Madison5716

Searching For Bigfoot in Oregon

NorthWind
1 minute ago, Redbone said:

It's so important to go back and investigate, and I think you did a good job here.

You NEED my simple 'height measurement' invention for stuff like this... (see it here)

It's an extendable paint pole, with a 4 inch yellow and blue foam ball on top.

I needed something for the investigation of my own sighting.

Investigation. 050419a.jpg

My squatching buddies yell cuss words EVERY time we get a rock thrown at us. I've had to bleep out so much from my recordings.

You need to place this video in the BFF $1500 prize thread.

FWIW... I enjoy your sense of humor, but have zero plans of looking up the German Sparkle Party video...

Thanks, Redbone. I tend to use humor when I get nervous. 

Madison5716
Posted (edited)

I can't delete this 

2 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

2 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

Oh for heaven's sake, I can't delete that. Sorry.

@BlackRockBigfoot  I worked in Hollywood for a decade, and I cuss like a sailor. Can't help it, except at work. Can't have the littles repeating my colorful vocabulary.

@Redbonet a great idea! Let me see what I can cook up. I think I even have some glow-in-the-dark paint around here somewhere.

@NorthWind fantastic job integrating my audio!!! I just realized what you did! ❤

Edited by Madison5716

NorthWind

@Madison5716 you are most welcome. Took me a while to get it pinned down. It was well over 2 hours of audio. The funny stuff is all at the end where we were in the vehicle headed back and talking. Sure can't post it here though!

• Haha 1

Redbone
1 hour ago, Madison5716 said:

I can't delete this 

Oh for heaven's sake, I can't delete that. Sorry.

I can show you how. Hit "Back" on the browser after you start the reply, and then return to the thread to reply again.

A "Clear Editor" button appears, until you type something. Hit that button and you can start over.

image.thumb.png.e6d33c80d2d76dcc5902d808bd8624b8.png

• Thanks 1

Huntster
On 7/9/2020 at 8:22 AM, NorthWind said:

Thanks, Redbone. I tend to use humor when I get nervous. 

Mrs. Huntster and I were just watching your YouTube video, and she really enjoyed your bed joke.

• Upvote 1

Madison5716
Posted (edited)

Date & Time - Saturday, July 11, 2020 from 8pm-1230am

Location - The Charmed Lake environs, Oregon Cascades 

Weather - 60 degrees, no wind, perfect 

What Happened - NorthWind and I went out in the woods and practiced using the FLIR. We went to several spots, and saw several deer and a fox, lots of campers, but no bigfoot.

20200711_210216.jpg

Lookind down into a meadow, and the treeline.

20200711_223958.jpg

What NorthWind looks like 20 feet away on my phone FLIR. Note - if you're gonna buy one, don't go cheap and buy the phone attachment. Save up for the real thing. It's limited. I will basically see something when it's right on top of me, at about 50 feet away. Still, anything like this gives you a bit of peace of mind in the pitch black night.

flir_20200711T230211.jpg

Edited by Madison5716
  • Upvote 3

Madison5716
Posted (edited)

20200712_155323.jpg

Date & Time - Sunday, July 12, 2020 afternoon 

Weather - 75 degrees, no wind, beautiful 

Location - Sighting Location, Oregon Cascades 

What Happened - NorthWind and I went back to do FLIR comparison shots of the sighting location. He has the pix, I assume he will post them as he's able. 

These are the lovely thorns we wade through. Ugh.

Edited by Madison5716
  • Upvote 1

BigTreeWalker

Ugh, evergreens are the worst. With their hooked thorns. 

Both evergreens and himalayas are invasive species in North America. Although they are good to eat. 😁

Madison5716
Posted (edited)

Date & Time - Saturday,  July 18, 2020 from 4:30 pm until 1:30am

Location  - Oregon Cascades, mountain roads

Weather  - Spectacular, from 85 to 70 degrees, no wind, clear skies

What Happened - NorthWind, my son and I went out to explore 2 sites recommended to us by fellow researchers in the area, waaayy out in the woods. The whole area looked like great habitat. We found a hill with prints coming down it, but just who made them was unclear. Could have been bear, cougar or bigfoot. On the drive out, we found an odd structure.  It was s white, distinctive 5-foot tall "Y" branch, shoved into the ground, with a bark strip across the Y. Very obvious. Might have found an "X", also and a bend. There was as path, larger than a typical game trail, leading away from between the X and the bend. We may explore it at a later date. We don't explore trails at 6pm! A beautiful evening under BIG, old growth trees. We also saw the comet far, far from city lights. Awesome!

The "Y" structure. 

20200718_214649.jpg

20200718_214636.jpg

20200718_214747.jpg

Indeterminate prints coming down a hill to the road. I tried climbing up, but couldn't. 

20200718_195640.jpg

The "X". The only broken tree in the vicinity. The break is about 12 feet up.

20200718_194740.jpg

Just an amazing view.

20200718_201839.jpg

My son on the forest path.

20200718_194552.jpg

NorthWind and a huge, old growth tree. The forest was full of these 10-20 foot in diameter trees. 

20200718_192451.jpg

An old forest road, more of a path now, off another small dirt road at dusk. Friends saw creepy forest lights here, but we just saw a beautiful sunset.

20200718_205009.jpg

Edited by Madison5716
  • Upvote 2

Catmandoo

I have a couple questions for Madison and Northwind. In the pitch black forest setting, the target(s) know that you are there. They hear you talking. They smell you. You hand the thermal equipment back and forth. How far away from your face do you hold the thermal gear? Does the light from the display reflect off of your face? Off of the vehicle?  Please test.

