Searching For Bigfoot in Oregon

Madison5716

• Passionate Member
BFF Donor

An overnight hiking-camping trip is on my BUCKET LIST. Done lots of camp ground camping and stealth truck camping, but I've never hiked in anywhere and camped overnight. 

So, last night, my son and I tried out my new tent, a Nemo 2p Dagger. Set it up in the dark with one headlamp - easy peasy. Easily big enough for two, with gear outside under one of the two porches. Worked great!

Also pictured is my Big Agnes sleeping pad, also great, and my Helinox Chair Zero. My sleeping bag is a Nemo, too, and wonderful. Full weight of all four items is 7 lbs. With all my other stuff, food and water, should come in at around 20 lbs. NICE.

Now, to the woods! Soon, very soon.

20210809_074959.jpg

20210809_062559.jpg

Edited by Madison5716
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations...that's exciting! At those weights, you will be backpacking light. Excellent choices with Nemo, Big Agnes, and Helinox as they all make quality products.

The Dagger is completely freestanding which is a huge benefit and has lots of netting for visibility so you can see in the night sky and also what's out in the woods. You'll sleep like a baby on your BA pad and its 3 1/4 inches of support. My backpacking buddy has the same Helinox chair, which I'm familiar, and it is sweet.

Do you have a backpack that is large enough to carry your new equipment? 

Did you get, or do you have, a footprint to go below the tent? It will protect the tent and also protect your air mat.

Here is an excellent website for all things backpacking especially when backpacking light is an objective:

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/

• Passionate Member
BFF Donor

Thanks @wiiawiwb!

I do not have a footprint yet. Am considering a Tyvek sheet.

I'll bring about 3/4 of my regular daypack items because it's what you need in the woods. Won't need the tarp or Heat Sheet and I'll collab with NorthWind on not duplicating first aid and cooking systems. 

On second thought, I won't bring the chair. I want to make this when I get to camp;

20210809_081330.jpg

• Passionate Member
BFF Donor

The Dagger was SO EASY to set up. Definitely my new favorite. Love the snap together parts. 

It all fits in the pack I use as a daypack. I'll just add back in the support stakes. If it feels like too much, I'll use my Savotta.

Edited by Madison5716

• Passionate Member
BFF Donor

It's this pack, can't remember the name. I've already packed it and it all fits. Except food, but that's only 3 meals.

20210425_085111.jpg

Edited by Madison5716
  • Thanks 1

You're all set to go Madison.  You've got a 45L pack which is a perfect size. I like the rip-stop nylon, two mesh face pockets, and hipbelt pouches.  Looks like there are also side pockets about the water bottle pockets. Lots of storage space. Very nice and thanks for sharing.

We want to hear all about your first overnight backpack adventure.

p.s.  My camp chair is a either a single log I drag into camp and sit on or, if I need to luxuriate, two round logs with a third log spanning them. Not exactly plush but it saves weight and space.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Passionate Member
BFF Donor

Well, it may be another week before I'm able to get back into the woods with NorthWind. I was exposed to a positive case of Covid on Monday. Two of my preschool kids tested positive, and possibly a third, and my classroom is all quarantined for the next two weeks. Because I'm vaccinated, I don't have to quarantine, just watch for symptoms. I'm not showing any symptoms, but I'll get tested Monday  just to be safe. So, I'm on a "wait and see" hold. I will probably get out and do some solo stuff and might post it here. I'm going to go kayaking and fishing tomorrow, at least, by myself. Anyway, things are a bit on hold. Just an update.

Oh, and I'm trying a new coffee. I'll let you know how it tastes, in my never-ending search for decent coffee while hiking and on the road when my french press stays home and isn't practical in my backpack!  Specialty Coffee Roasters - Dancing Goats® | Dancing Goats® Coffee

Thanks BFF.jpg

Edited by Madison5716
  • Like 1

• Sésquac
BFF Donor
1 minute ago, Madison5716 said:

I'm going to go kayaking

What type of floatation vest / jacket do you have?

Mine is inflatable.

• Passionate Member
BFF Donor
3 minutes ago, Catmandoo said:

What type of floatation vest / jacket do you have?

Just a regular jacket. I have too many expenses to buy one of the neat ones yet! It's on the list. Truck needs tires, there's a couple road trips planned and we need winter clothes first. I also have my eye on a serious, nice kayak for the spring/next summer and an inflatable, 3-lb boat for backpacking up to the alpine lakes we get to occassionally up in the Cascades. This is just my little WalMart sit-upon kayak. It'll do for playing around, but not for anything serious. Just for fun and some close to the beach fishing amusement.

Edited by Madison5716

• Passionate Member
BFF Donor

Tried three lakes before settling onto this one. Not too cold, not too big, not too busy... just right.

Only thing wrong was that it's a fly fishing only lake and I counted three fish jumping to laugh at me in the hour that I paddled happily. Just wait, my pretties :)

i really want to get to the far side and poke around. But, it was starting to sprinkle rain, and it was a long paddle. Next time on a sunny day!

20210821_122925.jpg

20210821_120112.jpg

20210821_120900.jpg

Edited by Madison5716
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Passionate Member
BFF Donor

Sunrise over the covered bridge in Lowell, OR, on our way to camp at Gold Lake for a shake down test of our gear before next week's adventure. 

IMG_20210829_191008_936.jpg

• Upvote 2

Pretty.   My first thought when you said below Diamond Peak was Timpanogas ... if you haven't been there, y' .. gotta.   Beautiful.   It's like Todd Lake over on Century Drive, iconic.    I don't know if the Rigdon road is open or not though with the fires.

• FMT
BFF Donor
20 hours ago, Madison5716 said:

Me trying my hand at fly fishing for the first time. The fish were quite safe.

output_image1630277249399.jpg

Wow!

Come clean Madison, which magazine did you lift the picture from?  :) 

• Upvote 2

• Sésquac
BFF Donor
36 minutes ago, gigantor said:

Wow!

21 hours ago, Madison5716 said:

Me trying my hand at fly fishing for the first time. The fish were quite safe.

output_image1630277249399.jpg

37 minutes ago, gigantor said:

Wow!

As the photographer, I'll take that as a compliment. :)

My favorite photo is this one that she took...WOW!

20210828_194405.jpg

• Upvote 2

• gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic