Searching For Bigfoot in Oregon

Madison5716

Madison5716

Date and Time- Saturday,  October 17, 2020; 11am - 4pm 

Weather- spectacular 65°F, partly cloudy and very nice

Location - a nearby reservoir

What Happened  - NorthWind and I went out to check out the muddy banks of a local reservoir. We saw prints from the road but when we hiked down there, it was from a person and their dog. Then, further on, we saw someone/something duck back into a big drainage tunnel from across the river. This one was questionable. It most likely was a person who climbed down there and in the tunnel for some reason, but dang, it looked like a squatch from where we were. It took us 45 minutes to get over to that side of the river, and no one was there. It was a horrible hike down the embankment to get to it - big logs, gravel, rotting logs and blackberries on a steep grade. And, whomever was standing there was in 2-3 inch deep water, because we walked through the tunnel. We did find a shoe print on the other side. This was a really odd place for a person to be and it gave us a lot of trouble getting there.

The river valley above the reservoir. 

20201017_140623.jpg

The tunnel.

20201017_152553.jpg

The footprints we saw from the road 100 feet above them.

20201017_124126.jpg

Where we had lunch.

20201017_131912.jpg

Another view of the river valley from the road.

20201017_115338.jpg

Through the tunnel to the other side, maybe 100 feet?

20201017_152809.jpg

Looking out from the tunnel. 

20201017_153640.jpg

Just a very pretty area.

20201017_154332.jpg

Edited by Madison5716
  • Upvote 4

Looks like a squatchy area to me. Have you and Northwind done an overnight in this area and then used your thermal to scan for a body moving at night along the edges?

In the top picture, you could almost put yourself anywhere along the treeline and be able to see movement at night.  If you put yourselves in the clump of vegetation in the center, you could see 360 degrees.

Edited by wiiawiwb
1 hour ago, wiiawiwb said:

Looks like a squatchy area to me. Have you and Northwind done an overnight in this area and then used your thermal to scan for a body moving at night along the edges?

In the top picture, you could almost put yourself anywhere along the treeline and be able to see movement at night.  If you put yourselves in the clump of vegetation in the center, you could see 360 degrees.

We have not stayed there overnight at this time. Perhaps in the future. One issue is gear and carrying it all. Madison will need to heal up a bit more, I think. And by then, it will likely be colder than I want to camp in. Lol

One really strange thing that happened on this trip was that I got hit in the head with a stone. It was tiny...small pebble sized. Hit me on the top of my right forehead at the hairline. Where it came from is a complete mystery, because we were at least 100 yards from any sort of cover, walking in the flat of the reservoir. It made a distinctive sound when it hit. That sort of thunk noise that you almost more hear internally when something hits your skull. I could not find what hit me. And I immediately looked around and didn't even see a bird that might have dropped it. So, where did it come from? Mystery.

• Upvote 2

If the pebble was thrown by a BF,  they can do it from some distance away and very accurately.      Twice I had a pebble thrown at me that hit my pack near the same place in my research area.   As with you,  I looked around, and any cover was quite a distance away and I did not see anything.    In one case,   I heard ruinning footsteps before being hit.  At first I though it had hit my pack with its hand.   It had to have been a juvenile because the footfalls were much lighter sounding than an adult I heard walking a few months before that.    The adult footfalls sounded like a TRex coming at me.   I believe this same juvenile messed with me for a few months before the logging reduced the cover in the area to nearly nothing.     Its footprint was about 8 inches so I am thinking it was a playful young teen.       Playful is good when you find an active area.  

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, NorthWind said:

We have not stayed there overnight at this time. Perhaps in the future. One issue is gear and carrying it all. Madison will need to heal up a bit more, I think. And by then, it will likely be colder than I want to camp in. Lol

One really strange thing that happened on this trip was that I got hit in the head with a stone. It was tiny...small pebble sized. Hit me on the top of my right forehead at the hairline. Where it came from is a complete mystery, because we were at least 100 yards from any sort of cover, walking in the flat of the reservoir. It made a distinctive sound when it hit. That sort of thunk noise that you almost more hear internally when something hits your skull. I could not find what hit me. And I immediately looked around and didn't even see a bird that might have dropped it. So, where did it come from? Mystery.

