Matt Moneymaker, I Feel He Is Hurting The Bigfoot Field

I think Matt Moneymaker's reputation as a confrontational, ego-maniac within the Bigfoot world has really caused many to overestimate his impact on the reputation of Bigfoot researchers to the general public. Obviously Finding Bigfoot has done a great job of bringing Bigfoot back into the public eye. So lately it has been really easy to start up Bigfoot conversation with most anybody. I talk to a lot of people. I work in downtown Phoenix, and I also have a very large family that gathers frequently. It may be surprising to many of you, but Matt Moneymaker doesn't seem to incite any kind of reaction one way or the other to just about anyone I've talked to. From what I've gathered, everybody loves the show. I don't hear complaints about methods, and really Matt is basically just one of the team. If anyone stands out, it's Bobo. I think the average viewer has no idea how to best go about actually finding Bigfoot, and to be honest, I don't know how much they really care. I've never once heard, "they're doing it all wrong." I think going into the show, everyone inside Bigfoot circles already had a pre-formed opinion of Matt, so it was easy to let his "character flaws" be bothersome. If you had never heard of him or the BFRO, like basically everyone I've talked to, he has done very little (good or bad) to register any kind of strong feelings towards him. I guess what I'm saying is that he hasn't had very much of an impact, and I certainly don't think there should be any worries that he is gonna "ruin" the subject of Bigfoot in the minds of regular viewers.

MM isn't hurting research whatsoever! He's actually helping it, whether it seems that way to serious BF'ers, or not. We already know to take him with a grain of salt, but he gives the BF community exposure to people who wouldn't have an interest otherwise, in the form of TV and his site. No press, is bad press, right?

With that being said, the guy has no clue how to conduct himself in the field, and his methods are laughable, but he's still out there doing it, while most people are playing Monday morning quarterback to him. He may be motivated by greed, but what researchers aren't? I don't care what anyone says about their motivations...If there are copyrights, NDA's, secrecy, etc, then there is another element at play, other than recognition of the species.(Which is fine with me, btw. I'd do the same) People want to act like they have no alterior motives, but C'mon, man! Who doesn't? I'd call most researchers self-serving before I'd say they are out there for the good of the species.

As far as the BFRO forum goes...It bugs me too that critical comments are not allowed, but then again, if you had a business, would you allow bad comment cards to be plastered all over the walls? It's their site, so I don't have a problem with them doing as they please. I wouldn't allow the paranormal bs either. Being open-minded is one thing, but....

Welcome to BFF.

par·a·nor·mal

[par-uh-nawr-muhl]

adjective

of or pertaining to the claimed occurrence of an event or perception without scientific explanation, as psychokinesis, extrasensory perception, or other purportedly supernatural phenomena.

"Paranormal" certainly does have a connotation of being supernatural, or beyond what is natural. I'm not a fan of Moneymaker by any stretch, but bigfoot isn't necessarily paranormal. There are those here that believe they are, that they're capable of dematerialization and "mind-speak" telepathy, but that's still an unproven opinion. Those with the best self-proclaimed opportunity to prove anything seem remarkably least willing to do so. Odd, that..... Or not.

I agree but Matt moneymaker has and is doing a lot of good for Bigfoot resarch. The BFRO has a open database for any one to see the show finding Bigfoot has showed wittness been dealt with in a postive way this might lead to more people with sightings to come forward. Persoanal think that paranormal and Bigfoot different as with Bigfoot been a part of cryptozoology it is a part of a testable science zoology, as where a lot of part of the paranormal are not testable so is not conserderd a science.

Guest wudewasa

I think Matt Moneymaker's reputation as a confrontational, ego-maniac within the Bigfoot world has really caused many to overestimate his impact on the reputation of Bigfoot researchers to the general public.

Hammer meet nail!

However, several people that have watched Finding Bigfoot have a strong distaste for the guy. After watching MM's meltdown after chasing after the person "spying" on the team, a person said to me "If that guy was running at me at night and looked like he wanted a fight, I would make sure that he never made that mistake again!" Granted, MM's behavior towards other people in the bigfoot field has made him some bitter enemies.

Hopefully, I'll never have the displeasure of running into MM ANYWHERE!

Guest StankApe

I've never thought being a personable individual was a prerequisite for doing good work.... IMO, anyone who is out attempting to research Bigfoot in the public eye is by proxy doing good things for the Bigfoot community. He may not have methods that we all think are perfect, but the show has had to have garnered increased interest from the public at large. That can't possibly be a bad thing.

I've never thought being a personable individual was a prerequisite for doing good work.... IMO, anyone who is out attempting to research Bigfoot in the public eye is by proxy doing good things for the Bigfoot community. He may not have methods that we all think are perfect, but the show has had to have garnered increased interest from the public at large. That can't possibly be a bad thing.

