Jump to content

Searching For Bigfoot in Oregon


Madison5716

Recommended Posts

Madison5716

@Catmandoo I assume if they are near, they already know that we are there. I don't honestly think the two of us will be sneaking up on and surprising anyone. And I don't really care if they see us, I consider it an advantage. They can see that we don't appear to be threatening.  If they think they have all the advantages, then they will be more bold and maybe make contact in some manner. Then our technology comes into play, and the advantage moves to US. I really think that's our advantage  - our technology. Audio recording, FLIR, parabolic listening devices etc. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
BlackRockBigfoot
1 hour ago, Madison5716 said:

@Catmandoo I assume if they are near, they already know that we are there. I don't honestly think the two of us will be sneaking up on and surprising anyone. And I don't really care if they see us, I consider it an advantage. They can see that we don't appear to be threatening.  If they think they have all the advantages, then they will be more bold and maybe make contact in some manner. Then our technology comes into play, and the advantage moves to US. I really think that's our advantage  - our technology. Audio recording, FLIR, parabolic listening devices etc. 

I agree with you.  We operate under the same assumption.  

 

I think that these creatures could be ambushed or surprised given time and effort, but we are not surprising them moving through the woods like we do.  Between the noise and the scent...we always assume that they know where we are.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Madison5716
Posted (edited)

Date & Time - Sunday, July 26, 2020

Weather - Hot! Maybe 90° (was 96°F in Eugene,  ugh). Mosquitoes. 

Location - Oregon Cascades, Three Sisters Wilderness 

What Happened - NorthWind, a friend and I explored the area with the giant X and big arch. We walked in to the forest 50 yards down a game trail, and came to an area with both a double twist and the most perfectly arched small tree secured under a small log. I felt like we were intruding on someone's bedroom. 

 

We also explored the big arch area and the X some more, then continued driving another half hour to explore somewhere else down a side road.

 

Just a beautiful day to be in the forest.

 

20200726_131344.jpg

 

20200726_134814.jpg

 

20200726_151443.jpg

 

20200726_150230.jpg

Edited by Madison5716
Link to post
Share on other sites
NorthWind

I usually don't think too much of arches. But this one was obviously made. The sapling was green and had leaves on it. Pinned down with a long branch or log that didn't grow there. And was a different species of maple than the vine maples, firs and cedars in the immediate area. That log was imported and placed on top of the sapling to hold it down. 

 

Something had thumbs.

 

I set up my new Browning Dark Ops trail camera a little ways off, pointed in the general direction. I plan to go back up at the end of August to retrieve it and see if we got anything, though I don't have high hopes because I think these creatures can see infrared. The dark ops camera does have a longer wavelength than most cams of that type though, so we will see. If nothing else, it was great (as always) to get back out into the woods and play.

 

We did find impressions in the forest floor that could have been prints, but so much leaf litter, trailing blackberries and Oregon grape bushes to be sure if they were prints or not. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
BobbyO
SSR Team

Do you log the plant species up in your area at all Madison/Northwind ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
NorthWind

No, not logging in the specific sense typically. I can identify many plants, trees and shrubs (and learning about mushrooms, too). I came across two small plants this weekend that I am still trying to identify. Always learning.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
BobbyO
SSR Team

Stay away from those mushrooms with the rainbows on NorthWind whatever you do..;)

 

I use a great app to identify plants, it's called Picture This, you literally just take a picture of any plant you wish to ID and it comes back in 5 seconds or so with the ID plus lots of info, it's fantastic.

 

Reason i ask anyway is because i might have just started collating patterns within certain areas of the Olympics that the nests are being found, with certain flora that is used from a medicinal perspective, as 'birthing aids'. Certain Huckleberry especially, the Evergreen Huckleberry specifically and also Bog Bilberry.

 

The potential nest found and logged up on Prince of Wales Island, Alaska back in had Bearberry all around it too, which is yet again, used as a 'birthing aid' by natives. Bearberry has the highest medicinal rating of all the PNW 'birthing aid' flora too it should be noted.

 

I've got a spreadsheet of PNW native plants (less than 30 species) that can be used as 'birthing aids' if you're interested, i'd gladly share if you want as it starts to get the brain ticking, put it that way..;)

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Huntster
On 7/20/2020 at 2:53 PM, BlackRockBigfoot said:

........I think that these creatures could be ambushed or surprised given time and effort, but we are not surprising them moving through the woods like we do.  Between the noise and the scent...we always assume that they know where we are.

 

Patterson and Gimlin surprised Patty, even riding horses, under the cover noise of the creek, and obviously had the wind in their favor. This is a common theme in surprise bear encounters in Alaska. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
BlackRockBigfoot
11 minutes ago, Huntster said:

 

Patterson and Gimlin surprised Patty, even riding horses, under the cover noise of the creek, and obviously had the wind in their favor. This is a common theme in surprise bear encounters in Alaska. 

I seem to remember that one of the prevailing theories was that the scent of the horse may have masked their human scent somewhat.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
NorthWind

Picture this...I will check it out. But one needs cell service, right? We haven't found any suspected nests yet, I don't think. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Huntster
1 hour ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

I seem to remember that one of the prevailing theories was that the scent of the horse may have masked their human scent somewhat.

 

That might be true, but if so (with horses being unnatural in that environment), one would imagine Patty being in hiding and watching them go by.

Link to post
Share on other sites
SWWASAS
7 minutes ago, Huntster said:

 

That might be true, but if so (with horses being unnatural in that environment), one would imagine Patty being in hiding and watching them go by.

Point well taken.   Because she didn't hide but seemed to continue in the same direction she was traveling,   suggests to me that she was intent on getting to something before P/G did.     I have wondered if she had a juvenile stashed nearby that she did not want the humans to stumble on.  

Edited by SWWASAS
Link to post
Share on other sites
Huntster

Another thing to consider; a common trait for black bears when surprised by approaching humans/cars/trains/etc is that they seek cover/concealment, then in their feeling of safety will watch the invader pass by. Bob Titmus, in his tracking effort of Patty @ 11 days after the fact, indicated that this is exactly what happened. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
hiflier
2 hours ago, NorthWind said:

We haven't found any suspected nests yet, I don't think.

 

It may not be the nests you are looking for. At least not directly. Perhaps locating North-to-South running streams known to have fish might be a good thing to begin doing as a basic criteria for a general plan? Once the N/S streams are noted, then check them against a topo map to see what kind of terrain they flow through. You would be probably looking for streams that have points of land on the jutting out over the Eastside banks from the higher terrain creating overlooks onto the streams. If nothing else these days then a swim in a nice flowing stream's pool would probably feel pretty danged good :) 

Edited by hiflier
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
NorthWind
40 minutes ago, hiflier said:

 

It may not be the nests you are looking for. At least not directly. Perhaps locating North-to-South running streams known to have fish might be a good thing to begin doing as a basic criteria for a general plan? Once the N/S streams are noted, then check them against a topo map to see what kind of terrain they flow through. You would be probably looking for streams that have points of land on the jutting out over the Eastside banks from the higher terrain creating overlooks onto the streams. If nothing else these days then a swim in a nice flowing stream's pool would probably feel pretty danged good :) 

 

Following most creeks here is nearly impossible. Easier to trek through the woods and find what we find. It's been working OK for us so far. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...