Might be time for black out fabric hood to cover the display and your head. I think that a black balaclava would be a bad idea. Polyurethane coated waterproof black-out nylon rip stop material is available for about $10.50 / yd.

Duvetyne black out fabric is for indoor use so it is very limited.

Another option is to buy a small size film changing bag and cut it up. Half for each of you. Place the cuffed sleeve over the display end.

I have all 3. The 1.9 oz, black out rip stop is easy to deal with but my source just went very expensive. It is washable. Duvetyne is for indoor use, flame retardant, not very washable. It has a fuzzy side.  The film changing bag is in stock form but I am thinking about modifying it.

I have scanned some of the brands of thermal imagers and seen that some units have a Wi-Fi remote control / viewing capability where the display can be shut off. Saves power and no light being emitted. Those units are typically above $2K. The thermal units hit the 'legacy' category within a year or 2. 

Painting your face is not an option. You would be required to stop off at the Blue Oyster Bar on the way home.

Huntster

I just want to say that you two are my favorite Bigfoot researchers. I love your YouTube channel and this subforum. If anybody deserves to catch a bigfoot, you two do. You need to be the 2020 version of Patterson & Gimlin.

• Thanks 1

wiiawiwb
3 hours ago, Catmandoo said:

I have a couple questions for Madison and Northwind. In the pitch black forest setting, the target(s) know that you are there. They hear you talking. They smell you. You hand the thermal equipment back and forth. How far away from your face do you hold the thermal gear? Does the light from the display reflect off of your face? Off of the vehicle?  Please test.

Might be time for black out fabric hood to cover the display and your head. I think that a black balaclava would be a bad idea. Polyurethane coated waterproof black-out nylon rip stop material is available for about $10.50 / yd.

Another option is to buy a small size film changing bag and cut it up. Half for each of you. Place the cuffed sleeve over the display end.

I have all 3. The 1.9 oz, black out rip stop is easy to deal with but my source just went very expensive. It is washable. Duvetyne is for indoor use, flame retardant, not very washable. It has a fuzzy side.  The film changing bag is in stock form but I am thinking about modifying it.

I have scanned some of the brands of thermal imagers and seen that some units have a Wi-Fi remote control / viewing capability where the display can be shut off. Saves power and no light being emitted. Those units are typically above $2K. The thermal units hit the 'legacy' category within a year or 2. 

Painting your face is not an option. You would be required to stop off at the Blue Oyster Bar on the way home.

Catmandoo brings up an excellent point. In darkness, the light from the eyecup end can give away your location. That has happened when passing my thermal to a friend to share what's going on in the woods. Thankfully, I can put it on sleep mode, hand it over to someone who can then activate it.

Were it not for that, I'd be looking at something to drape over the eyecup. Not exactly sure how I'd connect it but Catmandoo has a couple of ideas.

NorthWind
13 hours ago, Huntster said:

I just want to say that you two are my favorite Bigfoot researchers. I love your YouTube channel and this subforum. If anybody deserves to catch a bigfoot, you two do. You need to be the 2020 version of Patterson & Gimlin.

Wow. not really sure how to respond, but thank you. :-) I love this place. 

15 hours ago, Catmandoo said:

Blue Oyster? Are you starting a cult?  ;) Oops, dating myself.

With the TK Scout, they eyecup is right up against my face, and I like it a bit towards the dim setting as my eyes in the dark are pretty sensitive to light. Might be remnants of my years doing ultrasound in a dark room. Madison's phone FLIR is bright as hell. Worse yet, is the new night vision binoculars I got. They work well, but I have to hold that out away from me in order for my older eyes to be able to focus on the screen, and it about tans my eyelids while lighting up whatever's behind. I have some brown and red photographic gel on the way that I am going to cut and place over the viewing screen to mitigate it somewhat, but a hood might be good as well, though I am not versed in the art of sewing. I am more of a duct tape and zip ties kind of guy. Anyway, we'll get it knocked out. I like problem solving, and often use unconventional methods. 

I can say that it is quite comforting in the woods to be able to see what may or may not be around you. Helps to silence the scary side of my imagination. Especially when I have to "step behind a tree" for a minute.

• Upvote 1

Catmandoo
1 hour ago, NorthWind said:

I have some brown and red photographic gel on the way 

Brand?   Gamcolor was bought by Rosco. Gamcolor is deep dyed polyester material and is water proof / resistant. Go for the deep dyed types. Lee has some that are surface dyed and scratch easily and the dyes wash off with water. The sheets of gel filters should arrive with glassine separation sheets. Hang onto the glassine material.  If you are trying to reduce brightness, you may want to consider ND gels for control of neutral density.  At night, we use 'rod' vision and everything is black and white until we add artificial light. 

NorthWind
8 minutes ago, Catmandoo said:

Brand?   Gamcolor was bought by Rosco. Gamcolor is deep dyed polyester material and is water proof / resistant. Go for the deep dyed types. Lee has some that are surface dyed and scratch easily and the dyes wash off with water. The sheets of gel filters should arrive with glassine separation sheets. Hang onto the glassine material.  If you are trying to reduce brightness, you may want to consider ND gels for control of neutral density.  At night, we use 'rod' vision and everything is black and white until we add artificial light. 

Brand? I have no idea. Found it on eBay. If it doesn't work, I will try something else. Thanks for the tips!