Where Are The Sasquatches In The OP??

hiflier

Excellent post, SAS. I do strongly suspect that if you shoot one and bring it in, you will be revealed, and you will be persecuted to an unknown degree. That is just one of the reasons why I no longer wish to offensively kill one. However, I strongly wish to see them, and as much as possible, and there is no crime in that whatsoever. I am experienced in observing other North American predators without having to kill one defensively, too. But if a sasquatch attacked me, or gave me stalked me at night, I’d shoot it defensively in a heartbeat.Then I’d have no problem bringing it in to Meldrum, introducing myself, shake his hand, and give him a gift. 

BFF Patron

It is gettng to the point in Oregon and Washington that any self defense with a gun more than likely than not  results in charges against the person defending themselves.   Just yesterday two armed citizens got into a shootout with someone that stole merchandise from a store.    The thief tried to run over one of the citizens and they shot out two of the car tires.    The thief abandoned the car and got caught but the police were looking for the citizen shooters.    You can be sure they will be charged if found.   The patrons of the store were more afraid of the armed people than they were the thief.  The citizen shooters did not exactly follow the law.   They might have been wise to just slip away.   

11 minutes ago, SWWASAS said:

.........The citizen shooters did not exactly follow the law.   They might have been wise to just slip away.   

Yeah, if it wasn’t their store, screw it. Let the store owner work it out with the insurance company. I’m not a cop, and don’t want to be.

I think I’d do well with a jury of my peers in the defensive shooting of a sasquatch, especially if I enthusiastically passed a polygraph. I would imagine the notoriety would suck, but I already don’t like the bleeding heart environmental types, anyway. I wonder what the book deal would net me?.......LOL.........

BFF Patron

Smedja did pretty well on talk shows until Sykes got ahold of his tissue sample and it turned out to be bear.   Sometimes I wonder if what he did was real and someone or something picked up the bodies leaving a bear carcus to find later.  

While what I carry is not likely to bring down a BF I sure am not going down without a fight if a BF attacks me.   I figure it will suffer a lot longer than I would if I get several shots into it before it tosses my head like a bowling ball.  

One shot into the boiler room will eventually kill him.

The Smedja event goes to show that even if you panic and leave the scene, don’t do so with nothing. In his storyline, a baby sasquatch within a hundred yards of the truck would have been a huge coup. You could take the whole thing and transport it easily.

BFF Patron

I am willing to bet 100 dollars that BF haul off their dead if they are aware one of them has died.    Smedjas bodies could have been carried off by the local BF themselves.   That level of care for the dead is problematic though.   It means they care if one of them is killed by some human.    With grief probably comes revenge.     I remember sitting and watching a red tailed hawk attack several pigeons.     It swooped in,   picked off one of the pigeons with a huge puff of feathers.  Then that hawk sat and ate the one it killed and the other pigeons just sat within feet and watched.    Those pigeons,  showed no remorse and if they displayed anything,   they were glad that it was not them being eaten.   But they did not care enough even to move away.  

I hit an Arctic tern while depriving my Railroad speeder many years ago. I stopped, put my hard hat on like a good railroade, got out, and walked back to its body laying between the rails.

WHAM!   It’s mate had attacked me, hitting my hard hat, and screaming! It drove me running back to my speeder, waving my arms. Then I backed the speeder up to the carcass, and it attacked the speeder.

I left before he hurt himself, and I felt pretty bad about it.........

Apparently, you don’t have to be a higher order mammal to have enough love to fight for your dead.

Edited to add:

I wanted to point out that the first signs of human spirituality or religious ritual was burial of the dead, @ 100,000 years ago..........

Edited by Huntster

On 12/24/2018 at 1:40 PM, Huntster said:

I hit an Arctic tern while depriving my Railroad speeder many years ago...........

I swear, I absolutely hate spell check software........

• gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • 1 month later...
On 12/14/2018 at 8:08 PM, MIB said:

All that is demonstrably missing are PUBLISHED reports by BFRO.    Everything else is assumption ... mostly faulty.   

MIB

I have not read through the majority of the thread but I wanted to share a few notes that are related to the report modeling folks are working on.   

I will start with saying that there is no sign that reports are on a rapid decline, the shows like Monsterquest and Finding Bigfoot helped generate the report waves.   Sasquatch related TV has been settling down and so report volumes also drop.   This does not really indicate that less people are running into Sasquatch.  I suppose with hunting participation rates on the decline there is some room for this suggestion but not in relation to the report numbers we currently have. 

The database has many reports that have yet to be published or even looked into, here on the west coast we have less active BFRO members than we did 10 years ago.   We have gotten fairly backed up due to the lower member count and the report backlog.  I have been looking at the reports in the OP range and it is still very active. 

Great news for a skeptic's ears. Reports are dropping now that the main BF shows are dropping off TV.

Can't say that people no longer know where to go to report a sighting. Everyone can access the internet and Google.

Bigfoot shows generate false reports. That’s just a fact if life, it fits the science, and that’s okay. 

Bigfoot has been around a lot longer than TV has.

57 minutes ago, NatFoot said:

Great news for a skeptic's ears. Reports are dropping now that the main BF shows are dropping off TV.

Can't say that people no longer know where to go to report a sighting. Everyone can access the internet and Google.

Sorry,  Sasquatch is not running around north america in the hundreds of thousands as Bigfoot stories would suggest.   The truth is that when the shows run we get loads of garbage reports.

The show however does bring out a few folks ( who have had real experiences ) who maybe don't go online normally to look at Bigfoot stuff ( like the 65 year old elk hunter who happened to see that his grand kids watch Finding Bigfoot during his visit  << true story by the way ), the show starts conversation and gets people to think and if we are lucky, report what happened.  It is just as Hunster said above.

3 hours ago, NathanFooter said:

The database has many reports that have yet to be published or even looked into, here on the west coast we have less active BFRO members than we did 10 years ago.   We have gotten fairly backed up due to the lower member count and the report backlog.  I have been looking at the reports in the OP range and it is still very active. 

Why is there a decline in active BFRO members? are there members out there that are just not interested and have given up on the quest of investigating this creature ? It just seems odd that there are reports coming in but a decline on investigators.

1 minute ago, ShadowBorn said:

Why is there a decline in active BFRO members? are there members out there that are just not interested and have given up on the quest of investigating this creature ? It just seems odd that there are reports coming in but a decline on investigators.

To be honest, many have suffered from a lack of success and as result gone Woo ( a free ticket out for the brain when you have done everything and still come out with nothing ), they no longer not see the need to chase reports or data.  They think they can have a habituation site in the side yard next to the bird feeder.  

If they have not gone Woo then they simply drop the subject out of frustration, doing anything for 8 to 10 years with no direct success can eat at a person.  They come in with preconceived notions about how things are going to happen and become disappointed.  Failure is the biggest blow in this subject and eventually wipes away almost every name under the title of researcher.

The truth is these are not creatures you can just go find and film.  They are likely very rare, fear human contact and just plain don't hold a position in any given place long enough to be advanced upon. People have a hard time grasping that something is better at the game then they are.  The fear of failure or being wrong is the only thing that keeps money and time from this subject. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

I think it is better that those not committed to the search DO drop off. Get them out of the woods and reduce the traffic for those who are willing to find the time and energy to do so. Victory doesn't always come immediately. You chip away at it and seize even the tiniest of victories.  A partial impression in the ground in an off-trail area, a noise at night you can't attach to anything known, disturbances in vegetation on a faint game trail, and more. You build on it.

I wish for fewer people out there not more, so the reduction in active BFRO members in the field is music to my ears.

• Upvote 1