SasquatchWookie

Sasquatch or porcupine???

gigantor

I'm gonna say that the leg proportions are incorrect.

SasquatchWookie
12 minutes ago, gigantor said:

I'm gonna say that the leg proportions are incorrect.

I agree.  The legs are too stumpy.  I believe it is a real animal.  Probably a porcupine, close to the trail cam when the photo was taken.

Here is a photo of a porcupine walking on it's hind legs.

zbOiSpV.thumb.jpg.d513cf761c7ef7e8ce9a027f79a73712.jpg

SWWASAS

If the owner of the trail cam is to be believed, the camera was mounted about 4 feet above the ground.       Whatever it was had to have been taller than that to get the perspective of the photograph.      I don't think porcupines get over 4 feet tall.   Lot of blurring in the photograph presumably due to motion of the subject.     It has what looks like frost but the picture was supposedly taken in June.   Not many places in the lower 48 frost in June unless at very high elevations.    I did not think porcupines were that cute in the picture of one.    Looks like a teddy bear or something.  

Catmandoo

This is a theatrical presentation. 13-1/2 minutes long and the picture is displayed for what.....1 minute?  At 9:45 the time stamp is displayed and this is from 2015. The actor computer modified the image. The subject is walking on leaves and the bottom of the foot is impossible to view but the actor places the subject in the mammalian family due to an arch structure of the foot. Amazing. Awesome. There is nothing to scale/size the subject. I have been told of a 'trophy size' porcupine that is not too far from me. I should find it. I like to mess with porcupines. To calm them down, rub their tummy. They like that. A salt lick is good. 

David NC

Golden valley North Carolina, no porcupines there. Can porcupines move fast enough on 2 legs thru a camera area to cause a blurr ?

Catmandoo

Computer modified image with very poor resolution. Looks like it was made with MS Paint. No details on camera settings. Looks like a white flash type. The subject is walking through a deep layer of leaves but you can't tell what the ground cover is.

No conclusions except blobsquatch.

Sure about the porcupine range?

Edited by Catmandoo

David NC
1 hour ago, Catmandoo said:

Sure about the porcupine range?

Porcupines have been sighted in West Virginia and Virginia in the higher mountains. This would mean they are spreading down the Appalachian mountain chain in the higher elevations. South mountain they refer to in the video is separated from the main uplift of the Apalachian chain by about 80 miles. The area they refer to is 10 miles as the crow flies from where my experiences were.

Lee et al. (1982, p. 7) state that "There is some reason to suspect that the Porcupine and Fisher may have once occurred in the mountainous portions of North Carolina, but their presence in historic times cannot be substantiated." Kellogg (1939), in an "Annotated List of Tennessee Mammals", says "Mercer ... found the dried feces and quills of a porcupine in Bigbone Cave near Elroy, Van Buren County, Tenn. During the recent rearrangement of the mammal collection in the National Museum, a left mandible of an immature porcupine labeled as coming from 'a Tennessee cave', but with no other data, was found." Linzey (1995) says "Hall (1981) indicated that its range may extend through the mountains as far south as the Smokies. Jawbones of porcupines have been recovered from archaelogical [sic] sites west of Chattanooga in Marion County, Tennessee".

Thus, though there is some evidence that Porcupines might have occupied the mountains of Tennessee into the 19th Century, there seems to be nothing on record of even sightings from North Carolina, much less reports of specimens or carcasses.

Doug
3 hours ago, Catmandoo said:

This is a theatrical presentation. 13-1/2 minutes long and the picture is displayed for what.....1 minute?  At 9:45 the time stamp is displayed and this is from 2015. The actor computer modified the image. The subject is walking on leaves and the bottom of the foot is impossible to view but the actor places the subject in the mammalian family due to an arch structure of the foot. Amazing. Awesome. There is nothing to scale/size the subject. I have been told of a 'trophy size' porcupine that is not too far from me. I should find it. I like to mess with porcupines. To calm them down, rub their tummy. They like that. A salt lick is good. 

And, if you scratch their foreheads long enough they make a purring like sound.

Patterson-Gimlin

Thanks for sharing. I have seen lots of blobsquatches. This is the first time I ever saw a blobporcupine. 

SWWASAS

There are so many problems with that picture I cannot even imagine how it ended up being imaged.   Just the leaf images in the upper left could only be there if a hurricane force wind was in progress blowing leaves up to the height of the critter.     If there was that much wind you would see the hair/fur blowing on the subject.     I do not recall any BF drawings that have that extent of back hair or fur.    They write it  off as subject movement but the streaks are in the wrong direction.    Rather than down as in the photo motion streaks would be horizontal.    Just too many issues that are not explainable to be credible.    The most likely thing is that it is a a porcupine.   

David NC

The leaves are not blown up they are growing on regrowth of a stump were the original tree was cut. Most of them are tulip tree shoots, here in NC most people just call them a poplar tree even though they are not a poplar. The Tulip tree (yellow poplar/tulip poplar are other common names) is actually in the Magnolia family. The true poplar tree is in the Willow family.The adult size of the leaf is about 6", this could give you a measuring stick for further measurements.This picture seems to be from a cleared out spot in a clear cut. The trees all around are saplings. In North Carolina it is legal to bait for deer on private land. A good place to setup a stand over a bait area is in the middle of a cut over that has grown back. The deer feel more relaxed and more likely to visit during daylight in the security of heavy cover. A lot of people here do not use feeders like in Texas. They just spread corn or apples around an area by hand and set a stand downwind at a distance that gives them a good shot with whatever they are hunting with.

The motion blur is really weird. If this is a baited area that had corn spread around by hand then could the blur motion be in line with the individual squatted down picking up corn when it hears the camera and the blur is it jumping up and running forward at the same time?

SasquatchWookie

One thing that gives me pause about this is they not visit the area where the photo was taken.  Why not?  That would be the first thing I would want to see for scale.

David NC

Good question. In the video they said it was private property when the photo was taken but is now part of the game lands, so there should be no problem going there. You would just have to leave the rifles in the truck.

norseman

If its a porker? Where is the tail?

IMG_1316.PNG