Sign in to follow this  
gigantor

SSR + Google Earth

gigantor

This thread is to explore the possibilities of using SSR results and Goodle Earth. If you have an idea or know of other layers that are useful, please post them here. I'm using Colorado to try things out.

Terrain. Built into Google Earth. Layers ---> Terrain.

co.jpg

NASA "Earth City Lights" Layer. Built into Google Earth. Layers ---> Gallery ---> NASA ---> Earth City Lights

co-nl.jpg

gigantor

Elk Trails.  The State of Colorado Parks & Wildlife Department provides Google Earth layers (KMZ Maps) for native wildlife. They include:

Migration Corridors, Overall Range, Production Area, Resident Population, Severe Winter, Summer Concentration, Summer Range, Winter Concentration, Winter Range

I want to point out that there are ZERO sightings outside of Elk habitat.

co-elk.jpg

If we zoom in, notice that most sightings are very near an Elk trail or high concentration area.

co-elkz1.jpg

Of Course you can "fly" around, zoom in and out, etc.

co-elkz2.jpg

In addition to Elk data maps, the State also provides maps for Bighorn Sheep, Turkey,  Black Bear,  Quail, Grouse, Geese, Moose, Goat, Deer, Pronghorn, Mouse and other wildlife.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

NatFoot
BFF Donor

You da man!

wiiawiwb

Great work Gigantor!  I'm not sure we'd find similar results with deer in parts of the country where there are no elk.  Deer are happier near a farmer's field than in thick mountains woods.

Edited by wiiawiwb

MIB
9 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

Deer are happier near a farmer's field than in thick mountains woods.

Not too sure that is correct.   I've hunted thick mountain woods for over 40 years with great success.    I suspect it is more a matter of hunters being more comfortable with landmarks like farmer's fields than they are getting out into thick mountain woods.

MIB

bipedalist
BFF Donor

Gotta think a happy mtn deer is adept where it is adapted.  I have had them run down a mtn snorting thinking what is that?   Head cocked straight up?  Seen them walking on tiptoes and hunched over on adjoining ridges like a coyote trying to avoid detection with me going up and them going down and all things in between.   Bambi legends die hard!

bipedalist
BFF Donor

Good work gigantor some of the Colorado Springs work looks alot like BobbyO's theories way back when.

BobbyO
SSR Team

This brings back memories..;)

Yeah this is very cool.

I purchased Google Earth Overlays from a hunting website 15 or so years ago before the SSR after looking in to the fall off of reports around Colorado Springs, see the clusters there ?

Anyway, that's what interested me, as the reports literally got up and moved 100 miles or so to the west in the following years, they even went down the Platte River (South if i remember right) in date order.

Then came across these Elk and Mule Deer (purchased both) migration paths which all of the newer Reports were literally right on top of.

Thanks for sharing this anyway G..;)

BobbyO
SSR Team

I'd like to add this website, it gives us Watershed layers of all major US Watershed's and excellent Creek/Stream info.

https://edna.usgs.gov/watersheds/kml_index.htm

Currently trying to put time in to a project on the PNW and looking to tie up a correlation of reports > headwaters, and as you can see with the Middle Klamath here, so long as we are happy with geo location of the reports, we may be on to something, maybe.

MidKla.jpg

• Upvote 1