Thoughts on the more "extreme" sightings?

James33

That is an excellent post.I agree about exaggerations. In my opinion that is the case when describing most mythical creatures. 

37 minutes ago, Patterson-Gimlin said:

That is an excellent post.I agree about exaggerations. In my opinion that is the case when describing most mythical creatures. 

Interesting thing, at least in abstract, as I see it.    I think that you, as a scientist, should be paying attention to this and be cognizant of the implications.     In areas where bigfoot "should" be, the report data, whether it is height, weight, track size, or other, generally follows the sort of bell curves you should expect from a biological population.    In areas where we're generally more skeptical of bigfoot reports because the terrain, cover, moisture, etc seem less suitable, bigfoot reports follow a different pattern, one which seems to be always-increasing.   To me that does not suggest a real biological thing, rather, it suggests attention seeking by people who are compelled to compete for that attention and feel they must one-up the last guy to get it.  Same seems to follow for behaviors though maybe not as clearly.    

I think there are attention seekers in the PacNW, SE, and other places where there are bigfoots, but their reports are only a small fraction of the total reports and can be identified as outliers ... say beyond 2 standard deviations from the norm.   On the other hand, the attention seekers in places w/o bigfoots or without significant numbers become a very much greater percentage of those regional totals.   This makes standard deviation less "solid", less repeatable.   Chi-square and all that.

I don't know .. but my personal opinion is the 9 foot tall three toed skinny monsters with glowing red eyes which were reported back in the '70s with UFO connections are something other than the bigfoots that trigger the reports here.   A statistical comparison would seem to make that conclusion unavoidable for a scientist and mathematician.    You could say they're just BS or you could say they're something else, but IMHO "Patty" they are not.

(I don't know if this makes any sense .. I hope it does.  I'm not always very good at explaining things.)

MIB

• Upvote 1

You explained it very well. The part you missed is I said most mythical creatures. I did not say most bigfoot sightings.

• Upvote 1

I know.    I should have been clearer.   Maybe another way to say what I said is this: I think this particular line is fuzzy.   When someone is hoaxing, you seemingly get "mythical creature" data patterns.   When someone is reporting something they truly saw, then you seemingly get "biological creature" data patterns.     I see symptoms of both in the data. 

Some people try to conclude that if there's one hoax it's all hoax, others try to conclude that if there's one real report, they're all real reports.   I don't accept either conclusion.   That's all I was trying to say.   Hope I didn't confuse things too much.

MIB

Not at all. I believe this particular subject is more than worthy of scientific  study. I am certainly in favor of that. 

Most mythical creatures not so much. 

I enjoy the reports and evidence presented from credible sources. 

You for instance. I appreciate your efforts and continued dedication. 

I would certainly not try and tell you that you didn't see what you saw.

Hope the foot is healed and the family is well. 

Edited by Patterson-Gimlin
  • Upvote 1

The wolf in North Carolina is not accurate. There have been no sightings of grey, or timber wolves in NC. North Carolina does have some really large what everyone here calls coyotes. I have personally seen a couple of these that would push 70 lbs. If you had a couple of these in a pack then they could easily kill a human if they tried. With that said I have never heard of them attacking humans either in media or through the grapevine. The fish and game department here in NC are not going to say anyone was killed by wolves, they just would'nt. I think this is a story  to create fear, and most people that do not live in NC and a lot of people that do would fall for it because they are not very aware of what goes on outside the city and in other states.

I completely agree.  Over the last couple of years the yote-dogs have arrived in force in my part of NC (Guilford county) to the extent that I think they are making a dent in the deer population (which I view as a good thing).  I feel safe in my local hikes only because I bring a pair of 80+ pound dogs with me.  

On 12/20/2018 at 8:19 PM, Huntster said:

My brother can’t even remember our childhood friends. His memory sucks. 

My memory is astounding.

I went to a Christmas party today on the Army post I worked at as a civilian for over 30 years. There was an older man there with white hair and beard like mine and who wa# the husband of a woman who works there and who I’ve known for at least 20 years, but I’ve never seen them together. During the party I heard him say that he wa# in the 23rd Engineers in the mid-70’s. I told him that I was there then. A few names were mentioned, and away we went. Within a minute, I remembered him! He pulled me and my 5-ton tactical dump truck out of a snow drift in the middle of the Delta River with a D-7 winch Cat  in February of 1976, nearly 43 years ago! Turns out we lived parallel lives, both working for the Alaska Railroad and DoD in Alaska, and never bumping into each other directly again. He didn’t remember me, but I remember him, and we knew the same people.

I’m glad I have a good memory. 

We take care of my mother in law at my house. She has Alzheimers bad. Doesnt remember anyone. Very sad.

I know this thread isn't specifically about Sasquatch Chronicles, but since it got mentioned in the original post.....

I've been listening to the show during my commute for a couple months now.  I started at #400 and just got to #500 to hear the Les Stroud episode (now I'll go back to #300 and work my way up again - it's just easier this way with the player I'm using). 

Some thoughts:

I'm surprised at the volume of guests from the South.  You'd think most of the BF accounts would be from the typical hot spots in the North West  but a lot of people are from the southern states.

I like to hear the eye witnesses recount their story in the first person instead of listening to someone read an account they got off the internet.  Although how do we know that's not what we're actually listening on SC?  I don't think so, but I'm sure someone will make that claim.

Yea, some people are embellishing their stories, maybe some are completely fabricated.  And honestly, I've had to skip past a couple because I just couldn't take their rambling on and on (boy some people just like to talk).  But most of them have been riveting and very compelling.  I have really enjoyed the show and yea, maybe it's not scientific research but it's entertaining at least. 

4 hours ago, norseman said:

We take care of my mother in law at my house. She has Alzheimers bad. Doesnt remember anyone. Very sad.

My heart goes out to you Norse. My sister and I were the caregivers for our mom for over 6 years. It can be very challenging and takes the patience of an angel. 

I remember every once in a while things seemed chaotic, very sad, and downward-spiraling, and I'd feel like I was living in the outer limits of darkness.  Thankfully,  I would catch myself and remember to be grateful for her being there every day because sometimes a loved one is snatched away unexpectedly and you never have an opportunity to say goodbye. 

Blessedly, I could say both hello and goodbye to her everyday for a long time.  Keep the faith brother.

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, norseman said:

I'm so sorry. That is truly sad. I'm sure your wife is heartbroken.

Edited by Huntster
  • Thanks 1

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 6:37 PM, MIB said:

I think there are attention seekers in the PacNW, SE, and other places where there are bigfoots, but their reports are only a small fraction of the total reports and can be identified as outliers ... say beyond 2 standard deviations from the norm.   On the other hand, the attention seekers in places w/o bigfoots or without significant numbers become a very much greater percentage of those regional totals.   This makes standard deviation less "solid", less repeatable.   Chi-square and all that

MIB

I have always been against these attention seekers . The ones who always think that they know everything that there is to know about these creatures when there is not. What do we really know about these creatures where we can actually predict where they will be like any other animal on earth. Nada! We cannot be in a spot where we can take a picture of them where they are drinking water or they are jumping a deer.  We can not hide in a place and film them where they are in a family unit where they are taking care of their young or giving birth.  Look at me where I am still in denial of what they have done knowing full well that it is true that it did happen yet I cannot explain it. I am not looking for attention but looking to keep my self sane.  I came here to seek here for answers and to see if others have experienced what I have. 

I know why people have stayed silent about their sighting. Why they stay silent so long with what they had experience. It is the redicule that one experience when one comes out when sees one of these creatures . You are not looked at as a normal human but as a crazy person. Even worse is if you hold a high position in life as a human where it will effect your reputation . No wonder people held back their encounters  and never reported them . They only reported them when they could no longer hold on to it. Just my opinion

Shadow, I was thinking about what I would do if I saw a Bigfoot.  I don’t know if I could keep it a secret.  But I would also be worried about my reputation in my community.   Arrowhead, where can I find the Sasquatch chronicles?

4 hours ago, Bigjeepman said:

Shadow, I was thinking about what I would do if I saw a Bigfoot.  I don’t know if I could keep it a secret.  But I would also be worried about my reputation in my community.   Arrowhead, where can I find the Sasquatch chronicles?

Bigjeepman

What would you do if you had an encounter?  what would be your reaction if you knew you had a place on the internet to tell about your encounter anonymously ? an encounter that does not fit with what others have encountered ? Coming out with your encounter right after you had it while it is still fresh on your mind where the encounter has you so excited that you have to tell others about it? Then after telling about your encounter you are being ridiculed and having to defend your self by people who have never encountered these creatures. This is what happens to people who come out with encounters and talk about those strange encounters with those who have not encountered them. They have no idea what it is like to encounter these creatures in nature. They change your prospective of who we are on earth.

There is some thing that happens to people when you talk about some thing that we our selves do not understand. The reaction is to attack what they do not understand what one has encountered. The problem is that witness  who has encountered the creature is trying to understand what was witnessed. To see these creatures is a shock to our body and our mind. It takes time to gain understanding of what witnesses have seen.  Especially those strange extreme encounters that cannot be explained. These are the ones that I have been studying and still have not gain no knowledge in with out going into the (WoW) aspect of it.

Looking at the reports a lot of them are from the past and not so much the present. A lot of the present reports are mostly road sighting reports and not so must visitations . My opinion is that they are holding on to the most strange reports. The ones that people do not understand and need people to investigate them. The more scary ones , the extreme ones. These are the reports that are being held back from the public. Again this is just my opinion and I can be wrong.  But you have to consider that I am a witness to these extreme encounters and know that they are real.