BFF Donor

@wiiawiwb, well, you could! 

• Sésquac
BFF Donor
On 7/19/2021 at 1:45 PM, wiiawiwb said:

Gorgeous. I want go there....!!!

Would love to have ya!

On 7/10/2021 at 11:24 PM, NorthWind said:

Very rarely do we knock. When we do, it's usually when we have seen or heard nothing and are getting ready to head out of the area. Kind of a "last ditch effort" if you will.

We will occasionally whistle.

Same here.  Of course, I can’t whistle…so I have to rely on my partner.  

There are some guys in Kentucky and Tennessee who have started taking dog whistles out with them.  Not advocating that there is any use in that myself, but they say that they have gotten some results so I figured that I would throw that out there.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

dog whistles

Thanks for sharing that.   Often times I can't whistle and I can never whistle very loudly.   .. not that I've ever heard a whistle I didn't identify as a reg'lar forest critter.    Still, there's a first time for everything and the time to prepare is before, not after while you're waiting for the 2nd occurrence.   :)

MIB

• Sésquac
BFF Donor

Do you mean one of those "silent" ones?

I just got a crow call that I will play with, because I think there may be a relationship between them and the BF. 

57 minutes ago, NorthWind said:

I just got a crow call that I will play with, because I think there may be a relationship between them and the BF. 

Yeah.  They don’t wood knock, but they say that they have had responses to the dog whistles.  They just mentioned it in passing and I didn’t pay too much attention to it at the time…but, it struck me as pretty interesting later on once I thought about it.

Have you used the crow call in the field yet?

4 hours ago, MIB said:

Thanks for sharing that.   Often times I can't whistle and I can never whistle very loudly.   .. not that I've ever heard a whistle I didn't identify as a reg'lar forest critter.    Still, there's a first time for everything and the time to prepare is before, not after while you're waiting for the 2nd occurrence.   :)

MIB

Same here.  I have heard brief whistles before in the woods, but never anything that seemed overly unusual even if I couldn’t identify it.

Of course, I couldn’t define the line between a strange whistle and a normal whistle off the top of my head.

• Sésquac
BFF Donor
2 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

Have you used the crow call in the field yet?

Last weekend, just to see what would happen. I did get responses from crows once. Another time I made a call as two were passing overhead just to see the reaction. There was no reaction, they were on a mission.

• Upvote 1

Interesting story and you're following up on it soon after hearing about it. What a beautiful location and area. Breathtaking. 8 miles is a long hike for anyone. That's fantastic and you must feel great doing so.

Do you plan on doing an overnight at that location?

• Passionate Member
BFF Donor

We would like to. 

• Sésquac
BFF Donor
On 7/21/2021 at 1:12 PM, NorthWind said:

'Dog whistles' have been used by comedian Steve Martin on various skits: Johnny Carson, Carol Burnett and SNL.  He is good with a 5 string banjo and the dogs love him. He claimed to play 'Melancholy Baby' to dogs. We just don't know. If you think about dog whistles and animals, duplicating the same noises / tones may get you recognized in the animal world as the same  non-threatening human(s) who keep visiting them. The dog whistle can be your 'acoustic signature'. Or they will think that you are barking up the wrong tree. Could be fun. If you have the dog whistle in your vehicle and an obnoxious yapper dog in another vehicle is bothering you, give it the silent treatment.

Corvids and apex predators work together. Raven beaks are strong but they cannot tear a carcass apart. Birds need a carcass to be opened up by bears, cougars and other strong animals. Birds and small animals get the carrion when the big animals have had their fill. There are some sayings like: All ravens have a bear. All ravens have a cougar. All bears have ravens and all cougars have ravens. So, when the ravens are above me and squawking, they are either warning me about a predator or directing a predator to me. Ravens are spies.

Edited by Catmandoo
more text
  • Thanks 1

• Sésquac
BFF Donor
6 hours ago, Catmandoo said:

'Dog whistles' have been used by comedian Steve Martin on various skits: Johnny Carson, Carol Burnett and SNL.  He is good with a 5 string banjo and the dogs love him. He claimed to play 'Melancholy Baby' to dogs. We just don't know. If you think about dog whistles and animals, duplicating the same noises / tones may get you recognized in the animal world as the same  non-threatening human(s) who keep visiting them. The dog whistle can be your 'acoustic signature'. Or they will think that you are barking up the wrong tree. Could be fun. If you have the dog whistle in your vehicle and an obnoxious yapper dog in another vehicle is bothering you, give it the silent treatment.

Corvids and apex predators work together. Raven beaks are strong but they cannot tear a carcass apart. Birds need a carcass to be opened up by bears, cougars and other strong animals. Birds and small animals get the carrion when the big animals have had their fill. There are some sayings like: All ravens have a bear. All ravens have a cougar. All bears have ravens and all cougars have ravens. So, when the ravens are above me and squawking, they are either warning me about a predator or directing a predator to me. Ravens are spies.

Spies indeed. I am always very aware of them.

This is a great post! Thank you.

I am going to order a whistle.

spiesofsaruman.jpg

• Passionate Member
BFF Donor

Ah, NorthWind, perfect response picture, LOL. And a dog whistle sounds FUN. 

• Upvote 1

• gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic