Searching For Bigfoot in Oregon

Madison5716

• Passionate Member
BFF Donor

@Madison5716 take care of yourself! Hope you feel better soon.

• Thanks 1

• Passionate Member
BFF Donor

It's snowing! Guess we won't be in the mountains for a while. And it'll be gorgeous once we do!

20211226_091151.jpg

• Like 2

I'm glad you got your snow wish that you post in the field trips section. I'm stuck in the house with a case of breakthrough covid even though I am fully vaccinated. I hope it sticks around long enough that I will get to play with the grand kids.

• Sad 1

• Passionate Member
BFF Donor
6 hours ago, Doug said:

I'm glad you got your snow wish that you post in the field trips section. I'm stuck in the house with a case of breakthrough covid even though I am fully vaccinated. I hope it sticks around long enough that I will get to play with the grand kids.

Sorry to hear about the Covid, Doug! Hope it's mild for you!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Passionate Member
BFF Donor

I found what MIGHT be tracks in the snow today in an area where we've found tracks before, but I'm not sure. Some were definitely footprints, but it was too melty to make any more definitive decisions and my photos don't do them justice. I hope to investigate further next weekend, possibly. 

On a good note, I finally got back in the woods after weeks of being cooped up over the holidays with pneumonia. Hooray!

Edited by Madison5716
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

It must be exciting to be back out in the woods and to have pneumonia in the rear-view mirror. If you keep pictures of the prints, you might be able to compare them to other prints you find in the future or found in the past.  Your own footprint library.

Simple pleasures, such as having hot cocoa outdoors in the winter, are sometimes the best. Keep up the good work!

• Upvote 1

• Moderators

I like the wooden mug. I'll bet it makes the hot cocoa taste better. ;)

• Passionate Member
BFF Donor
10 hours ago, OkieFoot said:

I like the wooden mug. I'll bet it makes the hot cocoa taste better. ;)

It's a kuska from Uberleben. and a gift from my sister - so it's awesome and special.

Everything tastes better if it's cooked in the woods! I may be going out this weekend. I scavenged wood limbs from an oak tree at my preschool that fell onto the parking lot in a windstorm and I'll be cutting those to size and making a cook fire out of them. Multipurpose! Clean up the parking lot AND cook my lunch. Cool!

• Moderators
On 1/14/2022 at 12:11 AM, Madison5716 said:

It's a kuska from Uberleben. and a gift from my sister - so it's awesome and special.

Everything tastes better if it's cooked in the woods! I may be going out this weekend. I scavenged wood limbs from an oak tree at my preschool that fell onto the parking lot in a windstorm and I'll be cutting those to size and making a cook fire out of them. Multipurpose! Clean up the parking lot AND cook my lunch. Cool!

If kuska items are from Finland or Sweden, I'm pretty sure I've seen them before on the internet. As I remember, what I was looking at one time were different wooden utensils such as ladles, mugs, cups, spoons etc., made for camping from wood in Scandinavia.

I've always thought wooden items like that have character to them since someone made them by hand. That's what made me notice the mug. Just make sure you don't accidentally knock it into the camp fire. ;)

Things always do taste better in the woods. Traipse around all day getting dirty and probably wet, maybe going up and over a mountain, then returning back to camp. It's great to start a fire, make a hot drink, and prepare a simple meal for dinner that will taste like it was from Daniel's in Manhattan.

I like to make a tea from fresh cedar needles/leaves and add dried star anise, cinnamon, and ginger that I bring with me.  For those who haven't compared, here is a good summary of the different tastes of cedar, pine, fir, and spruce.

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Sésquac
BFF Donor

I'd try it - save for the anise. I hate licorice flavor intensely.