717636192&utm_content=Building Materials

A note on my dissertation about casting in the link above.    Someone asked if I had used polyurethane in place of hairspray.     While polyurethane would probably be a better medium as far as strength and flexibility, it dries very slowly even when sprayed.   Cooler temperatures greatly increase the drying time.    I used a catalyzed polyurethane paint to paint my airplane so know the stuff pretty well.    The catalyzed stuff dried faster than hardware store variety but it still takes a while to dry to the touch.    You do not want a sticky medium present when you pour in the hydrocal or plaster.       Women use hair spray because it dries quickly.     Hair spray is basically a light lacquer.    I have not costed the difference but a spray lacquer or art fixative my be cheaper than hairspray.   Anyone know if the Dollar Store has hairspray?    You really want to mist it on in several very light coats.  It will firm up the casting material / dirt boundary and reduce the chance of casting artifacts especially in dusty dirt or very dry sand.    I have not tried it but spray wax exists as a mold release agent.     If you set the surface with hairspray, let it dry,   then sprayed a wax mold release before pouring in the casting material, you might achieve a cast completely free of sand, pebbles, and pine needles sticking to the cast.     I will have to try that out.     

Edited by SWWASAS
  • Upvote 1

hiflier

And I agree with what you suggested, THIN coats of anything one uses. What's cool about hairspray is one can carefully even cast a print in firm snow. Just keep any liquid applications above freezing until needed. As with anything else, read the label. 

Edited by hiflier

SWWASAS
27 minutes ago, hiflier said:

And I agree with what you suggested, THIN coats of anything one uses. What's cool about hairspray is one can carefully even cast a print in firm snow. Just keep any liquid applications above freezing until needed. As with anything else, read the label. 

Did you mean keep liquids below freezing until used?       You want to reduce snow melt as long as possible.    Casting in snow is hard.    I wonder of there is some material that is endothermic and gets colder as it cures?    Hydrocal and plaster of paris create heat (exothermic) as they cure.   Where are all the chemists when you really need them?  

SWWASAS

I have worked with release materials and found that the best are waxes.    Wax works with plaster and various resins.     Resins could be used for casting but they are expensive, heavy, and viscous.     Viscosity would tend to create casting artifacts.     Most resins are also very exothermic and get pretty warm in the curing process.   If I have to carry water to drink anyway,  I would just as soon carry water for drinking or mixing casting materials rather than water and resins both.    A leaky container of resin would really make a mess of your pack and clothing.   Epoxies tend create allergic reactions with some people who use them often.   

hiflier

^^ True. Every word.

Madison5716

Thank you all for the casting suggestions and information. Both NorthWind and I appreciate all your support. We still have several containers of the current stuff to use up - I think the bag was 25 pounds, so it lasts a while. Now I have a good 20 or so casts, and until i get my bakers rack set up, I'm running out of room to store them in my apartment!

Madison5716

Date & Time - Saturday,  December 14, 2019 from 11am until 5pm

Location  - A lake in the Oregon Cascades and the mountains surrounding it 

Weather- 35°F in the hills, some fog, variable light drizzle. 40°F on the lakebed, light drizzle and then more

What Happened- NorthWind and I explored the woods above one of the lakes, driving up forest roads and old logging roads just looking for out of place structures and trees etc. We did find one super creepy area. We stopped for a while and I played a recording of a 4 month old baby crying (recorded at my preschool lol). In response, we got two weird gravelly sounds, like something heavy being dragged over gravel but not. No idea what it was. We also got dogs barking far on the distance; maybe they heard the baby's cries and were disturbed? I played it on a mountain side and there were houses a few miles below, near the lake.  The sound could probably carry.

After a few hours, we were thinking of heading home. On the return,  NorthWind remembered seeing tracks in the mud on the lakebed. So, we parked,  fought our way through the blackberry brambles and walked up a half mile up the lakebed. At first all along that way,  we found dog and various boot prints. We tried crossing the creek, but it was slippery and gross, and i nearly lost my right boot, sinking 6 inches in mud! We gave that up, but those all looked like human prints anyway. 

We continued walking up the lakebed, to where it started becoming creeks and marshy lands. Eventually we found 2 lines of tracks, a 7 inch and a 9 inch. Must have been around 75 prints! We estimate they were less than 2 weeks old. I'm convinced the littles like to play in the mud (at EACH lake!). There were 32 inches heel to heel!

I'll have my video up later. 

Screenshot_20191214-212652_Video Player.jpg

Here's the two lines.

Screenshot_20191214-212449_Video Player.jpg

My muddy boot next to a 7 inch.

20191214_161924.jpg

A nine inch.

20191214_163728.jpg

7 inch.

Screenshot_20191214-213009_Video Player.jpg

A mess of prints.

Screenshot_20191214-212520_Video Player.jpg

Obvious toes!

Edited by Madison5716
  • Upvote 4

Madison5716

What else we found today!  Way out in the woods.

20191214_132436.jpg

hiflier

You're kidding! A one-holer? Footprints? Of course wouldn't blame anyone for keeping their distance. I would think it could potentially trap animals without a cover? Not good.

Edited by hiflier

Madison5716

The prints were many miles away from the "one holer". I don't think the forest giants visited the forest toilet... but there's a thought!

NorthWind told me to go look on there, but i told him where to go.

Edited by Madison5716
  • Haha 1

wiiawiwb
19 hours ago, hiflier said:

Just use this stuff: https://www.lociforensics.nl/products/evidence-collection/impression-evidence--casting/snow-print-wax---250ml It's about $16 a spray can, but how often is anyone going to use it? And if there is a darn good trackway then wouldn't you think it would be worth every penny and then some?

Wow, interesting spray wax. I noticed the spray is red colored. Wouldn't that compromise the location and give a heads up to others who may pass that way?  I didn't see any indication that it came in a clear color.

Madison5716

Yeah, I wondered about that too. Does it stay on the cast? I wouldn't like that. 

I'm uploading to YouTube now, but my 15 minute video is taking 77 minutes to upload. Ugh. Technology. 

• Upvote 1