56 minutes ago, SWWASAS said:

If the pebble was thrown by a BF,  they can do it from some distance away and very accurately.      Twice I had a pebble thrown at me that hit my pack near the same place in my research area.   As with you,  I looked around, and any cover was quite a distance away and I did not see anything.    In one case,   I heard running footsteps before being hit.  At first I though it had hit my pack with its hand.   It had to have been a juvenile because the footfalls were much lighter sounding than an adult I heard walking a few months before that.    The adult footfalls sounded like a TRex coming at me.   I believe this same juvenile messed with me for a few months before the logging reduced the cover in the area to nearly nothing.     Its footprint was about 8 inches so I am thinking it was a playful young teen.       Playful is good when you find an active area.  

The rock that hit me apparently came from cover 30-40 yards from my position. I was in the middle of a wooden bridge, in pitch darkness. If whatever threw it was trying to hit me where "I never want to be hit," the aim was absolutely perfect. I still have the rock, and an audio recording of the incident. The rock was about the size of a dime.

https://soundcloud.com/redbone2/rock-hits-me-091917-1110pm

image.png.475b85a008f20a4d09ecb3e35edfef6a.png

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Northwind---that is very exciting!  Sorry, I hope it didn't hurt.  If there was no cover nearby then it had to be thrown.  Wowser!!

If I were you and Madison, I would stay in that area for a while. Keep up the great work!

That is strange, 100 yards is a long distance. Overnight studies don't necessarily require camping. My favorite thing is dropping off audio devices to record while I'm in my warm bed.

Sure is a pretty perfect area!

• Upvote 1

I honestly cannot fathom how - if it WAS thrown by a BF - he or she could have POSSIBLY gotten that kind of distance with a throw. And yes, it hurt. But not badly. No blood. Just enough to let me know I'm alive. And since I never found the object, I can only assume it was a stone (judging by feel and the sound on my noggin).

IDK about staying there...no footprints or other sign, really. But we did see that figure duck into the tunnel. And I will rely on Madison's description of the color, since I am somewhat colorblind. She saw it as a brown figure. I thought grayish. But I often think things are gray. But both of us agree that there was no differentiation in lower body from upper. So, if it was a person, they were wearing the same color on top and bottom, which is unlikely (but possible). And yes, we found a smaller sized shoe sole imprint on the other side, and an area where he or she scrambled up. But the rest of that area appears pretty rugged and wild. 

20201017_150118.jpg

Madison5716

NorthWind's photo is of what the other side of the tunnel leads to.  We also found this structure, which was probably human built but you never know. I just have never, ever found anyone actually building these things. I know I wouldn't sit there and waste hours collecting wood and building. I'd rather go fishing! We saw several people fishing while we were driving.

20201017_122135.jpg

Maybe we should follow the creek back next time? See if there's any prints anywhere, or other questionable things. We were in such a hurry to get to the flats and look at those prints, that we didn't ever look at the creek area much.

20201017_123132.jpg

Edited by Madison5716
  • Upvote 1
17 hours ago, NorthWind said:

I honestly cannot fathom how - if it WAS thrown by a BF - he or she could have POSSIBLY gotten that kind of distance with a throw. And yes, it hurt. But not badly. No blood. Just enough to let me know I'm alive. And since I never found the object, I can only assume it was a stone (judging by feel and the sound on my noggin).

IDK about staying there...no footprints or other sign, really. But we did see that figure duck into the tunnel. And I will rely on Madison's description of the color, since I am somewhat colorblind. She saw it as a brown figure. I thought grayish. But I often think things are gray. But both of us agree that there was no differentiation in lower body from upper. So, if it was a person, they were wearing the same color on top and bottom, which is unlikely (but possible). And yes, we found a smaller sized shoe sole imprint on the other side, and an area where he or she scrambled up. But the rest of that area appears pretty rugged and wild. 

20201017_150118.jpg

Well humans have been using simple slings to hurl stones for 100's of thousands of years.   The story of Goliath recounted use of a sling.    It would not surprise me if BF has picked up on simple weapons like that.   A sling is two strings and a pouch normally that is leather and can increase the velocity of a stone many times over what can be produced by throwing it with hands.  We have many examples of BF throwing stones.  So it is not unknown for them to throw things.  Humans have typically used slings for small animals and birds. 

