Thoughts on the more "extreme" sightings?

James33

10 hours ago, Explorer said:

In these radio shows, we can't tell if the speaker is telling the truth, but we might be able to detect deception.

For example, in that last show from Sas Chronicles, with the story about the guy who was dismembered, the storyteller said 2 things that were red flags immediately and lowered his credibility.

1) He said that he and his buddy walked 15 miles following a bloody trail and left sticks for every body part found.  Hiking 15 miles out and 15 miles back will take a full day! And he claimed there was blood and body parts for 15 miles?!  I don't believe it.

2) He said that the unknown government agency brought dogs to leave wolf like tracks and then told the community at large that a pack of wolves killed the man.  To me, if a government agency tells the press that a pack of wolves is killing people in North Carolina, that would be front page news.  Even more significant than BF, because wolves are real animals.  I read that there are no gray wolves in NC, but that they have red wolves.  But I have no idea if a pack of red wolves have ever killed anybody in NC.   The whole cover story sounds bizarre.  

If people want us to take them seriously with extraordinary claims likes these, then at a minimum they should find the newspaper clippings or incident report for that incident describing how the man was discovered and dismembered over 15 miles and describing how the local F&G Dept. said it was done by wolves.

No newspaper or incident report on a human death?  Then it is just another wild tale for our entertainment.

I actually did some searching to verify some of the claims from this one as it was so extraordinary and had a human death involved. Surely there would be news accounts, right?  The witness stated it occurred near Cherokee NC.  There is such a place, but searching for wolves or missing people, or wild animal kills man, etc revealed nothing. You are also correct - there are red wolves in the area but no gray ones according to the little research I did.  The fact that he took no photos or has any physical evidence of anything is simply not believable. Still - it's an entertaining and spooky campfire story!

I’ve listened to about ~20 shows.  A lot of them seem very plausible.  I know Wes has his own controversy involving some moonlight during his encounter and I normally would call a spade a spade.  The show does provide a good platform for people to share their encounters.  

If I were to convince a skeptic I would go look at some police reports of anything describing a Sasquatch

On 12/17/2018 at 7:15 PM, spacemonkeymafia said:

I listen to all of them. Some are questionable, most are good listening. Recently a lady in her 60s was on and she got very detailed for her sighting 50 years ago. A little hard to believe people have such outstanding memory capability.

I also enjoy them as campfire stories, and often listen as I go to sleep.  I feel they range from occasionally unlistenable to fascinating.

The show you mention was, I believe, the one with the guest who was at a camp out with dozens of people in Washington in the late 60s, where she claimed to actually run in panic in circles around a bemused sasquatch with all the attenedees watching.  They then told the kids it was a bear and shipped them all home.

She seemed very ernest and level headed.  The story could be much more compelling if even a few of the other dozens of witnesses could corroborate.  I would imagine an event such as the one described would stick with anyone for life.

3 hours ago, spacemonkeymafia said:

Les Stroud will be this weeks guest for show #500.

That should be worth listening to.

On 12/17/2018 at 3:15 PM, spacemonkeymafia said:

........Recently a lady in her 60s was on and she got very detailed for her sighting 50 years ago. A little hard to believe people have such outstanding memory capability.

I can't remember the show number but........

My brother can’t even remember our childhood friends. His memory sucks. 

My memory is astounding.

I went to a Christmas party today on the Army post I worked at as a civilian for over 30 years. There was an older man there with white hair and beard like mine and who wa# the husband of a woman who works there and who I’ve known for at least 20 years, but I’ve never seen them together. During the party I heard him say that he wa# in the 23rd Engineers in the mid-70’s. I told him that I was there then. A few names were mentioned, and away we went. Within a minute, I remembered him! He pulled me and my 5-ton tactical dump truck out of a snow drift in the middle of the Delta River with a D-7 winch Cat  in February of 1976, nearly 43 years ago! Turns out we lived parallel lives, both working for the Alaska Railroad and DoD in Alaska, and never bumping into each other directly again. He didn’t remember me, but I remember him, and we knew the same people.

