Best Footprints

Patterson-Gimlin

8 hours ago, Patterson-Gimlin said:

Best part would be hanging out with you. A man's man. Perhaps we might even stumble upon the creature. You shoot. I Will drag my distant cousin out. 

You can hang out with me anytime. And Im not anything special. Huntster is the guy killing Caribou in the arctic circle! ;)

7 hours ago, Patterson-Gimlin said:

I have seen this video 

Not impressed. No one has been there and yet they are there filming 

Soft snow. Easy to fabricate. 

Yes we are. Actually I am 7 '1".lol 

But its not! Deep snow is the devil.

3 hours ago, norseman said:

....... Huntster is the guy killing Caribou in the arctic circle! ;)

Actually, I live a good 500 miles south of the Arctic Circle. My caribou hunting valley is in the northern Talkeetna Mountains which is still south of the Alaska Range. It’s like the Banana Belt here! Go, Global Warming!

6 hours ago, Huntster said:

Actually, I live a good 500 miles south of the Arctic Circle. My caribou hunting valley is in the northern Talkeetna Mountains which is still south of the Alaska Range. It’s like the Banana Belt here! Go, Global Warming!

Very impressive. 

Here is a North Dakota BF snow track story from December-2017.

The witness claims he sent pictures to Meldrum for his opinion and he replied that the pictures were promising.  Not sure promising of what? 

On 12/21/2018 at 3:16 AM, BC witness said:

My "best" is the 1982 Grays Harbour cast that Thomas Steenburg has in his possession. It was made by a deputy sherriff answering a prowler call, and has incredible detail, including some visible dermal ridges. I'll try to find a photo to attach. 

For me the Greys Harbor is the best cast ever taken. That along with the facts leading up to finding the trackway. And the background of the individual who took the casts.

6FDF20A7-2052-42E2-AA2A-0962E4A5A953.png

• gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • 3 weeks later...

Looks like a lot of snow accumulation currently over much of the NW... do active investigations ramp up to look for tracks during conditions such as this?

nsm_depth_2019021505_National.jpg

• Upvote 1

• gigantor featured this topic

Yes and no.  Currently, the avalanche danger is very high. If you want to follow the risk, we have the NW Avanche Center to scare us:

https://www.nwac.us/

I do not have a snow machine. I have snowshoes. Currently, 'post holing' would make for slow progress and I have a large set for more float.  The only tracks that I have seen while on snowshoes in the past were bear, deer, snow shoe hare, cougar and bobcat/lynx. Due to budget  cuts, many roads are not plowed and  are accessible when the snow melts. With minimum plowing, finding a place to park can be difficult. They will tow you.

We are due for more snow.  I may have to wait until March.  Avalanche warnings have been issued late spring.

• Upvote 2

^^^^^ Snow:

I think that the snow pack will cover the drinking water demand for the rest of the year.

Search and Rescue is on stanby for the near term.

We always get the 'dudes' who want to ski/snowboard in the back country. Some of them will be found when the snow melts.

Snow machines can bring down a slab of snow.

On 12/28/2018 at 10:42 AM, Huntster said:

The most complete database possible of reports is critical. It is the only tool that can provide patterns, trends, and information, since scientific data is unavailable. The BFRO database includes investigators looking into new reports, so there is at least some kind of filter that might weed out intentional hoaxes or clear misidentifications.

I've just now tuned into this thread so you'll have to pardon me for being really late to the party. I agree a database is good at providing evidence of patterns, trends, etc. I don't want to steer this away from footprints but an example is when you look through the many BFRO reports of actual sightings, there are very similar descriptions of what a witness saw. And these are from people that are in different parts of the country, don't know each other, and are from different time periods. Plus, when the amount of reports number in the few thousands, it becomes much more difficult to just dismiss them as fabricated stories or misidentifications. Some yes, but not thousands.

Is this a fair question? I'm not sure if this could apply to BFRO investigators but could an experienced BF investigator begin to tel, or at least suspect, if a witness is making up their alleged "sighting"? I'm referring to a witness with some detail in their story. 

12 minutes ago, OkieFoot said:

I've just now tuned into this thread so you'll have to pardon me for being really late to the party. I agree a database is good at providing evidence of patterns, trends, etc. I don't want to steer this away from footprints but an example is when you look through the many BFRO reports of actual sightings, there are very similar descriptions of what a witness saw. And these are from people that are in different parts of the country, don't know each other, and are from different time periods. Plus, when the amount of reports number in the few thousands, it becomes much more difficult to just dismiss them as fabricated stories or misidentifications. Some yes, but not thousands.

Is this a fair question? I'm not sure if this could apply to BFRO investigators but could an experienced BF investigator begin to tel, or at least suspect, if a witness is making up their alleged "sighting"? I'm referring to a witness with some detail in their story. 

This was always the point made by a previous member, DWA, albeit in a somewhat off-putting fashion.

I find it compelling, but I think what we need to ask are the following questions:

1 - Is there a real consistency?

2 - What counts as consistency/inconsistency?

3 - How can we measure it (e.g., degree of consistency, percentage of sightings that are consistent)

4 - What mechanisms could account for this apparent consistency (e.g., organized society of hoaxers, hoaxers with access to the internet, shared delusion, ...., a real species,  anything else.)

This seems to me to be suitable for a thread on its own.

This isn't necessarily the best footprint but it's one that intrigues me because of three things shown in the track, plus a fourth interesting item shown in the picture. I've posted it before with a few more arrows, probably over a year or two ago; I think it's one of the BCM tracks that BH had posted on here in the past.

1. The yellow arrow and the blue line above the yellow arrow point to where the mid portion of the foot appears to slope very slightly downward, which makes the mid portion a little bit deeper than the rear portion. You can see this the picture. 

2. You can see how the toes dug into the soil. It's the deepest portion of the track.

3. Right behind the toes, the dirt has been pushed up.

I don't remember the length of the track. To me, the track had to have been made by a flexible foot. Now, as far as the track being made by a human foot; this is where the 4th item comes in. The white arrows point to a human boot print only about a foot away that barely made an impression, while the track above the tape measure dug much deeper into the soil. The only thing about the human boot print that made an impression was the tread of the boot sole. The impression is flat. I'm not sure if that is a bootprint at the bottom right corner.583937283_BCMtrack.jpg.53792939f2b3d30ed8943ff0c12f3443.jpg  

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, OkieFoot said:

.....could an experienced BF investigator begin to tel, or at least suspect, if a witness is making up their alleged "sighting"? I'm referring to a witness with some detail in their story. 

Just like a good cop, a bigfoot investigator can easily grade a report depending on the evidence. Those with more support and evidence are stronger than those with little support or evidence. For example, those with multiple witnesses, footprints to support the sighting, hair clumps on barbed wire fences, and supporting occurrances witnessed by the investigators themselves upon further investigation all add up to a strong report. The PG film event is the ultimate thst can inly be topped by a collected carcass. But even one like this is a fairly strong:

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=933

^^

I thought the most interesting detail in the link was the son's observation of the creature "lifting up it's feet more than people do." That's the same thing we see in the PGF and also in the Stacy Brown thermal footage.

• Thanks 1

• gigantor unfeatured this topic