Trail Camera - Bigfoot, Demon, or What???

Old Time Lifter

I don't think there is any magic or paranormal involved, but I do think bigfoot can generally see cameras and can hear them.   

1) I have a couple friends whose hearing is a bit better than mine who can hear a whine as the capacitors charge up to power the flash.    Short range, but they do hear it.  

2) I did an experiment with my trail cameras.   I set two up facing each other in the dark, then tripped them so I could see what they look like under infared light.   The are black cubes, no sign of camo at all.   Makes sense since I.R. pictures are of differences in heat, not in differences of color.   And if BF sees into the I.R. range, waves a bit longer than we see, which I already have first hand experiential evidence of, then likely they see the cameras as weird black rectangles on tree trunks too.

3) Another thing people foolishly ignore is deployment.    Generally we set up game cameras looking at open spaces waiting for deer to walk in front of them.    We don't usually set up cameras in heavy brush because the moving brush triggers pictures, sometimes thousands, when there's no critter involved.    The bigfoots, at least those near me, stayed concealed even in dark which means they were not standing / lurking in the kind of places hunters would set up cameras.    I do not expect much in the way of incidental bigfoot pictures on cameras set up for deer.  If you want pictures of bigfoot on a camera you have to set it up FOR BIGFOOT.    That means those millions of hunters' cameras ... are a red herring argument.   The only ones that count are the ones 'footers put out, understanding 'foot habits (which we really don't, we only hope we do), in places there are actually bigfoots.

In other words, of the fifty eleven bazillion trail cams out there, only about 3 are in useful places.   The rest .. so far as bigfoot, are a waste of batteries.

IMHO.

MIB

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Excellent post, MIB, I think that's the real reason so many game cameras capture everything BUT Sasquatch. A couple of years ago I helped a visiting researcher deploy about a dozen game cams (he has way more disposable income than I do) along a mountain trail in our research area. All he got photos of were us coming and going during setup/retrieval, and a couple of deer. As you point out, placing them where our intended target probably are is very counterproductive due to motion and shadows in the brushy areas.

8 hours ago, Incorrigible1 said:

It's like magic,  I tell you.

BTW, this is one of the things that cause my eyes to roll back.

What are specifically referring to?

On 1/11/2019 at 5:33 PM, Old Time Lifter said:

What are specifically referring to?

The big foot is never caught on a trail camera that they can sniff them out.

Edited by norseman

On 1/11/2019 at 2:42 PM, MIB said:

3) Another thing people foolishly ignore is deployment.    Generally we set up game cameras looking at open spaces waiting for deer to walk in front of them.    We don't usually set up cameras in heavy brush because the moving brush triggers pictures, sometimes thousands, when there's no critter involved. 

I have had the wind- moving brush in sunlight syndrome. I set my motion trigger sensitivity to high though.  Triggered thousands of images. I like dark forest with thick over story but that scenario swallows IR flash.  I need to work on my Trailmaster TM550 passive IR triggers. I would have to have my trail cameras retro fitted for external triggers. I do not believe that the Trailmaster units would trigger on brush movement. They have automatic gain control for daily temperature changes. The plastic housing does not absorb odors. This will be a good project for 2019.

Sasquatch hunt deer so they must go where deer go.  In the past, I set my trailcam near small bogs or tiny ponds where animals go to drink.  This year, I will experiment with moving water and creeks. Fewer creatures will go to it for water but it slows them, or a sasquatch, a bit as they leap across the creek to cross it.

On 11/25/2018 at 3:30 PM, NatFoot said:

Looks more Bigfoot than a demon.

But I've never seen one so who I am to give an opinion.

Have seen a ghost...hope it wasn't a demon!

I tend to agree its a bf

I’ve turned on a surefire flashlight and held it up to my hear, I can hear an ever so slight buzz

also most Sasquatches associate anything unnatural with human  activity in th area.  Roads, telephone poles, right angles etc.

On 1/11/2019 at 2:42 PM, MIB said:

Another thing people foolishly ignore is deployment

I am no researcher, but I am attentive to those that are and this line struck me as brilliant, yet common sense. Wondering of the number of people using this tech to seek bigfoot, just how many of them are placing cameras in areas where people imagine an unknown biped to travel and and how many of them consider the movements of other forest dwellers like bear, tigers, elephants, and apes/primates (stealthy animals) as they select sites to place cameras? Good post MIB.   

This might be helpful for people wanting to use trail cameras. 

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/262185326_Recommended_guiding_principles_for_reporting_on_camera_trapping_research

This group does very good work with them using mostly volunteers:

https://www.conservationnw.org/our-work/wildlife/wildlife-monitoring/

When I've used trail cams I target edge habitat, established trails or game trails (I'm not looking for bigfoot though). I would think game trails near water sources would be a good place or possibly some type of seasonal fruit/berry patches. If bigfoot is a real animal it might be in more dense forest off trail when people are around but that does not mean they stay there when people are not around. Many large mammals (not all) typically use game trails for getting from one place to another. 

I

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...
Guest Axolotl

That deers ear looks like it might have a tag on it. Looking at the picture I dont see a large creature and all there is are two close set round shapes in front of a dark outline of a stump, tree, bush etc. Its not clear enough to make out but it looks like not much at all.

It looks like it's just a reflection off of the rock. A similar white shine is visible on the right side of the photo also.