Edited by SWWASAS
  • Upvote 1

I've only been hit by something once.    It was a piece of stick about 6 inches long and 1 inch in diameter.     There were no trees overhead but some pretty close.   It hit going horizontally, but it was just enough to make me say "huh" and turn around in time to see it hit the ground, didn't hurt.   The speed it was moving .. was like a gentle underhand toss you'd make to a 4-5 year old kid just learning to catch .. almost dropping it into their hands.    The nearest concealment of any sort was 10-12 feet away.   Makes it kind of spooky having something that close undetected .. yet realizing if harm were intended, harm would have been done takes some of the spooky away.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
BlackRockBigfoot
20 minutes ago, MIB said:

I've only been hit by something once.    It was a piece of stick about 6 inches long and 1 inch in diameter.     There were no trees overhead but some pretty close.   It hit going horizontally, but it was just enough to make me say "huh" and turn around in time to see it hit the ground, didn't hurt.   The speed it was moving .. was like a gentle underhand toss you'd make to a 4-5 year old kid just learning to catch .. almost dropping it into their hands.    The nearest concealment of any sort was 10-12 feet away.   Makes it kind of spooky having something that close undetected .. yet realizing if harm were intended, harm would have been done takes some of the spooky away.

We had a stick covered in blue fungi come out of the treeline and pass horizontally between the two of us in the Panthertown area.  It was in plain sight...not out of the corner of my eye or anything.  It was if someone gave it an underhanded throw.  Like your description, it didn't have a lot of force behind it. No way that it fell from a tree.  

On 10/18/2020 at 4:16 AM, Madison5716 said:

Date and Time- Saturday,  October 17, 2020; 11am - 4pm 

Weather- spectacular 65°F, partly cloudy and very nice

Location - a nearby reservoir

What Happened  - NorthWind and I went out to check out the muddy banks of a local reservoir. We saw prints from the road but when we hiked down there, it was from a person and their dog. Then, further on, we saw someone/something duck back into a big drainage tunnel from across the river. This one was questionable. It most likely was a person who climbed down there and in the tunnel for some reason, but dang, it looked like a squatch from where we were. It took us 45 minutes to get over to that side of the river, and no one was there. It was a horrible hike down the embankment to get to it - big logs, gravel, rotting logs and blackberries on a steep grade. And, whomever was standing there was in 2-3 inch deep water, because we walked through the tunnel. We did find a shoe print on the other side. This was a really odd place for a person to be and it gave us a lot of trouble getting there.

The river valley above the reservoir. 

20201017_140623.jpg

The tunnel.

20201017_152553.jpg

The footprints we saw from the road 100 feet above them.

20201017_124126.jpg

Where we had lunch.

20201017_131912.jpg

Another view of the river valley from the road.

20201017_115338.jpg

Through the tunnel to the other side, maybe 100 feet?

20201017_152809.jpg

Looking out from the tunnel. 

20201017_153640.jpg

Just a very pretty area.

20201017_154332.jpg

I watched this video last night.  I was wincing watching you all walk over those rocks!  I was half expecting the video to end with a broken ankle.  

1 hour ago, MIB said:

Absolutely,  once you get to the knowing they are out there phase,   you have to deal with the realization that they are capable of taking us out any time they want to.   A thrown rock or log,   just walking up behind in the dark,   or catching us asleep in camp.   Quite honestly given what we as humans do to their habitat,   I am surprised more of us do not disappear.       My research area was apparently special to them because of at least the artesian spring,  and probably other factors,   I am quite surprised that the only harm that befell me towards the end of the clear cut logging that swept through,   was getting zapped when I got too close to one.   It probably did not want to do that but I was too close to trust me.    I certainly was there so much that the BF could have thought I had something to do with the logging.   I give them full credit for the intellegence of knowing I was not responsible.  Imagine how often they have seen the trees spray painted and marked by foresters for a timber cut and then watched the loggers taking down the trees.    I do not agree with the human rationalization that it is better for them because of the deer in logged areas.   Cover for them to hide has to be more important than a few more deer in an area.