I’m glad I have a good memory. 

14 minutes ago, Huntster said:

I’m glad I have a good memory. 

Me as well.  I distinctly remember being a little kid hanging out in a friends basement rec room one day, picking up a magazine on the shelf, and seeing something that fascinated me.  I can even remember the name of the magazine - Argosy!

And to get back on track...  Maybe the story that intrigues me the most these days is the 1962 Oregon Columbus Day storm "body find".  Has anyone tried to find the actual original newpaper accounts off library microfiche? Could very well be just a tall tale, but would be interesting to hear more, or mqybe even see a separate thread on the alleged incident, if members are familiar with the details or have insight.

44 minutes ago, Rainshadow said:

Me as well.  I distinctly remember being a little kid hanging out in a friends basement rec room one day, picking up a magazine on the shelf, and seeing something that fascinated me.  I can even remember the name of the magazine - Argosy!

LOL.......I remember that same article. 

I love hearing the stories.  Hearing stories leads to curiosity.  Curiosity leads to inquiry.  Inquiry leads to discovery.  Discovery leads to telling another story.  Wet, lather, rinse, repeat.  Everything considered to be bigfoot "canon" comes from stories.  Stories that make us curious enough to ask questions and discover things we didn't know.  Sometimes it leads us to another story.  Sometimes we come away with a plaster cast or a recording or a few stray hairs.  Sometimes it leads us into the dark where things go bump in the night.  At the end of it, we have our own stories to tell.  If one wishes to derive fact from fiction and then truth from fact, one must tame inside themselves that which would cast away those things that do not fit one's own idea of what shape a fact should take.  It's an old saw of a saying, "When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."  The difficult part is differentiating the impossible from the possible.  What is possible today wasn't considered possible 100 years ago.  Too often the difference between the possible and the impossible is the limit of our understanding of the world around us.  So I listen to the stories and wait for one of them to spark a question and see where it leads.        

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Belpherion said:

Everything considered to be bigfoot "canon" comes from stories. 

The problem is that the stories presented by Sasquatch Chronicals and their ilk are dramatized to the point they are misleading and skew "canon."     What really happens out there only vaguely resembles what they spoon feed a gullible public.  :(  If you want to know what really goes on you have to get away from such scary-for-sale and talk to the witnesses in person. 

MIB

13 hours ago, Rainshadow said:

And to get back on track...  Maybe the story that intrigues me the most these days is the 1962 Oregon Columbus Day storm "body find".  Has anyone tried to find the actual original newpaper accounts off library microfiche? Could very well be just a tall tale, but would be interesting to hear more, or mqybe even see a separate thread on the alleged incident, if members are familiar with the details or have insight.

Couple of articles:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Vi0wkiAUZsUJ:sasquatchresearchers.org/forums/index.php%3F/topic/4260-sasquatch-body-from-columbus-day-storm-1962/+&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

https://bigfootballyhoo.blogspot.com/2010/07/reprint-of-columbus-day-storm-articles.html

Interesting, but zero evidence, as always. 

My "thoughts on the more extreme sightngs".

Fear exaggerates everything. I find that if I don't write things down immediately, my memories are suspect. My memory sucks. My kid has a photographic memory just like my grandfather, and I'm envious. I bet some stories are exaggerations, but based on real events.

we know very little about these things - we can't even agree if they are animals, people or something in between. We have no concrete, real data on their capabilities. We can't even agree on how many varieties of bf exist. How can we say anything in judgement of anyone's stories? 

The "Magic's just science that we don't understand yet" quote seems to be app!icable to much of the goings on of Bigfoot and their experiencers. In other words, they seem mysterious and possibly mystical until we have concrete facts. It's all in the minds of the experiencers how they interpret their data. No two people will define an event exactly the same, we all filter experience through our own worldviews.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• gigantor unfeatured this topic