Have to agree with you there....altho due to his personality quirks they may want to limit his time on camera to informational talks. Every time they show him on his head-cam rolling his eyes it's just redunculous. :lol: MM has brought Bigfoot to the masses, but not all folks come off good on camera, thru no fault of their own.

They're not invisible or paranormal. They're simply not there anymore. Extinct like T-Rex. It's too late human's aren't going to come face to face them any more then we'll come face to face with T-Rex.

The obvious problem with that statement is that people ARE still "coming face to face" with BF, tracks continue to be cast, hairs and samples collected, etc.

They're not invisible or paranormal. They're simply not there anymore. Extinct like T-Rex. It's too late human's aren't going to come face to face them any more then we'll come face to face with T-Rex.

The obvious problem with that statement is that people ARE still "coming face to face" with BF, tracks continue to be cast, hairs and samples collected, etc.

Guest wudewasa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHbd5vAETk0

Granted, he comes off like a used car salesman, but I think he is sincere in his beliefs.

"I would challenge your teacher to actually produce someone who actually said they saw one of these things in the French Alps. I doubt that. I was just there actually like last year."- MM

Challenging an instructor usually doesn't work well. I've been to the PNW and didn't see a bigfoot, so I guess they don't exist there, according to MM's logic. European stories are just legends, but First Nation stories are viable. Ethnocentrism rears it's biased head yet again!

Here Fox News (not my favorite media source) engages in a conversation with MM. They call him out some information on his website as well as some of his claims. Edited by wudewasa

How can Bigfootery be harmed by the antics of individual researchers? To the general public, nuts acting nutty is normal.

Biggie is a hot commodity right now................his 15 minutes of fame so to speak. Just like the TV show of a dysfunctional family building choppers didn't hurt the biker world, this won't have any lasting effect on bigfootery.

I feel the same. 10yrs later their show is still going too. I wonder how long the FB show will last...

In closing, Matt has a lot of influence, and even more now that he has the reality show, and i feel its hurting more than anything.

How can you be so opinionated to believe in bigfoot and at the same time question another mans beliefs, or methods on this same subject that's never been proven? He's hurting bigfoot? Are you kidding us? The man has probably done more to make people aware of it than anyone ever has. You can't hurt bigfoot, this thread is ridiculous.

Most people are just turned off my MM's personality and habit of making rash, over-generalized and unverifiable statements. Many also hold it against him that he has managed to earn a living by doing all of these things. Personally I don't hold his ability to make a living off Bigfoot against him. If people want to pay money to go on a BFRO trip that is their right and at least they are out in the woods and not in front of the TV 24/7 watching Finding Bigfoot or anything else on the boob tube. Matt does have knowledge to share. He has more field time than 90% of the people here on this forum myself not the least among them. My personal distaste for his methods and demeanor aside at least he is out there beating the bush and walking the trails. He was doing this long before he had a television crew in tow and he will be still be doing it after the show is dead and gone. Matt wants to make some money yes, but I personally believe that as many who have seen these beings, he just wants to see it again. It's fun to go along for the ride on the show, non performance of actual research aside I enjoy seeing the locations and hearing the witnesses speak first-hand. If you enjoy all things Sasquatch who among us would not jump at the chance to join the team on the show and try to bring the same objectivity that Cliff, Renae and Bobo attempt to apply, aside from Matt's brash tomfoolery?

Respectfully submitted

Waylon

• 5 years later...

Moneymaker has written some of the most insightful stuff available on this topic.  I fear, however, that he is sliding toward the Bobo End of the spectrum.  Fame TV frustration and who knows what else are taking their toll, it seems.

Yet another way in which Finding Bigfoot is really problematical.  On the one hand, witnesses now know a place to report, as evidenced by every new spate of BFRO reports being almost exclusively encounters in the current calendar year, or the one or two prior. (If you think that is a pure artifact of FB, please start paying attention; any day now would be good, thank you.)  But it's awful science.  It's actually anti-science.  Thanks there, Matt.

Of course then steps in my iron rule of squatchery:  never blame the animal's nonexistence on the people searching for it.

Edited by DWA

8 hours ago, DWA said:

Moneymaker has written some of the most insightful stuff available on this topic.  I fear, however, that he is sliding toward the Bobo End of the spectrum.  Fame TV frustration and who knows what else are taking their toll, it seems.

Yet another way in which Finding Bigfoot is really problematical.  On the one hand, witnesses now know a place to report, as evidenced by every new spate of BFRO reports being almost exclusively encounters in the current calendar year, or the one or two prior. (If you think that is a pure artifact of FB, please start paying attention; any day now would be good, thank you.)  But it's awful science.  It's actually anti-science.  Thanks there, Matt.

Of course then steps in my iron rule of squatchery:  never blame the animal's nonexistence on the people searching for it.

Dont know him, but some of the stuff he tweets certainly does not help how folks might perceive him. Very seemingly prone to making claims as fact with no supporting evidence. I for one am glad the show is finally peetering out.

• masterbarber pinned this topic
  • masterbarber unpinned this topic