Stable boy kit

norseman

Norseman, Henry Weinhard had a TV commercial in 1989. The setting was in a bar,  McCord Creek, Oregon, 1882. There is a 'seer' in the back of the bar who proclaims that in a hundred years, only little girls will ride horses. I think it is edited and the original version was 'women and little girls will ride horses.

I think you should start a poll to count how many forum members have been on a horse.  I have.

I did on my uncle’s horse as a kid, and again for a week at a Boy Scout camp (I spent the whole week at the stables and rifle range).

After joining the Army? I don’t think I’ve ridden a horse since.

Horse is a knowing animal. If you piss off/insult the owner, the horse will bite you or bump you. Have braeburn apples. If you secretly have a braeburn in your coat pocket, you had better give it up.

2 hours ago, NCBFr said:

Been on a horse.  Never again.  Butt and knees just cannot take it.  I am happy to walk thank you.

You could have test rode a jeep instead of a caddie. Plus the saddle was not built for you.

I hear this all the time....

If it hurts? Your doin it wrong.

12 hours ago, Catmandoo said:

Norseman, Henry Weinhard had a TV commercial in 1989. The setting was in a bar,  McCord Creek, Oregon, 1882. There is a 'seer' in the back of the bar who proclaims that in a hundred years, only little girls will ride horses. I think it is edited and the original version was 'women and little girls will ride horses.

I think you should start a poll to count how many forum members have been on a horse.  I have.

Plenty of men still mounted on ranch stock and work cattle the old way.

Less stress on the cattle, and no need for a central expensive pens and squeeze chute apparatus.

I would have loved having horses and pack stock here for hunting, and have a property which would have worked for it, but I just couldn’t justify the time, expense, and work required. And now I’m too old for it. :fie:

Your not too old. Just got to find the right mount.

Probably an Amish trained saddle mule. Super gentle and super sure footed.

Alaska though is tough for livestock. And feed aint cheap. Plus bogs and swamps....

They would do good for you in the mountains.

24 minutes ago, norseman said:

Your not too old. Just got to find the right mount.

Probably an Amish trained saddle mule. Super gentle and super sure footed.........

E-or would be about right for me.

.......Alaska though is tough for livestock. And feed aint cheap. Plus bogs and swamps....

They would do good for you in the mountains.

In my younger days I was primarily a moose hunter, and mostly in lowlands. It wasn’t ideal for stock. Later, as the valley got inundated with people, I focused more on caribou in the mountains. By then I had good ATVs.

My neighbor was a PE teacher, so was working during moose season. But he wa# off in August when sheep season opened, and was super fit. He became sheep hunter extraordinaire........almost legendary. As he aged, and about the time we moved in near him, he got three mules to pack for him. His wife hated them, but we thought they were cool. It ultimately didn’t work out as he hoped. In time, jerks on ATVs follows his stock trail and turned that portions of the mountains into an ATV superhighway.

7 hours ago, norseman said:

You could have test rode a jeep instead of a caddie. Plus the saddle was not built for you.

I hear this all the time....

On the butt, yes you are right.  Not so sure on the knees.  Just cant wrap the left one around the girth.  Happy to walk and carry a heavy load.

Need a thin build horse or mule versus a quarter horse or stocky horse.

It really is night and day. And tough to judge based on one ride.

My saddle has semi quarter horse bars. Its a happy medium. And doesnt fit super wide horses well.

Mules are usually much narrower than a horse too. As a rule of thumb.

I’ve never ridden a camel. I’m not much of a fan of the camels/llamas. I’ve always had the impression that they make donkeys and mules look sweet and nice. I expect to get a wad of spit in the face.

Then one day at the Alaska Zoo with my daughter a Bactrian camel (the Mongolian twin humped variety) ran up to me like she was in heat. She stretched her neck out and put her lips as close to my face as I let her. We were amazed. A zookeeper came and said that it was my white beard that made me look like a former zookeeper that she loved. The experience makes me want to change my attitude, but I still seem to distrust them.

I know that people and horses can create bonds of true love like dogs and people can do. Apparently camels and people can, too..........sometimes.

In the winter where I live there are horses allowed on the beach. On a weekend with nice days there will be as many as a dozen riders in various size groups. I have seen a group with as much as eight riders in it. Oh, and o part of the topic? No guys on horseback. All women, young and old. We trained our Golden Retriever to sit and watch them go by from the time he was a pup. Off lead he never bothers them but I have seen some dogs pester the riders at times. One rider took her horse into the surf and the dog gave up.